    waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving and
    their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings for
    "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...
    Antonio Huerta, Jan 31, 2009

  2. Antonio Huerta

    1hogrider Guest

    Antonio Huerta wrote:
    > I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    > What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive
    > one, because it is first of all for experimenting. And I would not be
    > sorry if I did not do much diving (thus would not be sorry for the
    > sunken cost... gee, pun not intended).
    >
    > I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    > waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving and
    > their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings for
    > "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    Underwater cameras can be had for several hundred dollars all the way to
    $10,000 and more. What I gather from you is you are leaning more
    towards the "hundreds of dollars" range.

    What depth are you planning on taking it? There are some very
    inexpensive "snorkling depth" type cameras (15 ft or so). SeaLife makes
    some fairly good yet relatively inexpensive camera systems.

    I have a SeaLife DC310 and get fairly good results for a 3.1 MP camera.
    They no longer make this camera but you may be able to get one on Ebay
    from someone who is upgrading. I would recommend whatever camera you
    get, also get an external strobe. Makes all the difference in the world
    in color and detail.

    You are correct that housings are made for regular land cameras so they
    can be used underwater but you can be talking at least $1000 or more.
    Ikelite makes such housings.

    I dive with a friend who I think has an Olympus with the underwater
    housing. He is happy with it but does not use an external strobe.
    If you are interested, I can direct you to pictures I took with my
    system and pictures he took.
    1hogrider, Jan 31, 2009

  3. Antonio Huerta

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jan 31, 5:46 am, Antonio Huerta <> wrote:
    > I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    > What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive
    > one, because it is first of all for experimenting. And I would not be
    > sorry if I did not do much diving (thus would not be sorry for the
    > sunken cost... gee, pun not intended).
    >
    > I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    > waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving and
    > their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings for
    > "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    Any high-end DSLR with a 10+ megapixel count of should suit your
    purposes. You have to read teh fine print, but trust me, they are all
    guaranteed to be completley waterproof to 100m, straight out of the
    box.

    --
    YOP...
    Nervous Nick, Jan 31, 2009
  4. On Jan 31, 10:00 pm, 1hogrider <> wrote:
    > Antonio Huerta wrote:
    > > I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    > > What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive
    > > one, because it is first of all for experimenting. And I would not be
    > > sorry if I did not do much diving (thus would not be sorry for the
    > > sunken cost... gee, pun not intended).

    > > I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    > > waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving and
    > > their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings for
    > > "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    > Underwater cameras can be had for several hundred dollars all the way to
    > $10,000 and more.  What I gather from you is you are leaning more
    > towards the "hundreds of dollars" range.
    >
    > What depth are you planning on taking it?  There are some very
    > inexpensive "snorkling depth" type cameras (15 ft or so).  SeaLife makes
    > some fairly good yet relatively inexpensive camera systems.

    Thanks for your reply. I am planning on snorkelling. As such, I am
    looking at the depth of diving of up to 3 m, and a range of camera of
    1-5 m (greater if possible).

    I was thinking about an inexpensive camera. I did a search on
    dpreview, and found Ricoh G600, which was watreproofed according to
    JIS grade 7. This means that the camera can stand 30 minutes at a
    depth of 1 m, http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html . Perhaps,
    it could withstand larger depth ? It probably could do it, at a
    stretch. Or not ?

    Here is the camera Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, which is rated JIS grade
    8. This means that it can be continiously immersed into the water at
    the conditions more severe than the camera above, JIS grade 7. The
    description of Olympus says that the camera is waterproofed up to the
    depth 33 ft, or 10 m, http://www.digicamera.com/reviews/olympus_stylus_8000/
    .. This is what I need !

    (Interestingly, its younger sibling model 6000, which has 10 MP
    resolution instead of 12 MP, is rated only to a depth of 10 ft, or 3
    m.)

    On the whole, I'd prefer Ricoh G600 because of its better image
    quality, if it was waterproof enough.

    A.H.

    Antonio Huerta, Jan 31, 2009
  5. Antonio Huerta

    muffinnman Guest

    On Jan 31, 6:46 am, Antonio Huerta <> wrote:
    > I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    > What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive
    > one, because it is first of all for experimenting. And I would not be
    > sorry if I did not do much diving (thus would not be sorry for the
    > sunken cost... gee, pun not intended).
    >
    > I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    > waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving and
    > their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings for
    > "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    I have a Canon Powershot SD850 8.1 Megapixel camera. It's a land
    camera that costs around $200.00. I also use an underwater housing
    made for this camera that cost about $200.00 also. The housing is
    "rated" for a depth up to 165 feet, although I've taken mine to 200
    feet without any issues. There are other Canon models that also have
    housings available as well. My camera uses an SD card which allows
    you to take thousands of Super High Quality pictures on one card. (An
    8 Gig card allows about 2300 pictures at the highest level). I love
    the camera because it also takes great quicktime movies too. I find
    that the deeper I go or the further away something is, I use the movie
    option as the quality of the image is better. And outside of the
    water, the camera is just as good and very compact for your tourist
    needs. Hope that helps!
    muffinnman, Jan 31, 2009
  6. Antonio Huerta

    Grumman-581 Guest

    Antonio Huerta <> wrote in

    > I was thinking about an inexpensive camera. I did a search on
    > dpreview, and found Ricoh G600, which was watreproofed according to
    > JIS grade 7. This means that the camera can stand 30 minutes at a
    > depth of 1 m, http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html . Perhaps,
    > it could withstand larger depth ? It probably could do it, at a
    > stretch. Or not ?

    What this means in real world is that you can probably take the camera
    out in the rain... If you're lucky, maybe even a heavy rainstorm...

    > Here is the camera Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, which is rated JIS grade
    > 8. This means that it can be continiously immersed into the water at
    > the conditions more severe than the camera above, JIS grade 7. The
    > description of Olympus says that the camera is waterproofed up to the
    > depth 33 ft, or 10 m,
    > http://www.digicamera.com/reviews/olympus_stylus_8000/ . This is what
    > I need !

    Which means that you can take it in the bathtub with you...

    If you are only going to be taking a few photos, you might want to
    consider an older film camera and housing... Some underwater
    photographers are switching over from film to digital and you can
    sometimes get really good deals on the old cameras and housings...

    If you're willing to settle for the point-and-shoot type of digital
    cameras, your best bet is to just look for housings that are acceptable
    in price and then buy the camera that goes with it... Otherwise, you
    might get a camera that no one makes a housing for or if they do, it is
    overly expensive...

    As far as megapixels go, you don't necessarily need 10+mp unless you are
    going to be doing significant cropping or enlarging the photos to poster
    size or better... If you are just going to post them on a web page, even
    a 2mp camera will produce images larger than most monitor resolutions...

    --
    See NNTP header field "X-Real-Email-Address" to reply by email.
    Grumman-581, Jan 31, 2009
  7. Antonio Huerta

    Lee Bell Guest

    > Thanks for your reply. I am planning on snorkelling. As such, I am
    > looking at the depth of diving of up to 3 m, and a range of camera of
    > 1-5 m (greater if possible).

    > I was thinking about an inexpensive camera. I did a search on
    > dpreview, and found Ricoh G600, which was watreproofed according to
    > JIS grade 7. This means that the camera can stand 30 minutes at a
    > depth of 1 m, http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html . Perhaps,
    > it could withstand larger depth ? It probably could do it, at a
    > stretch. Or not ?

    Not a chance. Don't even think about it.

    > Here is the camera Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, which is rated JIS grade
    > 8. This means that it can be continiously immersed into the water at
    > the conditions more severe than the camera above, JIS grade 7. The
    > description of Olympus says that the camera is waterproofed up to the
    > depth 33 ft, or 10 m,
    > http://www.digicamera.com/reviews/olympus_stylus_8000/
    > This is what I need !

    Probably. I have the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. It's shock and waterproof to
    the depths you're talking about. It's a 10.1 mp camera with some very nice
    featues both for underwater and land use. I particularly like it's panorama
    feature and its setting specifically for balancing colors underwater.

    > On the whole, I'd prefer Ricoh G600 because of its better image
    > quality, if it was waterproof enough.

    If you're a good enough photographer to tell the difference, you're good
    enough to buy a high end camera.

    Lee
    Lee Bell, Jan 31, 2009
  8. Antonio Huerta

    Lee Bell Guest

    >> I was thinking about an inexpensive camera. I did a search on
    >> dpreview, and found Ricoh G600, which was watreproofed according to
    >> JIS grade 7. This means that the camera can stand 30 minutes at a
    >> depth of 1 m, http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html . Perhaps,
    >> it could withstand larger depth ? It probably could do it, at a
    >> stretch. Or not ?

    > What this means in real world is that you can probably take the camera
    > out in the rain... If you're lucky, maybe even a heavy rainstorm...

    Correct

    >> Here is the camera Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, which is rated JIS grade
    >> 8. This means that it can be continiously immersed into the water at
    >> the conditions more severe than the camera above, JIS grade 7. The
    >> description of Olympus says that the camera is waterproofed up to the
    >> depth 33 ft, or 10 m,
    >> http://www.digicamera.com/reviews/olympus_stylus_8000/ . This is what
    >> I need !

    > Which means that you can take it in the bathtub with you...

    I don't know about the Tough 8000, but my Olympus Stylus 1050 SW is
    specifically designed for snorkeling. It's particularly good for taking
    underwater shots of those bathing beauties you're so fond of watching in
    North Florida springs.

    > If you are only going to be taking a few photos, you might want to
    > consider an older film camera and housing... Some underwater
    > photographers are switching over from film to digital and you can
    > sometimes get really good deals on the old cameras and housings...

    I really, really, really recommend against a film camera for someone just
    starting underwater photography. For the first year or so, the ration
    between keeper and garbage pictures is quite low. Developing and printing
    are not cheap. The high cost for a low return has turned many a photographer
    away from taking underwater shots. With digital, the shots you don't like,
    don't cost you anything.

    > If you're willing to settle for the point-and-shoot type of digital
    > cameras, your best bet is to just look for housings that are acceptable
    > in price and then buy the camera that goes with it... Otherwise, you
    > might get a camera that no one makes a housing for or if they do, it is
    > overly expensive...

    A pretty good idea, actually. In most cases, the housing will be good to
    greater depths than snorkeling cameras like mine. Those that may consider
    diving one day should consider this option carefully. The downside is that
    the combination of camera and housing, even for the point and shoot models,
    is likely to be more than the better quality waterproof options. If all
    you're going to do is snorkel, you get more bang for your buck with a
    snorkeling camera.

    > As far as megapixels go, you don't necessarily need 10+mp unless you are
    > going to be doing significant cropping or enlarging the photos to poster
    > size or better... If you are just going to post them on a web page, even
    > a 2mp camera will produce images larger than most monitor resolutions...

    Correct.

    Lee
    Lee Bell, Jan 31, 2009
  9. Antonio Huerta

    Joerg Hahn Guest

    Hi Antonio,

    Antonio Huerta wrote:
    > I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    > What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive

    Olympus c5000z with Oly PT-19 housing
    No external flash 2years ago kitprice 265,-- Euros

    Tested 80m no problems

    Albums beneath, you see see good and bad eexamples of casual
    photos.

    Joerg

    --
    Meine Erinnerungs-Knips-Fotos
    http://www.notabstieg.de/egypt-7-2006/index.html
    Joerg Hahn, Jan 31, 2009
  10. Antonio Huerta

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 04:35:44 -0800 (PST), Antonio Huerta
    <> wrote:

    >I was thinking about an inexpensive camera. I did a search on
    >dpreview, and found Ricoh G600, which was watreproofed according to
    >JIS grade 7. This means that the camera can stand 30 minutes at a
    >depth of 1 m, http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html . Perhaps,
    >it could withstand larger depth ? It probably could do it, at a
    >stretch. Or not ?

    There is no appreciable difference of effect of immersing a camera in
    water that is 1 meter deep compared to the maximum depth that a
    snorkler will use it. The seals will remain water-tight at the depths
    a snorkler reaches if the seals remain water-tight at all. That's the
    normal snorkler, not a free-diver.

    All the tests reveal is that the camera remained water-tight at given
    depths and times in the testing protocol.

    My dive camera is film, but if I was purchasing a digital I would
    purchase a standard digital and a separate underwater housing. The
    long-term effects of using a camera in water is in the corrosion that
    results from inadequate rinsing and drying. The underwater housings
    are easier to rinse and dry, and are less affected by corrosion. A
    good underwater housing will out-last the camera.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 31, 2009
  11. Joerg Hahn wrote:
    > Hi Antonio,
    >
    > Antonio Huerta wrote:
    >> I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    >> What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive

    > Olympus c5000z with Oly PT-19 housing
    > No external flash 2years ago kitprice 265,-- Euros
    >
    > Tested 80m no problems
    >
    > Albums beneath, you see see good and bad eexamples of casual photos.

    Another option is the cheapo disposable, such as

    <http://www.ebestsource.com/product/FUJIQUICKSNAPWATER?meta=FRG&utm_source=GBASE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=>

    $14.00 US.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jan 31, 2009
  12. Antonio Huerta

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:46:08 -0800, Antonio Huerta wrote:

    > I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    > What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive one,
    > because it is first of all for experimenting. And I would not be sorry
    > if I did not do much diving (thus would not be sorry for the sunken
    > cost... gee, pun not intended).
    >
    > I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    > waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving and
    > their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings for "land"
    > cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    Since this is to be experimental, I suggest you try a zip loc bag on
    whatever camera you already have.
    ray, Jan 31, 2009
  13. Antonio Huerta

    J. Clarke Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:46:08 -0800, Antonio Huerta wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and
    >> fishes. What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an
    >> expensive one, because it is first of all for experimenting. And I
    >> would not be sorry if I did not do much diving (thus would not be
    >> sorry for the sunken cost... gee, pun not intended).
    >>
    >> I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    >> waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving
    >> and their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings
    >> for
    >> "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    > Since this is to be experimental, I suggest you try a zip loc bag on
    > whatever camera you already have.

    Trouble with that is that (a) single ziplocs are prone to leakage--you
    should at least double, and (b) ziplocs don't give you a flat window
    in front of the lens.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Jan 31, 2009
  14. Antonio Huerta

    Paul Furman Guest

    I think you'll find wide angle is valuable for underwater:

    Lee Bell wrote:
    >>> I was thinking about an inexpensive camera. I did a search on
    >>> dpreview, and found Ricoh G600,

    28-140mm equivalent lens
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0804/08042201ricohg600.asp

    > which was watreproofed according to
    >>> JIS grade 7. This means that the camera can stand 30 minutes at a
    >>> depth of 1 m, http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html . Perhaps,
    >>> it could withstand larger depth ? It probably could do it, at a
    >>> stretch. Or not ?

    >> What this means in real world is that you can probably take the camera
    >> out in the rain... If you're lucky, maybe even a heavy rainstorm...

    > Correct
    >
    >>> Here is the camera Olympus Stylus Tough 8000,

    38-114mm equivalent lens

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 31, 2009
  15. Antonio Huerta

    Don Guest

    Nervous Nick wrote:

    > On Jan 31, 5:46 am, Antonio Huerta <> wrote:
    >> I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and
    >> fishes. What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an
    >> expensive one, because it is first of all for experimenting. And I
    >> would not be sorry if I did not do much diving (thus would not be
    >> sorry for the sunken cost... gee, pun not intended).
    >>
    >> I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    >> waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving
    >> and their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings
    >> for "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    > Any high-end DSLR with a 10+ megapixel count of should suit your
    > purposes. You have to read teh fine print, but trust me, they are
    > all guaranteed to be completley waterproof to 100m, straight out of
    > the box.

    WTF??? I'll have some of what you're smoking, mate... After
    the diving's finished for the day. ;-)

    Don't even think about trying this. Actually, you may want to
    be cautious about Olympus housings. My personal experience with
    a housing for a C-5050 was less than stellar. I've managed to total
    2 cameras in my housing. It's a sickening feeling to pull your camera
    up to go for a shot and see the housing half=full of sea water.

    I'm personally sticking to Ikelite at the moment. Just got a
    Canon G-10 , Ikelite housing, and substrobe 160. Truly amazing how
    much difference having a TTL cable connected strobe makes to
    image quality.

    The final factor in the Olympus or Canon versus Ikelite housing
    discussion as far as I am concerned is that 130 ft is not deep
    enough for some of the diving that I'm doing. (But if you can get
    somewhere to compare housings, check the difference in how solid
    the manufacturers housings feel compared to a housing from a company
    that specialises in building housings.

    Don't know about the USA, but here in Oz, you can hire housings
    and cameras at popular dive destinations. It would give you
    a chance to try first. The, if you like it, get the best kit you
    can afford the first time out. Otherwise, you just make the shops
    rich paying for a series of upgrades along the way, many of which
    may wind up collecting dust somewhere.

    -Don
    Don, Feb 1, 2009
  16. Antonio Huerta

    -hh Guest

    On Feb 1, 6:12 am, Don <> wrote:
    > Nervous Nick wrote:
    > >

    > > Any high-end DSLR with a 10+ megapixel count of should suit your
    > > purposes.  You have to read teh fine print, but trust me, they are
    > > all guaranteed to be completley waterproof to 100m, straight out of
    > > the box.

    > WTF??? I'll have some of what you're smoking, mate... After
    > the diving's finished for the day. ;-)
    >
    > Don't even think about trying this.

    I'm not personally aware of any dSLRs that are waterproof in the scuba
    diving sense of the word ... doesn't matter if we're talking 100m or
    100cm. As such, my question for Nervous Nick would be to seek
    clarification of if he's referring to a dSLR that has been put into a
    housing (Ikelite is only rated to 200ft (60m), for but one example).
    Similarly, there's not really all that many dSLRs & lenses that even
    have o-rings to make them *rainproof*: with a few recent exceptions,
    you're mostly looking at the professional level of gear where the body
    alone starts for over US$2000.

    > I'm personally sticking to Ikelite at the moment. Just got a
    > Canon G-10 , Ikelite housing, and substrobe 160. Truly amazing how
    > much difference having a TTL cable connected strobe makes to
    > image quality.

    Agreed, and most people probably don't really realize just how much
    power an underwater strobe packs. The size of the battery pack should
    be enough of a clue: on the Ikelite SS-200 / DS-200 strobes, you're
    basically looking at six (6) C-Cells. And it doesn't necessarily have
    an impressive looking guide number because the reflector array is set
    up for extremely wide (~100 degrees) field of coverage.

    > The final factor in the Olympus or Canon versus Ikelite housing
    > discussion as far as I am concerned is that 130 ft is not deep
    > enough for some of the diving that I'm doing...

    That's one good point. Another one to consider is that back in the
    days of film with Nikonos V bodies, the standard policy was to send
    the camera out for service roughly annually ($125) because of salt
    crystal accumulation on what was referred to as "Non-User Serviceable"
    O-rings.

    As such, those "amphibious" digital cameras that advertise themselves
    as being snorkel-rated without any housing (or even if dSLRs existed
    that claimed this) aren't going to be waterproof forever... salt water
    + leak = fried electronics = dead camera.

    -hh
    -hh, Feb 1, 2009
  17. Antonio Huerta, Feb 3, 2009
  18. Antonio Huerta

    Sheldon Guest

    "Antonio Huerta" <> wrote in message
    >I would like to dive and take casual pictures of the rocks and fishes.
    > What waterproofed camera should I get ? I do not want an expensive
    > one, because it is first of all for experimenting. And I would not be
    > sorry if I did not do much diving (thus would not be sorry for the
    > sunken cost... gee, pun not intended).
    >
    > I am aware that there are Olympus mu kind of cameras which are
    > waterproofed, but I am not sure about their suitability for diving and
    > their image quality. I am also aware that there are housings for
    > "land" cameras. But I do not know about their suitability...

    I have an Olympus FE-230, 7 megpixels, that had a waterproof enclosure for
    diving as an option. It works great. You can use the camera topside as a
    pocket size digital camera, or seal it up in the enclosure and take it
    underwater, I think to 100 feet. The enclosure was only about $100 and we
    got some pretty good shots underwater in Belize with it. Nice shots of our
    vacation, too. I actually use the camera a lot, and leave the enclosure in
    my dive bag.

    I thought about getting an enclosure for my Nikon DSLR, but it costs way
    more than the camera.
    Sheldon, Feb 9, 2009