Camera choice - V1/V3/G6?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Neil, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    I've been using low-end digital cameras for some years. My current Sony
    P-32 is OK, but 3mp, small TFT, no zoom, so I want to upgrade. I mostly
    point-and-shoot for holidays or any family occasion. I probably print just
    5-10% of what I take, and that's usually only at 5 x 7 inches. I may very
    occasionally do a 8x10. I'm keen to get a camera that will take additional
    lenses for additional zoom or wide-angle.

    After some research I moved from looking at the Sony T1/3, or very small
    Minolta/Casio's to favour the Sony W12. My theory had been to get something
    pocketable; with a big LCD; good image quality; and at least 5 mp. hat met
    most of that. I have various memory sticks so the format helped, but
    doesn't matter hugely, although breaking into a cheaper format could be
    better for the future. But didn't like the W12 though when I tried
    one.... Many pictures taken on Auto were blurry. I often read that it
    seems to get the aperture wrong unless selected manually.

    I then considered going bigger, and sacrificing pocketability - well to an
    extent. The Olympus 765, Fuij E550, Casio P600/P700 but am honing my choice
    down to a Sony V1 or V3, or the Canon G6. I know these are bigger
    "prosumer" models, but I wouldn't mind getting more into manual photography
    as a hobby, and even taking some of the night sky, as well as retaining
    great quality from simple point and shoot.

    I know the V3 has replaced the V1, and has a number of improvements, but in
    the UK it is a minimum £425, where there is a supplier who has some final
    stocks of V1's at a cracking price of £225. The Canon G6 would be about
    the same as the V3 around £425. My budget was ideally for 200-300, but
    I'd reather get something that will last and be flexible in covering a
    wider-range of needs.

    I like the V1 for its capabilities and price, but am a little concerned by
    the reported P&S fuzziness on this too. I like the V3 for the dual memory
    stick and CF slots; for the larger 2.5ins hybrid screen; for the night-shot
    settings, and the superb 30 FPS movie option. But the G6 appeals for
    arguably best images on auto; long proven reputation; neat swiveling screen
    (and ability to turn inwards for protection); diopter adjustment; allegedly
    cheaper and more multitudinous OEM accessories.

    Need to decide quickly, at least in next day or two before stocks of those
    V1's get sold out....

    Appreciate advice/comments..... I'm reading various website and customer
    opinions, but gets soooo confusing!!

    Neil
    Neil, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Neil wrote:

    > I've been using low-end digital cameras for some years. My current Sony
    > P-32 is OK, but 3mp, small TFT, no zoom, so I want to upgrade. I mostly
    > point-and-shoot for holidays or any family occasion. I probably print just
    > 5-10% of what I take, and that's usually only at 5 x 7 inches. I may very
    > occasionally do a 8x10. I'm keen to get a camera that will take additional
    > lenses for additional zoom or wide-angle.

    I would favour the camera with better output. I've looked at reviews of the
    cameras you mention and I would choose the Canon G6.

    Perhaps you should also consider the Nikon 5700 or 8700, or newer models if they
    exist, if they are available for the right price up there.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Neil

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Need to decide quickly, at least in next day or two before stocks of those
    > V1's get sold out....
    >
    > Appreciate advice/comments..... I'm reading various website and customer
    > opinions, but gets soooo confusing!!
    >
    > Neil

    As an owner of the V1 I can say it takes good pictures, and
    I've not seen any "fuzzy focus" problems (I set it to
    Constant Auto Focus) but it has some FAULTS!!!

    1. Very small LCD viewer that lacks enough brightness for
    normal outdoor use.

    2. Pop-up flash is positioned right where you are most
    likely to place your left index finger, and block it. (you
    cna get used to this)

    3. No diopter adjustment on the optical View finder.

    4. Short battery life.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.