    I've got a Canon A80
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Phil

    MightyKitten Guest

    I know It is possible for the sony camera's to do so (Like a big Flash card
    reader)

    If you need to use twain to get data from your camera, you might have a
    problem, if your camera acts like a flashcard reader (I.E. it adds a drive
    letter to My Computer, it should be possible.

    MightyKitten, Jan 2, 2004

  3. "Phil" <groeswenphil@(Idont)btopenworld.com> writes:

    > Hi,
    > Would it be possible to use the card in your camera as temp storage space
    > i.e. to transfer files from one computer to another?

    Flash cards are flash cards, so it _can_ be done. Be aware, however, that
    the computer may write files to the card in addition to the images, and
    this may make the camera think the card has less available space than you
    think it has. My suggestion is that if you use the card to transfer from
    computer to computer, format the card in the camera after you do the
    transfer.

    Phil Stripling, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Phil

    Jimmy Guest

    "Phil" <groeswenphil@(Idont)btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Would it be possible to use the card in your camera as temp storage space
    > i.e. to transfer files from one computer to another?
    > I've got a Canon A80
    > Thanks,
    > Phil

    There are a couple of problems here. First, the camera has to be able to accept data from the
    computer, many do not. Next, the data would be limited to the digital image formats the camera
    supports. I have used a card reader and a CF card from my camera to transport Word documents rather
    than purchasing a separate USB flash drive. Works pretty well, but do not reformat the card in the
    card reader as it may not be readable by the camera again.
    Jimmy, Jan 2, 2004
  5. I don't know about the specs on the A80 but, yes, this is absolutely
    possible.
    There are two ways to do it:

    1. If your camera is a "storage class" device (like the Minolta Z1), then
    simply plug it in and you have a new "drive" appear in your windows explorer
    (ME/2000/xp) and the equivalent on the Macintosh. Just drag/drop etc like it
    is a normal floppy or hard drive.
    2. If the camera isn't a "storage class" device, then you may be able to use
    the software provided, however this could be cumbersome and will require all
    computers to have the software for your camera installed.
    The workaround for this is to use a cardreader to suit your particular card
    type in your camera. In this instance, you're using the card just like a
    floppy disc. Oh... the other computers you want to transfer the information
    to will have to have card readers as well.... obviously.

    hope this helps,
    cheers - Craig Bailey

    Karen Marshall, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Phil

    jriegle Guest

    I was over at my parents house helping my dad move a file from a computer to
    a laptop. I used the camera (an old Fuji Finepix 1300) on one computer to
    copy the file to the card and then put the card in the reader on the other
    computer and move it from there. It was too large for floppies and there was
    no sense in wasting time on a CD-R.
    John

    jriegle, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Phil

    Aardvark Guest

    > Hi,
    > Would it be possible to use the card in your camera as temp

    storage space
    > i.e. to transfer files from one computer to another?
    > I've got a Canon A80
    > Thanks,
    > Phil

    Check if your A80 has a menu item for Communications. By
    default, its set to Normal. Change it to PTP, and it will appear
    as a external drive on XP machines ( only on XP, and possibly
    Win ME. Does not work on Win2000 or Win 9x ) without having to
    install any Canon software. Once the camera appears as a drive,
    you may read/write to it as if it were a normal harddisk.
    Remember to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tray icon before
    unplugging the camera.
    Aardvark, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Phil

    Davidmystery Guest

    I do this all the time with Compact Flash cards -- images from cameras, Word
    files from PCs and my PDA. No problems. I do re-format the cards when I'm
    done so there's no potential clutter afterward.

    -David K. (USA)

    Davidmystery, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Phil

    Ron Hunter Guest

    jriegle wrote:
    > I was over at my parents house helping my dad move a file from a computer to
    > a laptop. I used the camera (an old Fuji Finepix 1300) on one computer to
    > copy the file to the card and then put the card in the reader on the other
    > computer and move it from there. It was too large for floppies and there was
    > no sense in wasting time on a CD-R.
    > John
    >
    > "Phil" <groeswenphil@(Idont)btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>Would it be possible to use the card in your camera as temp storage space
    >>i.e. to transfer files from one computer to another?
    >>I've got a Canon A80
    >>Thanks,
    >>Phil

    I use my flash card to transport data from computer to computer
    frequently. A 128 meg card is pretty much like having a 100 meg ZIP
    drive....
    Only lots smaller.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 3, 2004
  10. "Jimmy" <> writes:

    > There are a couple of problems here. First, the camera has to be able to
    > accept data from the computer, many do not. Next, the data would be limited
    > to the digital image formats the camera supports. I have used a card reader
    > and a CF card from my camera to transport Word documents rather than
    > purchasing a separate USB flash drive. Works pretty well, but do not
    > reformat the card in the card reader as it may not be readable by the camera
    > again.

    If the camera acts as a mass storage USB device (or you have a card reader),
    you just copy the files over. If it is a PTP device, you might be able to do
    it. The camera probably won't see the files as image files....

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Phil

    Guest

    Phil <groeswenphil@(idont)btopenworld.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Would it be possible to use the card in your camera as temp storage space
    > i.e. to transfer files from one computer to another?

    You're probably looking for trouble. Why not just buy one of those
    little pocket disk drives?
    , Jan 4, 2004
  12. wrote:

    >Phil <groeswenphil@(idont)btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>Would it be possible to use the card in your camera as temp storage space
    >>i.e. to transfer files from one computer to another?
    >>

    >You're probably looking for trouble. Why not just buy one of those
    >little pocket disk drives?

    One thing I have seen, at a recent Christmas lunch, was a guy carrying
    around his company's backup on a high-end flash card. More expensive
    by an order of magnitude or two than the 10Gby Travan tape I use for
    my off-site backup, but you can't beat the compactness (or loseability;
    I recall the librarian in the first Rollerball movie who lost a century, the
    Fourteenth IIRC :) ).
    Anthony Buckland, Jan 6, 2004