camera choice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by whisky-dave, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....

    but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.

    She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR

    but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.

    as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender

    Things she wants include
    Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording.
    (mainly for gig photography)
    A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.

    She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.

    Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement,
    whether it's a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs
    it doesn't really matter that much.

    yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
    can be found here.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/

    Thanks for a short list hopefully.

    whisky-dave, Apr 20, 2010

  2. whisky-dave

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:15:40 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

    > I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
    >
    > but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.
    >
    > She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR
    >
    > but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.
    >
    > as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender
    >
    > Things she wants include
    > Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording. (mainly
    > for gig photography)
    > A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.
    >
    > She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.
    >
    > Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement, whether it's
    > a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs it doesn't really matter that
    > much.
    >
    > yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes can
    > be found here.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
    >
    > Thanks for a short list hopefully.

    I'm not much of a Canon fan - in fact, I'll probably never own another
    Canon product. But if that's what she likes, I'm at a loss as to why
    you're set on changing her mind.

    ray, Apr 20, 2010

  3. whisky-dave

    Bruce Guest

    <> wrote:

    >yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
    >can be found here.
    >
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
    >
    >Thanks for a short list hopefully.

    Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
    really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
    to her ability, a DSLR.

    Most brands of DSLR include entry-level models that are small and
    light, if that is the issue. There are also the Micro Four Thirds
    cameras from Olympus and Panasonic that are even more compact than the
    smallest DSLRs but still offer very good image quality.

    In DSLRs I would suggest entry level models from Nikon, Canon, Pentax
    and possibly the Olympus E-620, each with a twin lens kit. In Micro
    Four Thirds I would suggest an Olympus Pen E-P1 or a Panasonic GF-1,
    each with a twin lens kit. Panasonic also offers a very slim 20mm
    f/1.7 "pancake" lens that is ideally suited to travel photography.

    Bruce, Apr 20, 2010
  4. whisky-dave

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Bruce <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:15:40 +0100, "whisky-dave"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
    >>can be found here.
    >>
    >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
    >>
    >>Thanks for a short list hopefully.

    >Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
    >really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
    >to her ability, a DSLR.

    Even the best camera cannot take good pictures if it stays at home in
    a box. If an SLR is too big then she should get a good compact.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Apr 20, 2010
  5. whisky-dave

    Will T Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:00:10 -0500, Allen <> wrote:

    >whisky-dave wrote:
    >> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
    >>
    >> but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.
    >>
    >> She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR
    >>
    >> but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.
    >>
    >> as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender
    >>
    >> Things she wants include
    >> Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording.
    >> (mainly for gig photography)
    >> A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.
    >>
    >> She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.
    >>
    >> Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement,
    >> whether it's a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs
    >> it doesn't really matter that much.
    >>
    >> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
    >> can be found here.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
    >>
    >> Thanks for a short list hopefully.
    >>

    >Most of her subjects cry out for a DSLR. I hope she changes her mind.
    >Some beauties in that selection.
    >Allen

    An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
    overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
    them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
    "cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

    direct need for it.

    Will T, Apr 20, 2010
  6. whisky-dave

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Will T" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:00:10 -0500, Allen <> wrote:
    >
    >>whisky-dave wrote:
    >>> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
    >>>

    > An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
    > overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
    > them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
    > "cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

    > direct need for it.

    Looks like you were right, you did invite one. The old troll has a new
    name.

    Savageduck has ;good advice. The G11 is good or the Nikon 3000 or 5000 also
    good choices.
    The smaller 4/3 cameras too. Oly, Panasonic etc.

    Tim Conway, Apr 20, 2010
  7. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    "Tim Conway" <> wrote in message

    > "Will T" <> wrote in message

    >> An incompetent snapshooter who has been brainwashed into thinking that an
    >> overpriced camera and overpriced lenses are the only thing that will save
    >> them from their own failings is the only kind of person that would ever
    >> "cry out for a DSLR" for *ANY* of those shots.

    >> direct need for it.
    >>

    > Looks like you were right, you did invite one. The old troll has a new
    > name.

    Yeah and it only took it 5 hours to make up a new name.

    > Savageduck has ;good advice. The G11 is good or the Nikon 3000 or 5000
    > also good choices.

    I like the G11 but it's very pricey (UK)

    > The smaller 4/3 cameras too. Oly, Panasonic etc.

    cheers

    whisky-dave, Apr 21, 2010
  8. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:15:40 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:
    >
    >> I know I shouldn't ask as it'll invite trolls....
    >>
    >> but a friend wants to upgrade from her Fujifilm E900.
    >>
    >> She's not sure she wants to carry around a large DSLR
    >>
    >> but she likes the Canon powershot SX20 IS.
    >>
    >> as far as price and technical spec looks like a good contender
    >>
    >> Things she wants include
    >> Having a movie mode that you can zoom in/out while recording. (mainly
    >> for gig photography)
    >> A widish angle lens 28mm or wider than the fuji is.
    >>
    >> She likes the menu and control layout of the E900.
    >>
    >> Other than that is just looking for an overall improvement, whether it's
    >> a compact or one of these half arsed DSLRs it doesn't really matter that
    >> much.
    >>
    >> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes can
    >> be found here.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/
    >>
    >> Thanks for a short list hopefully.

    > I'm not much of a Canon fan - in fact, I'll probably never own another
    > Canon product. But if that's what she likes, I'm at a loss as to why
    > you're set on changing her mind.

    Well that's the first camera I thought would suite her, so that's what I
    suggested
    she started looking at. I have a G10 and I'm pleased with it, but she wants
    more zoom.
    I've used my G10 to video her band but I can't zoom and video so she wants
    the camera to give to me to use, hence the video while zooming.

    I don't like the Fuji, she does, I like canon, she likes the layout of my
    G10.
    So I'm hoping for a shortlist to present to her. And we'll discus good and
    bad points
    of each together and tehn I'll watch her part with the dosh, and I get to
    play with
    a new camera :)

    whisky-dave, Apr 21, 2010
  9. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    > On 2010-04-20 06:15:40 -0700, "whisky-dave" <>
    > said:
    >

    >> Thanks for a short list hopefully.

    > I am primarily a DSLR shooter (D300s), however I have a P&S for those
    > times I might need one. I have an E900 and it is not bad at all. My beef
    > with it has been the user UNFRIENDLY controls. I bought a Canon G11 last
    > year and I find the difference night and day.
    > The G11 gives me easy access to all the controls and menus. My E900 is
    > currently gathering dust and will be given away soon.
    >
    > Given what she is shooting I would suggest a Canon G11 or in the DSLR
    > choice, a Nikon D5000 or D3000 (and they arn't that "half arsed".)

    Cheers for teh good advice, when I said half arsed I might those
    camera which fall between a compact and a DSLR.
    I consider the powershot XS20 to be half arsed as it's not quite up
    to the DSLR.

    whisky-dave, Apr 21, 2010
  10. whisky-dave

    Paul Furman Guest

    Bruce wrote:
    > whisky-dave wrote:
    >
    >> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
    >> can be found here.
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/

    > Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
    > really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
    > to her ability, a DSLR.
    >
    > Most brands of DSLR include entry-level models that are small and
    > light, if that is the issue. There are also the Micro Four Thirds
    > cameras from Olympus and Panasonic that are even more compact than the
    > smallest DSLRs but still offer very good image quality.
    >
    > In DSLRs I would suggest entry level models from Nikon, Canon, Pentax
    > and possibly the Olympus E-620, each with a twin lens kit. In Micro
    > Four Thirds I would suggest an Olympus Pen E-P1 or a Panasonic GF-1,
    > each with a twin lens kit. Panasonic also offers a very slim 20mm
    > f/1.7 "pancake" lens that is ideally suited to travel photography.

    I can certainly understand people not wanting to have a bulky DSLR while
    traveling, especially day trips. The Panasonic 4/3 might work with a few
    lenses. The pancake for easy carry touristing and a tele zoom for
    concerts, but she'll also want a wide angle for the travel landscapes
    (leave the tele at the hotel). She's got a good number of low light
    shots that would benefit greatly from a DSLR but maybe the fast normal
    pancake on 4/3 would suffice. The tele zoom could be just about any lens
    in existence; I would think manual zoom is the way to go for video?

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 25, 2010
  11. whisky-dave

    Bruce Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:13:23 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >Bruce wrote:
    >> whisky-dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> yeah I know it's not much to go on but the type of photos she takes
    >>> can be found here.
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/41156324@N00/445987386/

    >> Your friend is a talented, well travelled shooter. She/you should
    >> really not be rejecting the type of camera that will do real justice
    >> to her ability, a DSLR.
    >>
    >> Most brands of DSLR include entry-level models that are small and
    >> light, if that is the issue. There are also the Micro Four Thirds
    >> cameras from Olympus and Panasonic that are even more compact than the
    >> smallest DSLRs but still offer very good image quality.
    >>
    >> In DSLRs I would suggest entry level models from Nikon, Canon, Pentax
    >> and possibly the Olympus E-620, each with a twin lens kit. In Micro
    >> Four Thirds I would suggest an Olympus Pen E-P1 or a Panasonic GF-1,
    >> each with a twin lens kit. Panasonic also offers a very slim 20mm
    >> f/1.7 "pancake" lens that is ideally suited to travel photography.

    >I can certainly understand people not wanting to have a bulky DSLR while
    >traveling, especially day trips. The Panasonic 4/3 might work with a few
    >lenses. The pancake for easy carry touristing and a tele zoom for
    >concerts, but she'll also want a wide angle for the travel landscapes
    >(leave the tele at the hotel).

    I assume you meant the Panasonic *Micro* Four Thirds cameras (and if
    so I agree with you) as Panasonic no longer makes DSLRs. There are
    still some unsold ones on dealers' and distributors' shelves, but no
    more will be made.

    >She's got a good number of low light
    >shots that would benefit greatly from a DSLR but maybe the fast normal
    >pancake on 4/3 would suffice.

    Don't forget that the image quality of Micro Four Thirds non-DSLRs is
    sensibly the same as that of Four Thirds DSLRs. The low light
    capability of the Panasonic GF-1 is surprisingly good; at ISO 800 it
    delivers less noise than the early Olympus Four Thirds DSLRs at ISO
    200. The (Micro) Four Thirds sensors still compare unfavourably with
    APS-C but they are much improved.

    >The tele zoom could be just about any lens
    >in existence; I would think manual zoom is the way to go for video?

    Indeed. I don't shoot any video - yet - but I expect I will have to
    at some point in the near future. Currently I have a professional
    videographer to assist me at weddings where video is included in the
    package, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing some myself.

    Alas, the D700 is not much use for video. :-(

    Bruce, Apr 25, 2010