Camera Bags

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 23, 2005.

  1. Over the past few weeks there have been a few posts regarding advice on
    camera bags. I too have been searching for a solution to this delima.
    After looking at Tamrac and Lowpro and several others I finally settled on
    this system http://www.kinesisgear.com/index.html.

    All I can say is this system is great. Very modular and although primarily
    a belt system the design makes it so you can easily hook all the bags
    together so you can basically create your own bag. This way you only need
    to take the gear you're going to use. The bags are very well constructed,
    water proof zippers, cinch straps, plenty of D rings so you attach a
    shoulder strap or other accessories.

    There are lots of different accessories to choose from, and Kinesis also
    offers backpack solutions that accept all their modules along with tripod
    bags and large lens cases.

    I just received the following:
    http://www.kinesisgear.com/c/C500.html has my Canon 300D with battery grip
    attached along with my Canon 28-136 IS lens w/ Hood attached properly. The
    front pouch holds my EX420 flash.
    http://www.kinesisgear.com/e/E330.html has my 18-55 kit lens and my Canon
    75-300 III zoom along with a filter pack a cloth, exra flash and camera
    batteries, tripod quick release plate, and remote shutter release.
    http://www.kinesisgear.com/e/E280.html has my Canon 100-400L IS lens with
    hood inverted.

    One of the primary reasons I chose this system is because according to the
    specs from all the companies I looked at only Kinesis had a lens case that
    was the right size for my 100-400 w/o being way too big.

    I'm now waiting for the belt and a few other smaller pieces. Can't wait
    until the UPS man comes by again.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 23, 2005

  2. On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, at 15:54:29 [GMT -0400] (05:54:29 Sunday, 24 July 2005
    where I live) "Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:

    > Over the past few weeks there have been a few posts regarding advice on
    > camera bags. I too have been searching for a solution to this delima.
    > After looking at Tamrac and Lowpro and several others I finally settled on
    > this system http://www.kinesisgear.com/index.html.

    Are they waterproof? Couldn't seem to find that there.

    John Phillips, Jul 23, 2005

  3. "John Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, at 15:54:29 [GMT -0400] (05:54:29 Sunday, 24 July
    > 2005
    > where I live) "Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:
    >
    >> Over the past few weeks there have been a few posts regarding advice on
    >> camera bags. I too have been searching for a solution to this delima.
    >> After looking at Tamrac and Lowpro and several others I finally settled
    >> on
    >> this system http://www.kinesisgear.com/index.html.

    > Are they waterproof? Couldn't seem to find that there.

    I dont' beleive they are completely water proof, however, they do sell rain
    covers for all the gear.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 23, 2005
  4. "John Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, at 15:54:29 [GMT -0400] (05:54:29 Sunday, 24 July
    > 2005
    > where I live) "Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:
    >
    >> Over the past few weeks there have been a few posts regarding advice on
    >> camera bags. I too have been searching for a solution to this delima.
    >> After looking at Tamrac and Lowpro and several others I finally settled
    >> on
    >> this system http://www.kinesisgear.com/index.html.

    > Are they waterproof? Couldn't seem to find that there.

    Here is the material that they are made with.
    http://www.cordura.com/index.html Again nothing says water proof, but I'd
    have to believe it's at least water resistant considering the water proof
    zippers.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 23, 2005
  5. "John Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, at 15:54:29 [GMT -0400] (05:54:29 Sunday, 24 July
    > 2005
    > where I live) "Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:
    >
    >> Over the past few weeks there have been a few posts regarding advice on
    >> camera bags. I too have been searching for a solution to this delima.
    >> After looking at Tamrac and Lowpro and several others I finally settled
    >> on
    >> this system http://www.kinesisgear.com/index.html.

    > Are they waterproof? Couldn't seem to find that there.

    Here's the real answer.

    http://www.kinesisgear.com/n.html#wproof

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 23, 2005
  6. On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, at 18:45:54 [GMT -0400] (08:45:54 Sunday, 24 July 2005
    where I live) "Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:

    > Here's the real answer.

    > http://www.kinesisgear.com/n.html#wproof

    Thanks Rob.

    --
    Since when was a phone for talking?

    John Phillips, Jul 24, 2005
  7. Robert R Kircher, Jr.

    Guest Guest

    I'll drag out this old chestnut again.

    I use a kids insulated lunchbox for my camera stuff.

    The nylon shell is waterproof

    The "lunchbox-look" reduces chance of theft.

    I can leave it in a hot car or on the beach quite a while,
    and not worry about cooking fragile components.

    It's almost back-to-school time.
    Check out the insulated lunchboxes at WalMart, KMART, etc.
    <rj>

    Guest, Jul 24, 2005
  8. "<RJ>" <> wrote in message
    > I'll drag out this old chestnut again.
    >
    > I use a kids insulated lunchbox for my camera stuff.
    >
    > The nylon shell is waterproof
    >
    > The "lunchbox-look" reduces chance of theft.
    >
    > I can leave it in a hot car or on the beach quite a while,
    > and not worry about cooking fragile components.
    >
    > It's almost back-to-school time.
    > Check out the insulated lunchboxes at WalMart, KMART, etc.

    I think that's a great idea if you can get everything you need in the lunch
    box. I think I'd be hard pressed to get my 100-400 in there along with the
    camera and other gear. Also, I do a lot of sport events so I need something
    that's easy to carry and the belt system is perfect for that. Everything I
    need is right there around my waist easy to grab.

    Another unique suggestion I read somewhere in these NGs was the use of a
    dipper bag. Cool idea, padded, not so obvious, big enough to hold a lot of
    gear, but again not mobile enough for my needs.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 24, 2005
  9. Robert R Kircher, Jr.

    Charlie Self Guest

    Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
    > "<RJ>" <> wrote in message
    > > I'll drag out this old chestnut again.
    > >
    > > I use a kids insulated lunchbox for my camera stuff.
    > >
    > > The nylon shell is waterproof
    > >
    > > The "lunchbox-look" reduces chance of theft.
    > >
    > > I can leave it in a hot car or on the beach quite a while,
    > > and not worry about cooking fragile components.
    > >
    > > It's almost back-to-school time.
    > > Check out the insulated lunchboxes at WalMart, KMART, etc.

    > I think that's a great idea if you can get everything you need in the lunch
    > box. I think I'd be hard pressed to get my 100-400 in there along with the
    > camera and other gear. Also, I do a lot of sport events so I need something
    > that's easy to carry and the belt system is perfect for that. Everything I
    > need is right there around my waist easy to grab.
    >
    > Another unique suggestion I read somewhere in these NGs was the use of a
    > dipper bag. Cool idea, padded, not so obvious, big enough to hold a lot of
    > gear, but again not mobile enough for my needs.

    Think about a NASCAR lunch bag, a softsided cooler designed to hold 12,
    or more, cans of your favorite beverage. I use one to cart along my WL
    10,000 monoflash, and it works pretty well. I'm not sure I'd really
    want to lug a camera in one, but different strokes, right?

    Charlie Self, Jul 24, 2005
  10. "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message

    > Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
    >> "<RJ>" <> wrote in message
    >> > I'll drag out this old chestnut again.
    >> >
    >> > I use a kids insulated lunchbox for my camera stuff.
    >> >
    >> > The nylon shell is waterproof
    >> >
    >> > The "lunchbox-look" reduces chance of theft.
    >> >
    >> > I can leave it in a hot car or on the beach quite a while,
    >> > and not worry about cooking fragile components.
    >> >
    >> > It's almost back-to-school time.
    >> > Check out the insulated lunchboxes at WalMart, KMART, etc.

    >> I think that's a great idea if you can get everything you need in the
    >> lunch
    >> box. I think I'd be hard pressed to get my 100-400 in there along with
    >> the
    >> camera and other gear. Also, I do a lot of sport events so I need
    >> something
    >> that's easy to carry and the belt system is perfect for that. Everything
    >> need is right there around my waist easy to grab.
    >>
    >> Another unique suggestion I read somewhere in these NGs was the use of a
    >> dipper bag. Cool idea, padded, not so obvious, big enough to hold a lot
    >> of
    >> gear, but again not mobile enough for my needs.
    >>

    > Think about a NASCAR lunch bag, a softsided cooler designed to hold 12,
    > or more, cans of your favorite beverage. I use one to cart along my WL
    > 10,000 monoflash, and it works pretty well. I'm not sure I'd really
    > want to lug a camera in one, but different strokes, right?

    But you see that's exactly the problem. I can't imaging walking up and
    down pit road at a NASCAR or IRL event with a 12 pack cooler over my
    shoulder full of camera gear. With this and any belt type system I can
    attached the couple of units I need put it around my waist and go.

    As you point out, Different Strokes. I just find this works best for me and
    I'm really impresses with the Kinesis system.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 24, 2005