Camera for computer vision

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bjorn.tor.larsson@gmail.com, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I'd like suggestions for a camera appropriate for computer vision
    applications (measuring the positions of some moving objects with
    milimeter precision). I think I need the following specifications:

    Data connection)
    The camera must send pictures "live" to a computer, several pictures
    per second. Like 10 fps would be really nice.

    Shutter speed)
    Because I intend to capture fast moving objects, I need short shutter
    times. 1/1000 second would be perfect, but 1/x00 would probably work
    too.

    Picture quality)
    1 megapixel would be okey. 0.3 mp could be a little too little. Direct
    access to an Image Raw format would be preferable instead of JPEG or
    such. Image Raw is better for resolution and speed, I suppose.

    Size)
    The smaller the camera is the better.

    As you can probably tell

    I'd like suggestions for a camera appropriate for computer vision
    applications (measuring the positions of some moving objects with
    milimeter precision). I think I need the following specifications:

    Data connection)
    The camera must send pictures "live" to a computer, several pictures
    per second.

    Shutter speed)
    Because I intend to capture fast moving objects, I need short shutter
    times. 1/1000 second would be perfect, but 1/x00 would probably work
    too.

    Picture quality)
    1 megapixel would be okey. 0.3 mp could be a little too little. Direct
    access to an Image Raw format would be preferable instead of JPEG or
    such. Image Raw is better for resolution and speed, I suppose.

    Size)
    The smaller the camera is the better.

    As you can probably tell already, I don't know much about cameras. I
    need help to find something like I've described above. I've only found
    web cameras which have any live-like kind of data connection. But then
    shutter speed and resolution on acceptable fps seems to be wanting.
    (And will a bluetooth or USB2-connection be fast enough?)

    , Feb 17, 2007

  2. On Feb 16, 7:56 pm, wrote:
    > I'd like suggestions for a camera appropriate for computer vision
    > applications (measuring the positions of some moving objects with
    > milimeter precision). I think I need the following specifications:
    >
    > Data connection)
    > The camera must send pictures "live" to a computer, several pictures
    > per second. Like 10 fps would be really nice.
    >
    > Shutter speed)
    > Because I intend to capture fast moving objects, I need short shutter
    > times. 1/1000 second would be perfect, but 1/x00 would probably work
    > too.
    >
    > Picture quality)
    > 1 megapixel would be okey. 0.3 mp could be a little too little. Direct
    > access to an Image Raw format would be preferable instead of JPEG or
    > such. Image Raw is better for resolution and speed, I suppose.
    >
    > Size)
    > The smaller the camera is the better.
    >
    > As you can probably tell
    >
    > I'd like suggestions for a camera appropriate for computer vision
    > applications (measuring the positions of some moving objects with
    > milimeter precision). I think I need the following specifications:
    >
    > Data connection)
    > The camera must send pictures "live" to a computer, several pictures
    > per second.
    >
    > Shutter speed)
    > Because I intend to capture fast moving objects, I need short shutter
    > times. 1/1000 second would be perfect, but 1/x00 would probably work
    > too.
    >
    > Picture quality)
    > 1 megapixel would be okey. 0.3 mp could be a little too little. Direct
    > access to an Image Raw format would be preferable instead of JPEG or
    > such. Image Raw is better for resolution and speed, I suppose.
    >
    > Size)
    > The smaller the camera is the better.
    >
    > As you can probably tell already, I don't know much about cameras. I
    > need help to find something like I've described above. I've only found
    > web cameras which have any live-like kind of data connection. But then
    > shutter speed and resolution on acceptable fps seems to be wanting.
    > (And will a bluetooth or USB2-connection be fast enough?)

    You have such unique needs I doubt if an off-the-shelf camera will
    suit your needs. I suggest you contact several makers of custom video
    cameras (don't know for sure which are still in business- retired
    about seven years ago, I think Sony has a custom applications
    department).

    You need to put your specs down on paper and then visit these firms.
    Several in used to be in California.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Feb 17, 2007

  3. Mark P. Guest

    I watch these factory programs on TV and some assembly lines have a
    video systems for QC and placement. Find out who make assebly lines
    and contact them.

    Mark P.

    Mark P., Feb 17, 2007
  4. Bill Funk Guest

    On 16 Feb 2007 17:56:23 -0800, wrote:

    >I'd like suggestions for a camera appropriate for computer vision
    >applications (measuring the positions of some moving objects with
    >milimeter precision). I think I need the following specifications:

    Many industries use such cameras; obviously they are available.
    A consumer camera won't be what you're looking for.
    I suggest you contact the usual suspects (camera manufacturers) to see
    what they offer.

    --
    Anna Nicole Smith's family and
    friends converged on the late