camera for my father

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by steph, Dec 6, 2008.

  1. steph

    steph Guest

    Hi group,

    My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    my task is to choose one!

    My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.

    So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    any model that fits my needs. any ideas?

    thanks,
    stephan

    steph, Dec 6, 2008

  2. steph wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    > my task is to choose one!
    >
    > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    > too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    > he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >
    > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    > with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    > of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    > any model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >
    > thanks,
    > stephan

    Stephan,

    When faced with a similar requirement a couple of years back, the
    recipient chose a Canon A630:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082404canona630640.asp

    so you may want to look for something similar. Probably one of the Canon
    enthusiasts here can bring that suggestion up to date. Having said that,
    almost all cameras will work automatically today, and produce good
    results. So handling may matter most, button size, legibility of menus
    etc. Ease of use.

    You may have more problems with concepts like copying the image files from
    the card to the computer, storing in directories, organising directories
    and perhaps slide shows, and printing. Or will your father simply take
    the card to the photo shop and get them to print what's on the card? It
    /could/ be an idea that, as cards are now so cheap, to have the idea of
    not re-using the card, and treating the card like negatives which you
    keep. You'll typically get several hundred - perhaps even more than a
    thousand - pictures on a card using the "normal" save quality, which may
    be quite adequate for your father's needs.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 6, 2008

  3. steph

    ransley Guest

    On Dec 6, 6:27 am, steph <> wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    > my task is to choose one!
    >
    > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    > too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    > he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >
    > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    > with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    > of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    > any model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >
    > thanks,
    > stephan

    An Lcd screen is how they are come, viewfinders are becoming rare,
    once you have a Lcd you wont do without it. A Canon G9 or 10 is
    something I would like its controls are like an old analog and has a
    view finder-Lcd. www.dpreview.com is a good place for real reviews.

    ransley, Dec 6, 2008
  4. steph

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 04:27:21 -0800, steph wrote:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And my
    > task is to choose one!
    >
    > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's too
    > complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions, he'll
    > never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >
    > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus, with
    > view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos of
    > decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find any
    > model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >
    > thanks,
    > stephan

    Sounds like he 'needs' a film range finder.

    ray, Dec 6, 2008
  5. steph

    J. Clarke Guest

    steph wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    > my task is to choose one!
    >
    > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and
    > technical
    > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film
    > up
    > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    > too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    > he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >
    > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    > with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    > of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    > any model that fits my needs. any ideas?

    Does he have any kind of camera now, if so what, and what accessories
    does he have for it?

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Dec 6, 2008
  6. steph

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 04:27:21 -0800 (PST), steph wrote:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    > my task is to choose one!
    >
    > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    > too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    > he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >
    > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    > with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    > of decent quality. price should be around 300¤. so far i didn't find
    > any model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >
    > thanks,
    > stephan

    Have a look at the Nikon P5100 seems to fit all the needs
    you state and is under the $300 mark.

    Irwell, Dec 6, 2008
  7. steph

    Don Stauffer Guest

    ransley wrote:
    ..

    > An Lcd screen is how they are come, viewfinders are becoming rare,
    > once you have a Lcd you wont do without it. A Canon G9 or 10 is
    > something I would like its controls are like an old analog and has a
    > view finder-Lcd. www.dpreview.com is a good place for real reviews.

    I never use the LCD screen (except for menus). My Canon P & S has both
    optical and LCD but I still prefer the optical. I also have a DSLR, but
    use the P & S for a pocket camera.

    Now, I am two years older than Stephan's dad, so maybe I am stuck in my
    ways, but then again, I switched to digital over ten years ago and use
    PS Elements and PSP all the time. So I am comfortable with digital
    technology. It is just that to me the optical viewfinders are more
    natural and more easily viewed, especially in sunlight.

    Don Stauffer, Dec 6, 2008
  8. steph

    wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >
    >My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    >my task is to choose one!
    >
    >My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    >gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    >to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    >too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    >he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >
    >So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    >analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    >with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    >of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    >any model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >
    >thanks,
    >stephan

    You are headed in the right direction. You may have to give up a
    few look and feel things however. Most if not all modern digital
    cameras, other than advanced DSLR types then to be different than any
    film camera.

    That said, I would suggest one additional thing. Look at the
    button size and the size of the camera. I suggest one factor would be
    the size and location of all controls. Think larger is better. That
    is true for the camera itself. Like the cell phone the JitterBug,
    simple and large is good.

    The good part of all this is the overall quality of the cameras on
    the market is rather good and many are easy to use. The bad part is
    that most of them are physically too small.

    , Dec 6, 2008
  9. steph

    SMS Guest

    steph wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    > my task is to choose one!
    >
    > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    > too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    > he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >
    > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    > with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    > of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    > any model that fits my needs. any ideas?

    Well the viewfinder requirement really narrows it down!

    For my mother and step-father, I got them something like that many years
    ago, and I got them a model with a dock. So they stick the camera on the
    dock, the photos get transferred to their PC, and the camera battery is
    charged. Nothing to open, nothing to remove. I wouldn't worry about your
    father learning how to use the camera in full auto-mode, it's what to do
    after he takes the photos that's the problem. You need to show him how
    to get prints.

    Alas, there are very few cameras with docks any more, and of those, even
    fewer with a viewfinder.

    The Kodak Camera Dock Series 3 works with the Z1015 IS, and that camera
    has an electronic viewfinder (in addition to the LCD). The camera and
    dock would run about $300 in the U.S..

    SMS, Dec 6, 2008
  10. Allen <> wrote:
    >ransley wrote:
    >> An Lcd screen is how they are come, viewfinders are becoming rare,

    Unfortunately that's very true.

    >> once you have a Lcd you wont do without it. A Canon G9 or 10 is

    I respectfully diagree. There are a few situations, where an LCD is more
    versatile, but otherwise an optical viewfinder is _MUCH_ better. My P&S
    has both and I rarely use the LCD to compose a photo.

    >LCDs are fine in many cases. Those many cases, in my experience,
    >definitely DO NOT include using them outdoors in bright sunshine and in
    >tracking action.

    Also at age 68 he most likely must use reading lenses to see the LCD
    sharp while there's no such need with an optical viewfinder.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Dec 6, 2008
  11. steph

    steph Guest

    On 6 Dez., 14:48, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > steph wrote:
    > > Hi group,

    > > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    > > my task is to choose one!

    > > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and
    > > technical
    > > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film
    > > up
    > > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    > > too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    > > he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.

    > > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    > > with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    > > of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    > > any model that fits my needs. any ideas?

    > Does he have any kind of camera now, if so what, and what accessories
    > does he have for it?

    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    he's got a small automatic film camera. i think it's an ixus or the
    like.

    steph, Dec 6, 2008
  12. steph

    Pete D Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 04:27:21 -0800, steph wrote:
    >
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And my
    >> task is to choose one!
    >>
    >> My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    >> gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    >> to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's too
    >> complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions, he'll
    >> never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >>
    >> So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    >> analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus, with
    >> view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos of
    >> decent quality. price should be around 300?. so far i didn't find any
    >> model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> stephan

    > Sounds like he 'needs' a film range finder.

    Agree, nothing wrong with film, no cards to worry about, no need for a
    computer or learning how to use on, shoot away, drop the film off and a few
    hours later there are your prints.

    Pete D, Dec 6, 2008
  13. steph

    Pete D Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >> Allen <> wrote:

    >> Unfortunately that's very true.

    >> I respectfully diagree. There are a few situations, where an LCD is more
    >> versatile, but otherwise an optical viewfinder is _MUCH_ better. My P&S
    >> has both and I rarely use the LCD to compose a photo.
    >>
    >>> LCDs are fine in many cases. Those many cases, in my experience,
    >>> definitely DO NOT include using them outdoors in bright sunshine and in
    >>> tracking action.

    >> Also at age 68 he most likely must use reading lenses to see the LCD
    >> sharp while there's no such need with an optical viewfinder.
    >>
    >> jue

    > You have accidentally made it look like the one who has no use for optical
    > finders. I would not consider a camera without an eye-level vf unless I
    > wanted it only for indoor fairly stationary subjects. Incidentally, I'm 79
    > and my problem is the opposite--I need glasses to see the subject rather
    > than the image; for some reason I am becoming more and more nearsighted.
    > Allen

    I wear multifocals and have no problems using viewfinders or screens.

    Pete D, Dec 6, 2008
  14. steph

    Pete D Guest

    "steph" <> wrote in message
    On 6 Dez., 14:48, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > steph wrote:
    > > Hi group,

    > > My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    > > my task is to choose one!

    > > My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and
    > > technical
    > > gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film
    > > up
    > > to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    > > too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    > > he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.

    > > So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    > > analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    > > with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    > > of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    > > any model that fits my needs. any ideas?

    > Does he have any kind of camera now, if so what, and what accessories
    > does he have for it?

    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    he's got a small automatic film camera. i think it's an ixus or the
    like.

    And what is the problem with using that? Sounds like you are trying to fix
    something that is not broken.

    Pete D, Dec 6, 2008
  15. steph

    Charles Guest

    "steph" <> wrote in message
    Hi group,

    My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
    my task is to choose one!

    My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.

    So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
    of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
    any model that fits my needs. any ideas?

    Been there, done that. Forget it. Tell Mom to buy him something else.

    Charles, Dec 6, 2008
  16. steph

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 03:13:19 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > steph wrote:
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And my
    >> task is to choose one!
    >>
    >> My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    >> gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    >> to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
    >> too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
    >> he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >>
    >> So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    >> analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus, with
    >> view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos of
    >> decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find any
    >> model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> stephan

    > Any Kodak model under $200. They are easy to use, and produce pictures
    > that should be satisfactory to him, and he will be comfortable with the
    > brand name. Emphasize that he can take the 'electronic film' to
    > Wal-Mart and get prints just like he did with the film camera, but that
    > he gets to reuse the 'electronic film'. He should be quite happy.

    If an approach like that is taken, it would be very good to walk him
    through the process a couple of times before turning him loose - and
    follow up periodically.

    ray, Dec 7, 2008
  17. steph

    J. Clarke Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 03:13:19 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> steph wrote:
    >>> Hi group,
    >>>
    >>> My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift.
    >>> And my task is to choose one!
    >>>
    >>> My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and
    >>> technical gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to
    >>> cameras
    >>> with film up to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he
    >>> gets one that's too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many
    >>> useless functions, he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste
    >>> of money.
    >>>
    >>> So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an
    >>> old
    >>> analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
    >>> with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces
    >>> fotos of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i
    >>> didn't find any model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>> stephan

    >> Any Kodak model under $200. They are easy to use, and produce
    >> pictures that should be satisfactory to him, and he will be
    >> comfortable with the brand name. Emphasize that he can take the
    >> 'electronic film' to Wal-Mart and get prints just like he did with
    >> the film camera, but that he gets to reuse the 'electronic film'.
    >> He should be quite happy.

    > If an approach like that is taken, it would be very good to walk him
    > through the process a couple of times before turning him loose - and
    > follow up periodically.

    You're all making assumptions. "Only used to cameras that use film up
    to now" doesn't mean that he has a point and shoot and takes his film
    to Wal-Mart.

    J. Clarke, Dec 7, 2008
  18. steph

    JC Dill Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > When faced with a similar requirement a couple of years back, the
    > recipient chose a Canon A630:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082404canona630640.asp
    >
    > so you may want to look for something similar.

    Ditto.

    > Probably one of the
    > Canon enthusiasts here can bring that suggestion up to date. Having
    > said that, almost all cameras will work automatically today, and produce
    > good results. So handling may matter most, button size, legibility of
    > menus etc. Ease of use.

    These are very important issues for older users. My father is 73, and
    he has problems with the tiny fonts used in the menus, etc.

    > You may have more problems with concepts like copying the image files
    > from the card to the computer, storing in directories, organising
    > directories and perhaps slide shows, and printing. Or will your father
    > simply take the card to the photo shop and get them to print what's on
    > the card? It /could/ be an idea that, as cards are now so cheap, to
    > have the idea of not re-using the card, and treating the card like
    > negatives which you keep.

    Consider getting and configuring Eye-Fi for him, so that his photos are
    automatically copied from the camera to the computer.

    http://www.eye.fi/

    Even better, configure Eye-Fi to upload his photos to a photo sharing
    site at the same time (e.g. Flickr). Now he has an automatic backup -
    photos on his computer and on a server at the sharing site.

    jc

    JC Dill, Dec 7, 2008
  19. Ï "Pete D" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 04:27:21 -0800, steph wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi group,
    >>>
    >>> My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And my
    >>> task is to choose one!
    >>>
    >>> My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
    >>> gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
    >>> to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's too
    >>> complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions, he'll
    >>> never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.
    >>>
    >>> So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
    >>> analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus, with
    >>> view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos of
    >>> decent quality. price should be around 300?. so far i didn't find any
    >>> model that fits my needs. any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>> stephan

    >> Sounds like he 'needs' a film range finder.

    > Agree, nothing wrong with film, no cards to worry about, no need for a
    > computer or learning how to use on, shoot away, drop the film off and a
    > few hours later there are your prints.

    Seconded. I encouraged my godmother (65) to continue using her film camera,
    and my sister's godmother (82) to get another film camera P&S when her
    current is completely toast. While my godmother has a laptop, she needs
    "private lessons" for almost everything, and I think a digital camera would
    be a major stress. There are ,many film P&S going for less than 100 euros
    now. Using a digital the way you used a film camera misses all benefits, and
    if you just print the photos and burn a cd at the local photo lab will be
    much more expensive thatn the usual flow with your own computer (which you
    will have anyway and not just for photos, unlike traditional darkroom
    equipment.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Dec 7, 2008
  20. steph

    SMS Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > Agree, nothing wrong with film, no cards to worry about, no need for a
    > computer or learning how to use on, shoot away, drop the film off and a few
    > hours later there are your prints.

    My mom's about 80, and as un-technical as they come, but using a
    computer to send e-mail, web-browse, and use the digital camera, is
    something she's able to do, and all her friends of similar ages are also
    able to use computers to the extent of importing digital pictures. The
    Kodak camera with the dock really simplified things for her and her
    husband. I was amazed when she managed to attach a photo to an e-mail.

    Of course my brother and I provide lifetime free technical support. Up
    until 9:00 p.m. ET she calls him. After 9:00 p.m., west coast technical
    support takes over and she calls me.

    Our favorite tech support scenario is when we ask my stepfather "what's
    on the screen now" and he reads us _everything_ on the screen;
    'copyright 2007, Microsoft Corporation, all rights reserved... .'

    SMS, Dec 7, 2008