Camera bag..carry on Flight...or check it into baggage?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joseph Meehan, Jun 14, 2004.

  1. Jim Waggener wrote:
    > Any opinions or horror stories?
    >
    > Jim

    Don't check anything of special value.

    For the last 30 years I traveled for a government tax agency. My
    employees were never allowed to check anything that contained confidential
    material. One interesting event was the Chicago crash where the systems
    when out and some outstanding pilot work brought the plane down in a ball of
    flame, but most passengers make it out OK including several our out
    employees. Six months later the laptop they had brought on board was
    returned singed but still fully functional. Nice work HP. Even more nice
    work to the pilots who saved so many as well as the emergency crews.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Joseph Meehan

    Jim Waggener Guest

    Jim Waggener, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Joseph Meehan

    Steven Gray Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in news:40cd035f$1_2
    @corp.newsgroups.com:

    > Any opinions or horror stories?

    I would never check anything of high value, particularly if the size is
    small.

    --
    Steve Gray

    Steven Gray, Jun 14, 2004
  4. "Steven Gray" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in news:40cd035f$1_2
    > @corp.newsgroups.com:
    >
    > > Any opinions or horror stories?

    > I would never check anything of high value, particularly if the size

    is
    > small.

    Two good reasons not to check a camera or anything else of value 1) it
    may get damaged and 2) if it doesn't get damaged there's a chance it
    will be stolen.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 14, 2004
  5. Joseph Meehan

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > Any opinions or horror stories?
    >
    > Jim

    Never check anything of value, including cameras. Period.

    PTRAVEL, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Joseph Meehan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jim Waggener wrote:

    > Any opinions or horror stories?
    >
    > Jim

    Jim,
    If you want your camera to arrive at the same location as you, carry
    it on. Theft of such things is one of the major crime problems in
    airports, and I don't mean INSIDE the terminal.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Joseph Meehan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

    > "Steven Gray" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Jim Waggener" <> wrote in news:40cd035f$1_2
    >>@corp.newsgroups.com:
    >>

    >>>Any opinions or horror stories?

    >>I would never check anything of high value, particularly if the size

    > is
    >
    >>small.

    > Two good reasons not to check a camera or anything else of value 1) it
    > may get damaged and 2) if it doesn't get damaged there's a chance it
    > will be stolen.

    Or that it will go somewhere you didn't...
    Lost, stolen, and misrouted bags are one of the top problems with airlines.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >
    >> "Steven Gray" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in news:40cd035f$1_2
    >>> @corp.newsgroups.com:

    >>> I would never check anything of high value, particularly if the size

    >> is
    >>
    >>> small.

    >> Two good reasons not to check a camera or anything else of value 1)
    >> it may get damaged and 2) if it doesn't get damaged there's a chance
    >> it will be stolen.
    >>

    > Or that it will go somewhere you didn't...
    > Lost, stolen, and misrouted bags are one of the top problems with
    > airlines.

    i wonder how big your bag can be to carry it inside an airplain? will 15
    liter backpack be OK?

    tia

    remove RmEaMkOnViEoTHvIoS from my email
    svi komentari i razmisljanja su moja kao pojedinca i nikako se ne smiju
    povezivati sa tvrtkom u kojoj radim

    Zarko Jovanovic, Jun 14, 2004
  9. Joseph Meehan

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ron Hunter responds:

    >>>I would never check anything of high value, particularly if the size

    >> is
    >>
    >>>small.

    >> Two good reasons not to check a camera or anything else of value 1) it
    >> may get damaged and 2) if it doesn't get damaged there's a chance it
    >> will be stolen.
    >>

    >Or that it will go somewhere you didn't...
    >Lost, stolen, and misrouted bags are one of the top problems with airlines.

    Even if photo gear is large--Halliburton cases, light stand cases, etc.--it
    doesn't pay to check it through. It's also impossible to carry. But FedEx/UPS
    will do ground delivery in 2 days to almost everywhere at a fairly reasonable
    price (especially considering the possibility of loss on an aircraft). Next day
    delivery costs more, but if you're working an assignment, is still more
    sensible than shipping. I haven't tried it recently, but bus shipping used to
    work great back in the '80s and early '90s. Bring the gear to the terminal, it
    goes into the baggage compartment, and it reaches its destination quickly and
    with no further hassle and at very low cost.

    Charlie Self
    "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
    exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

    Charlie Self, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Joseph Meehan

    wayne Guest

    NO problem at a checking camera bag. However it you check anything valuable
    like a CAMERA, or film jewelry computer software reservations medicine cash
    then you are being very foolish!

    There is no way I would check those items I would fill my pockets with stuff
    rather than check anything valuable!

    Wayne

    wayne, Jun 14, 2004
  11. Joseph Meehan

    Rick Guest

    > Any opinions or horror stories?

    I just went on a trip out west with my Canon dRebel and I made damn sure I
    carried it, with bag and lenses, on the plane. OTOH, I put my cheap video
    camera in checked luggage and it went through with no problem, so YMMV.

    Rick, Jun 14, 2004
  12. The USA has recently changed its rules to allow one bag of camera equipment
    in the cabin in additional to the normal carry-on baggage allowance.

    I agree with the other posters who say that you should never put anything in
    checked luggage that you're not willing to lose.

    Andrew Koenig, Jun 14, 2004
  13. Joseph Meehan

    Ed E. Guest

    > Never check anything of value, including cameras. Period.

    In fact, the airlines & airports instruct you to carry-on any camera
    equipment. I figured they wouldn't like a tripod being carried on since it
    could be used as a weapon, so that was the only piece I put into my
    checked-in baggage.

    Ed E., Jun 14, 2004
  14. Joseph Meehan

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ed E. writes:

    >> Never check anything of value, including cameras. Period.

    >In fact, the airlines & airports instruct you to carry-on any camera
    >equipment. I figured they wouldn't like a tripod being carried on since it
    >could be used as a weapon, so that was the only piece I put into my
    >checked-in baggage.

    A common pencil or cheap ballpoint make much better weapons.

    Charlie Self, Jun 14, 2004
  15. Joseph Meehan

    Kimberlee Guest

    A friend went to Spain...ran with the bulls and took his digital camera.
    Coming home, he checked it into his baggage.
    Came back with a busted camera and stolen CF cards.
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Jun 14, 2004
  16. Joseph Meehan

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Zarko Jovanovic" <> wrote in message
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    > > Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Steven Gray" <> wrote in message

    > >> is

    > >> Two good reasons not to check a camera or anything else of value 1)
    > >> it may get damaged and 2) if it doesn't get damaged there's a chance
    > >> it will be stolen.
    > >>

    > > Or that it will go somewhere you didn't...
    > > Lost, stolen, and misrouted bags are one of the top problems with
    > > airlines.

    > i wonder how big your bag can be to carry it inside an airplain? will 15
    > liter backpack be OK?

    Check with your airline. In the US, maximum size of carryons is determined
    by maximum width, height and length. There's also a weight limit, but it's
    not strictly enforced. Some carriers in Europe have a very low weight
    limit, and strictly enforce it.

    PTRAVEL, Jun 14, 2004
  17. Joseph Meehan

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Andrew Koenig" <> wrote in message
    > The USA has recently changed its rules to allow one bag of camera

    equipment
    > in the cabin in additional to the normal carry-on baggage allowance.

    Sorry, but that's completely wrong. The nation-wide limit is a single carry
    on PLUS one personal item, defined as a purse, computer bag, camera bag,
    etc. This has been the rule for years.

    PTRAVEL, Jun 14, 2004
  18. Joseph Meehan

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Ed E." <> wrote in message

    > > Never check anything of value, including cameras. Period.

    > In fact, the airlines & airports instruct you to carry-on any camera
    > equipment. I figured they wouldn't like a tripod being carried on since

    it
    > could be used as a weapon, so that was the only piece I put into my
    > checked-in baggage.

    Didn't we just do this thread? Tripods are allowed in the cabin, as long as
    they don't have spiked feet. I bring my as carryon all the time.

    PTRAVEL, Jun 14, 2004
  19. "Rick" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > > Any opinions or horror stories?
    > >

    > I just went on a trip out west with my Canon dRebel and I made damn

    sure I
    > carried it, with bag and lenses, on the plane. OTOH, I put my cheap

    video
    > camera in checked luggage and it went through with no problem, so

    YMMV.

    Do you remember the video tape broadcast some years ago showing
    airline employees in the Midwest playing "basketball" with checked
    luggage?

    --
    James V. Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland, USA

    James Silverton, Jun 14, 2004
  20. Joseph Meehan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Zarko Jovanovic wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Steven Gray" <> wrote in message

    >>>is

    >>>Two good reasons not to check a camera or anything else of value 1)
    >>>it may get damaged and 2) if it doesn't get damaged there's a chance
    >>>it will be stolen.
    >>>

    >>Or that it will go somewhere you didn't...
    >>Lost, stolen, and misrouted bags are one of the top problems with
    >>airlines.

    > i wonder how big your bag can be to carry it inside an airplain? will 15
    > liter backpack be OK?
    >
    > tia

    Almost certainly.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 14, 2004