Camera Card Reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rodan, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. Rodan

    Rodan Guest

    December 21, 2008 RE: SD Card Reader

    Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
    to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

    If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    formatting on the card that will prevent this?

    Thanks for any information.

    Rodan.
     
    Rodan, Dec 22, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rodan

    Guest

    On Dec 21, 5:41 pm, "Rodan" <> wrote:
    > December 21, 2008                           RE:   SD Card Reader
    >
    > Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    > in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
    > to my new ( Vista OS) computer.
    >
    > If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    > camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    > port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    > formatting on the card that will prevent this?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > Rodan.


    I haven't cracked open my Vista yet--XP is working still--but is there
    a compatibility mode in Vista that your Oly software could work under?
     
    , Dec 22, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rodan

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:28:30 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Rodan wrote:
    >> December 21, 2008 RE: SD Card Reader
    >>
    >> Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    >> in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
    >> to my new ( Vista OS) computer.
    >>
    >> If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    >> camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    >> port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    >> formatting on the card that will prevent this?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any information.
    >>
    >> Rodan.

    >You can read the card via a card reader. In fact, you should be able to
    >download the pictures from the camera through the USB port of a Vista OS
    >computer. Have you tried?


    The card reader does not recognize the camera. It recognizes a file.
    As long as the file type is a file type that the computer recognizes,
    it will copy the file to the computer. The file may contain
    information about the camera that took the image, but that just goes
    along with the file.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Dec 22, 2008
    #3
  4. Rodan

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:41:42 GMT, Rodan wrote:

    > Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    > in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
    > to my new ( Vista OS) computer.


    Unless your C-2100's hardware is radically different, it should
    for the most part work with Olympus's current software, which is
    probably a free download. Last time I checked, my current Fuji,
    Canon and Nikon software worked with all of my old cameras, the
    oldest one being a Canon Powershot that also goes back to 2001.
    What Olympus may have meant is that the software that came with your
    C-2100 is not compatible with Vista, but any of their Vista
    compatible software is probably compatible with your C-2100. And not
    only compatible with their own cameras, they also transfer files
    from their competitor's cameras. The only thing that newer software
    from Olympus *might* not be able to do would be any custom, hardware
    related functions. One example is that when my old Powershot was
    connected to the computer (either via USB or a serial port), I could
    use the computer to register my name inside the camera, and this
    name would then appear in the EXIF data of the pictures it took.
    Even if I lost this ability in a newer version of Canon's software
    it wouldn't be worth worrying about. Actually, I rarely use any of
    this software as I prefer transferring files from the camera to the
    computer by using a card reader.


    > If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    > camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    > port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    > formatting on the card that will prevent this?


    Probably, just make sure that the type of card you use is listed
    as one supported by the card reader. This is usually printed on the
    card reader's packaging, and it's extremely unlikely that your old
    32MB card isn't supported by any card reader you come across. All
    of the incompatibilities I've ever seen have been with newer cards
    that the card reader manufacturers didn't have time to support. But
    within months, new versions of the card readers add support for the
    new cards. And speaking of formatting, just be careful to format
    your cards *only* in the camera. If you let the computer format the
    card while it's in the card reader you risk creating a card that
    won't be recognized by your camera.

    That 32MB card, by the way, is amazingly small by today's
    standards. Back in 2001 a slightly larger card could easily cost
    more than $100. Today you can get some 1GB cards for $10, but I'm
    sure that they'd be so large as to be incompatible with your camera.
     
    ASAAR, Dec 22, 2008
    #4
  5. Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >You can read the card via a card reader. In fact, you should be able to
    >download the pictures from the camera through the USB port of a Vista OS
    >computer. Have you tried?


    Maybe. It will work if the camera is operated in "mass storage device"
    mode, i.e. basically telling the computer, it is a flash memory device.

    If the camera is switched to "I am a camera and will talk only to the
    proprietary software that came with me" then you are kind of out of
    luck.

    Many (most? all?) cameras can be switched from one mode to the other.

    jue
     
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 22, 2008
    #5
  6. tony cooper <> wrote:
    >The card reader does not recognize the camera.


    It doesn't care about the camera, right.

    > It recognizes a file.


    Ahhh, no. A card reader physically recognizes the memory card and
    presents it to the computer as if it were a harddrive, i.e. on the level
    of tracks, sectors, and blocks. It has no concept of files, those are
    WAY above the level of what a card reader understands.

    >As long as the file type is a file type that the computer recognizes,
    >it will copy the file to the computer.


    No. The computer must understand the file system that is used on that
    card. Then it will happily copy any file from or to that card, no matter
    if the computer recognizes the file type or not.

    jue
     
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 22, 2008
    #6
  7. Rodan wrote:
    > December 21, 2008 RE: SD Card Reader
    >
    > Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    > in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
    > to my new ( Vista OS) computer.
    >
    > If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    > camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    > port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    > formatting on the card that will prevent this?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > Rodan.


    Your new computer may have a card-reader built in. Many do. If not, what
    you propose should work, but make sure that "SmartMedia" cards are
    supported - it's quite an old standard now.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Dec 22, 2008
    #7
  8. Rodan

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Rodan wrote:
    > December 21, 2008 RE: SD Card Reader
    >
    > Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    > in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
    > to my new ( Vista OS) computer.
    >
    > If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    > camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    > port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    > formatting on the card that will prevent this?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > Rodan.


    Is that one of the cameras that used SM cards? I have one that is
    unusable because the cards are so hard to get.

    If you shop for a card reader, make sure it is one that can READ SM, if
    that is the card it uses.

    My old Oly eats cards when batteries get low, which is why I need a
    source of cards for it. Have better, newer cameras now anyway. I'd sell
    it on eBay, but purchaser would have same problem :-(
     
    Don Stauffer, Dec 22, 2008
    #8
  9. Rodan

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    news:494fac39$0$16038$...
    > Rodan wrote:
    >> December 21, 2008 RE: SD Card Reader Olympus
    >> no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    >> in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera to my new ( Vista
    >> OS) computer.
    >>
    >> If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    >> camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    >> port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    >> formatting on the card that will prevent this?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any information.
    >>
    >> Rodan.

    >
    > Is that one of the cameras that used SM cards? I have one that is unusable
    > because the cards are so hard to get.
    >
    > If you shop for a card reader, make sure it is one that can READ SM, if
    > that is the card it uses.
    >
    > My old Oly eats cards when batteries get low, which is why I need a source
    > of cards for it. Have better, newer cameras now anyway. I'd sell it on
    > eBay, but purchaser would have same problem :-(


    My Canon Powershot A720 tends to eat cards if they aren't formatted
    in-camera, but it's good when it formats the cards.

    It's interesting to note that, when cards are formatted in-camera, my
    computer won't recognize them, so I can't use a card reader to copy files;
    I have to move pics from cam to comp using the USB connection on the camera.

    Given that the computer formatted cards will work in the camera for a while,
    the camera can evidently read standard Windows formmatting. So, I don't
    understand why they die so soon.

    Initial tests seem to indicate that my Rebel XSi is the same, although it
    hasn't eaten a computer formatted card yet.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
     
    Dudley Hanks, Dec 22, 2008
    #9
  10. Rodan

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:41:42 +0000, Rodan wrote:

    > December 21, 2008 RE: SD Card Reader
    >
    > Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought in 2001, so I can
    > not download pictures from the camera to my new ( Vista OS) computer.
    >
    > If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my camera and put
    > it in the card reader connected to a USB port and download the pictures,
    > or is there some special formatting on the card that will prevent this?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > Rodan.


    1) you should be able to plug the camera in, mount as a mass storage
    device and transfer files (both ways).
    2) any card reader I've ever seen will take the card as is, mount as a
    mass storage device and transfer files (both ways).
     
    ray, Dec 22, 2008
    #10
  11. Rodan

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:06:12 -0800, Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > Maybe. It will work if the camera is operated in "mass storage device"
    > mode, i.e. basically telling the computer, it is a flash memory device.
    >
    > If the camera is switched to "I am a camera and will talk only to the
    > proprietary software that came with me" then you are kind of out of
    > luck.
    >
    > Many (most? all?) cameras can be switched from one mode to the other.


    Many cameras, with the exception of many (most?) of Canon's
    Powershots, have a "mass storage device" mode. My S3 IS has a
    pseudo mass storage device mode though, that uses the PTP mode.
    When the camera is connected to the WinXP computer's USB port, most
    apps (including file browsers) don't recognize the camera or the SD
    card it holds, but the Fuji FinepixViewer software that Windows
    automatically opens when the camera is connected, can see many (but
    not all) of the images contained in the card's DCIM folder. The
    Windows driver that allows this has a mode that makes scanners and
    cameras visible to the computer.

    Images previously saved from on the computer and moved into
    folders in the card's root directory or elsewhere aren't seen by
    FinepixViewer. When FinepixViewer is used to open a Windows
    Explorer window which can show all of the computer's drives and
    folders, and it also shows a Canon PowerShot S3 IS device and files
    contained within the card's DCIM folder, even though it doesn't show
    the DCIM folder nor any of the folders within DCIM which contain all
    of the JPG files that it's able to show. Initially, DCIM contained
    two Canon folders and one Nikon folder and all of JPG files in these
    folders were seen by Windows Explorer. After taking one more
    picture using the S3 IS, a third DCIM folder was created for the new
    picture file. But now the Explorer window is only able to display
    the files contained in DCIM's first and third Canon folder as well
    as those in the Nikon folder. It's not due to a bug in Windows
    Explorer, since when the S3 IS displays pictures in its LCD, it also
    only shows images from the same three folders. It's a Canon
    software bug since when the same card is placed in my latest Fuji
    P&S (which now only supports PTP transfer mode, vs. earlier models
    that also had a mass storage device mode), the JPG files from all
    four folders are visible in the camera as well as in the Explorer
    Window. Lesson learned? It's riskier transferring files from the
    camera to the computer than to transfer them from a card reader,
    particularly if you're using a Canon camera. Newer Canon P&S models
    haven't corrected this bug although they operate differently, now
    creating a database in a CANONMSC folder that's stored within the
    DCIM folder.

    From a quick search of the internet it appears that Win ME, Win
    XP and Vista support this PTP transfer protocol, but for computers
    using earlier versions of Windows, a WIA (Windows Imaging
    Acquisition) driver is needed. This driver is included on Canon's
    Digital Camera Solutions CD starting with version 4.0
     
    ASAAR, Dec 22, 2008
    #11
  12. Rodan

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:43:23 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote in
    > <vAO3l.2016$sM.1162@edtnps83>:
    >
    >>It's interesting to note that, when cards are formatted in-camera, my
    >>computer won't recognize them, so I can't use a card reader to copy files;
    >>I have to move pics from cam to comp using the USB connection on the
    >>camera.

    >
    > Are you running a very old OS on your computer? If not, that shouldn't
    > be true, unless there is something wrong with your computer.
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John


    Sort of, John, I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

    I should note that, I also have a Fuji e510 that works just fine with either
    the camera or the card reader. This is only an issue with my Canon cams:
    A510, A570, A720, Rebel Xt and Rebel XSi

    It's not really a problem, since I can still copy pics using Windows
    Explorer without having to go through the Canon software. But, it's
    annoying because I can't use these SD cards for other, temporary, storage
    purposes without reformatting.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
     
    Dudley Hanks, Dec 23, 2008
    #12
  13. Allen wrote:
    []
    > On another subject--congratulations on either your wisdom or luck in
    > not converting from XP to Vista. My old XP machine died right when my
    > wife was in the middle of a big project and I didn't have time to
    > special order a machine with XP, so I had to buy an off-the-shelf
    > Vista box. There should be an investigation to determine just what
    > the MS designers and programmers were smoking and/or inhaling when
    > they produced Vista. I have been dealing with computers since
    > 1954--analog, mainframe, minis, PCs--and I have never seen anything
    > like Vista, except for Bob and Win ME. Allen


    What didn't work about Vista for you? I have it on a number of PCs here,
    and all seem to be working well, doing a variety of tasks.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2008
    #13
  14. Rodan

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    >> news:494fac39$0$16038$...
    >>> Rodan wrote:
    >>>> December 21, 2008 RE: SD Card Reader
    >>>> Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
    >>>> in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera to my new (
    >>>> Vista OS) computer.
    >>>>
    >>>> If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
    >>>> camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
    >>>> port and download the pictures, or is there some special
    >>>> formatting on the card that will prevent this?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks for any information.
    >>>>
    >>>> Rodan.
    >>> Is that one of the cameras that used SM cards? I have one that is
    >>> unusable because the cards are so hard to get.
    >>>
    >>> If you shop for a card reader, make sure it is one that can READ SM, if
    >>> that is the card it uses.
    >>>
    >>> My old Oly eats cards when batteries get low, which is why I need a
    >>> source of cards for it. Have better, newer cameras now anyway. I'd sell
    >>> it on eBay, but purchaser would have same problem :-(

    >>
    >> My Canon Powershot A720 tends to eat cards if they aren't formatted
    >> in-camera, but it's good when it formats the cards.
    >>
    >> It's interesting to note that, when cards are formatted in-camera, my
    >> computer won't recognize them, so I can't use a card reader to copy
    >> files; I have to move pics from cam to comp using the USB connection on
    >> the camera.
    >>
    >> Given that the computer formatted cards will work in the camera for a
    >> while, the camera can evidently read standard Windows formmatting. So, I
    >> don't understand why they die so soon.
    >>
    >> Initial tests seem to indicate that my Rebel XSi is the same, although it
    >> hasn't eaten a computer formatted card yet.
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>
    >>

    > Dudley, perhaps it would help if you told us more about the fate of the
    > cards that are "eaten". What are the symptoms? Does XP give you any
    > specific error messages when you try to read or reformat one of these
    > "eaten" cards? Anything else you know about the process might be helpful.
    >
    > On another subject--congratulations on either your wisdom or luck in not
    > converting from XP to Vista. My old XP machine died right when my wife was
    > in the middle of a big project and I didn't have time to special order a
    > machine with XP, so I had to buy an off-the-shelf Vista box. There should
    > be an investigation to determine just what the MS designers and
    > programmers were smoking and/or inhaling when they produced Vista. I have
    > been dealing with computers since 1954--analog, mainframe, minis, PCs--and
    > I have never seen anything like Vista, except for Bob and Win ME.
    > Allen


    Regarding symtoms, there's not much I can say. If I format the card
    in-camera and put it in a card reader (I currently use two different
    readers), the computer doesn't recognize the format. An error window pops
    up asking me if I want to format the card, so the operating system knows
    something is there, it just doesn't recognize the format.

    On the flip side, if I format the card in a reader attached to the computer,
    it will work just fine in the camera, for a short time. Then, the card
    fails, and neither the computer or the camera can do anything with the dead
    card. They won't reformat. But, as noted above, the computer knows a card
    is there; it just can't reformat it. Sorry, it's been a few months since
    the last card died, so I forget the exact error message I get if I try to
    reformat. It was pretty generic though, something like: Error accessing
    (writing to?) removable disk. Format halted..."

    Now, it isn't like I've killed that many cards, although I've done several
    experiments with formatting on computer versus in the camera. Cards
    formatted in-camera consistently won't work in the computer, while the
    opposite is true of computer formatted ones. But, once I lost a couple of
    computer formatted cards, I quit formatting that way. Further testing might
    yield cards that don't die, but I just can't be bothered (or afford) to get
    to the bottom of the problem.

    Regarding Windows Vista, it took me a long time to get my screen reader to
    work properly with XP, so I figure I'll hold out until most of Vista's bugs
    are eliminated. My wife and I are contemplating buying a new desktop for
    family use, so I'll experiment a bit with that for a while before upgrading
    my laptop.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
     
    Dudley Hanks, Dec 23, 2008
    #14
  15. John Navas wrote:
    []
    > The two biggest problems with Vista:


    > * Device drivers


    Not been a problem here. It could have been in the first days after
    release a couple of years back, although again not here.

    > * Application compatibility


    I think Nero version 6 is the only program I have which doesn't work, and
    there are free alternatives which do. Note that Nero 6 is a very old
    version. I haven't found another application which doesn't work, although
    one or two force the display to basic mode from areo mode.

    > Other big issues include:
    > * High resource consumption


    Vista needs a little more memory - perhaps 2-3GB - but actually makes
    better us of it than XP and feels faster in operation to me. The cost of
    disk and memory make it almost a non-issue these days.

    > * Poor performance of some common operations


    File copying springs to mind, but I think that was fixed to a degree in
    SP1. It certainly hasn't been an issue for me.

    > * Removal of XP features


    Yes, I think I found it more complex to change the icon for a file type.

    > * User Account Control


    Optional. I find it helpful.

    > * Memory protection flaws


    More details, please.

    > * Poorer battery life


    Haven't done a comparison.

    > * TPM (DRM)


    Hasn't been an issue for me.


    Please don't think I am suggesting that you should remove your Windows XP
    or even Windows 2000 if it works for you - I don't see Vista as an upgrade
    to XP. But having Vista on new PCs just isn't an issue for me today.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2008
    #15
  16. John Navas wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:30:00 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote
    > in <se94l.10558$>:
    >
    >> Please don't think I am suggesting that you should remove your
    >> Windows XP or even Windows 2000 if it works for you - I don't see
    >> Vista as an upgrade to XP. But having Vista on new PCs just isn't
    >> an issue for me today.

    >
    > Since you're only concerned with your own experience, there's nothing
    > more for me to say. For those issues where you feel you need more
    > information, a Google search should quickly give you more information.


    Thanks for your help on this, John.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2008
    #16
  17. Rodan

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:00:29 GMT, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > Regarding symtoms, there's not much I can say. If I format the card
    > in-camera and put it in a card reader (I currently use two different
    > readers), the computer doesn't recognize the format. An error window pops
    > up asking me if I want to format the card, so the operating system knows
    > something is there, it just doesn't recognize the format.


    Although you're using two card readers, they may both have similar
    incompatibilities. Several years ago when I got a newer type of xD
    card, my readers also reported the same errors. Several months
    later I saw an updated version of one of my readers in Staples,
    bought it and the cards suddenly became readable. How old are your
    card readers?


    > On the flip side, if I format the card in a reader attached to the computer,
    > it will work just fine in the camera, for a short time. Then, the card
    > fails, and neither the computer or the camera can do anything with the dead
    > card. They won't reformat. But, as noted above, the computer knows a card
    > is there; it just can't reformat it. Sorry, it's been a few months since
    > the last card died, so I forget the exact error message I get if I try to
    > reformat. It was pretty generic though, something like: Error accessing
    > (writing to?) removable disk. Format halted..."


    There are two things you can try if you still have those cards.
    Years ago I used Microsoft's DEBUG.EXE to write directly to floppies
    and hard drives, allowing boot records and partition tables to be
    wiped out or modified. This program is still supplied with XP (it's
    in my Windows\System32 directory. To start it create a DOS window
    and type "DEBUG" followed by the <Enter> key. It should load
    instantly and give you a "-" prompt. Now type "?" <Enter> and
    you'll see a list of DEBUG's commands. Note that "Q" <Enter> is
    used to quit/exit debug.

    Another thing you could try is the Control Panel's Administrative
    Tools. Double click "Computer Management" followed by Disk
    Management (in Storage). Maximize the window and you should see the
    flash card listed as one of the drives. Select it by clicking on
    the large portion on the right, not the left side. Then right click
    it and see if it offers a Delete Partition option. When I tried
    this with my SD card, the option was unavailable (grayed out). If
    you're lucky, this option may be available. If it is, delete the
    partition, recreate it, and then reformat it. If you reformat it
    with the computer, reformat it again in the camera before taking
    more pictures. If Disk Management won't allow you to delete the
    partition, there may be some free "disk" utilities that will. There
    are commercial apps that may work such as Partition Magic, and
    possibly System Commander which says that it can do partitioning for
    different OS's. But don't buy one unless someone that uses it can
    confirm that it'll work with flash cards in readers. Good,
    compatible readers, that is . . . :)
     
    ASAAR, Dec 23, 2008
    #17
  18. Allen wrote:
    Vista vs. the rest?
    > Well, for a start:
    > Totally non-intuitive, in many ways, compared to Win XP and 98.


    Yes, I agree it's different. I've used it long enough now to find that
    there are quite a lot of aspects I like, but it's not without its learning
    curve. Did you find a similar problem moving from 98 to XP?

    > Too much "security" in home versions. I don't want to fool with admin
    > rights.


    Accepted, but I think that's a positive point. not a negative one. We'll
    have to agree to disagree here.

    > I have had to use the Restore feature perhaps 6 times since July; I
    > never had to use it with XP.


    That's more times than I would expect. Is that on the same hardware?

    > Right now, although everything seems to be in place for WMP, it won't
    > run; to restore it, I'm told by many knowledgeable people that it is
    > necessary to reinstall Vista, as there isn't a repair facility.


    You must have tried the System File Checker?

    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2231/vista_run_system_file_checker/

    I have also seen issues with WMP, but they have been caused by 3rd party
    software. Removing the bad software restores full function.

    > These are a few of my issues; you can find tens of thousands of gripes
    > in Google. And, if it's so damn good, why does MS keep extending XP
    > support? As I said in my post, I've had 54 years of dealing with
    > computers, and I've not seen anything to compare with it. A huge step
    > backward for MS
    > in my (and others') opinion. I've known and used IBM 1401 AL, 360/370
    > AL, Fortran, IBM PL/1, COBOL, IBM Series I with Waterloo OS, CPM, Wang
    > Basic and close to a dozen other Basics, most versions of MS software
    > for PCs, both DOS and Windows, also a little Pascal and a few 4GLs.
    > I've been around the block a few times with computers.
    > Allen


    Similar experience here, Allen, starting with building computers at school
    in the 1960s.

    It does seem that Vista hasn't been as successful as some might have
    hoped, but I do think that it doesn't deserve all the bad press it's had.
    Windows 7 will be based on Vista, I understand, so it will give folk a
    breathing space in UI changes, and perhaps allow some of the tardier
    software and hardware vendors chance to catch up. I suspect that had
    Vista simply been XP with the security enhancements, people would still
    have complained.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2008
    #18
  19. Rodan

    Dave Cohen Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:06:12 -0800, Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe. It will work if the camera is operated in "mass storage device"
    >> mode, i.e. basically telling the computer, it is a flash memory device.
    >>
    >> If the camera is switched to "I am a camera and will talk only to the
    >> proprietary software that came with me" then you are kind of out of
    >> luck.
    >>
    >> Many (most? all?) cameras can be switched from one mode to the other.

    >
    > Many cameras, with the exception of many (most?) of Canon's
    > Powershots, have a "mass storage device" mode. My S3 IS has a
    > pseudo mass storage device mode though, that uses the PTP mode.
    > When the camera is connected to the WinXP computer's USB port, most
    > apps (including file browsers) don't recognize the camera or the SD
    > card it holds, but the Fuji FinepixViewer software that Windows
    > automatically opens when the camera is connected, can see many (but
    > not all) of the images contained in the card's DCIM folder. The
    > Windows driver that allows this has a mode that makes scanners and
    > cameras visible to the computer.
    >
    > Images previously saved from on the computer and moved into
    > folders in the card's root directory or elsewhere aren't seen by
    > FinepixViewer. When FinepixViewer is used to open a Windows
    > Explorer window which can show all of the computer's drives and
    > folders, and it also shows a Canon PowerShot S3 IS device and files
    > contained within the card's DCIM folder, even though it doesn't show
    > the DCIM folder nor any of the folders within DCIM which contain all
    > of the JPG files that it's able to show. Initially, DCIM contained
    > two Canon folders and one Nikon folder and all of JPG files in these
    > folders were seen by Windows Explorer. After taking one more
    > picture using the S3 IS, a third DCIM folder was created for the new
    > picture file. But now the Explorer window is only able to display
    > the files contained in DCIM's first and third Canon folder as well
    > as those in the Nikon folder. It's not due to a bug in Windows
    > Explorer, since when the S3 IS displays pictures in its LCD, it also
    > only shows images from the same three folders. It's a Canon
    > software bug since when the same card is placed in my latest Fuji
    > P&S (which now only supports PTP transfer mode, vs. earlier models
    > that also had a mass storage device mode), the JPG files from all
    > four folders are visible in the camera as well as in the Explorer
    > Window. Lesson learned? It's riskier transferring files from the
    > camera to the computer than to transfer them from a card reader,
    > particularly if you're using a Canon camera. Newer Canon P&S models
    > haven't corrected this bug although they operate differently, now
    > creating a database in a CANONMSC folder that's stored within the
    > DCIM folder.
    >
    > From a quick search of the internet it appears that Win ME, Win
    > XP and Vista support this PTP transfer protocol, but for computers
    > using earlier versions of Windows, a WIA (Windows Imaging
    > Acquisition) driver is needed. This driver is included on Canon's
    > Digital Camera Solutions CD starting with version 4.0
    >

    It also comes with winxp. My A95 is recognized without any canon
    software. My old A40 isn't and I'm not sure I have the original cd. My
    mp3 player can be switched between MSC where it gets a drive letter or
    other mode which uses the MS protocol.
    Dave Cohen
     
    Dave Cohen, Dec 24, 2008
    #19
  20. Rodan

    Dave Cohen Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > John Navas wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:30:00 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote
    >> in <se94l.10558$>:
    >>
    >>> Please don't think I am suggesting that you should remove your
    >>> Windows XP or even Windows 2000 if it works for you - I don't see
    >>> Vista as an upgrade to XP. But having Vista on new PCs just isn't
    >>> an issue for me today.

    >>
    >> Since you're only concerned with your own experience, there's nothing
    >> more for me to say. For those issues where you feel you need more
    >> information, a Google search should quickly give you more information.

    >
    > Thanks for your help on this, John.
    >
    > David

    You're asking the wrong question. The correct question is what is there
    in Vista but missing in winxp that I should be forced to replace my
    current scanner, maybe my printer (not sure about that) and god knows
    what apps. I'm told it's bloated. I'm not so much concerned with the
    extra hp needed if I'm getting a new machine, but a substantial upgrade
    should give me something substantial, maybe it does, but if it does
    nobody is telling me what it is.
    So I installed Linux as a possible alternative but that doesn't really
    help with the apps I like to use, plus Ubuntu is unstable on my machine,
    but my interest is if I have to get a new machine so that wouldn't be an
    issue.
    Dave Cohen
     
    Dave Cohen, Dec 24, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. WCH

    card reader trouble with 1GB CF card

    WCH, Jan 15, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    537
    Trai' La Trash
    Jan 16, 2004
  2. Zebra
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,338
    Zebra
    Jan 2, 2004
  3. Matt Biskup
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    7,093
    Ron Baird
    May 26, 2004
  4. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    851
    Colin D
    Dec 16, 2005
  5. Mike
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    865
Loading...

Share This Page