    I'm in the process of buying a digital camera. What should I be looking
    for? Thanks.

    , Aug 14, 2006

  2. Guest

    Actually, the concert is inside.

    , Aug 14, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    news:...

    >I would like to take some photos during a rock concert in a few weeks.

    You might want to find out the concert's photography policy first. Some
    venues allow it; others will confiscate your camera and throw you out if
    they catch you.

    Andrew Koenig, Aug 14, 2006
  4. Guest

    Extremely good point, Andrew. I can't imagine being thrown out within
    minutes of a show I've been waiting forever to see... lol

    Andrew Koenig wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > >I would like to take some photos during a rock concert in a few weeks.

    > You might want to find out the concert's photography policy first. Some
    > venues allow it; others will confiscate your camera and throw you out if
    > they catch you.

    , Aug 14, 2006
  5. Jer Guest

    wrote:
    > Extremely good point, Andrew. I can't imagine being thrown out within
    > minutes of a show I've been waiting forever to see... lol

    In that case you would do well to fist learn the rules when attending
    someone else's venue, and abide those rules to avoid a conflict. If the
    rules allow it, then most any point & shoot will do better than the
    thousands of cell phones trying to do the same thing.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Aug 14, 2006
  6. Guest

    I saw Air Supply last night. I also saw a lot of people photographying
    with their cell phone. I hope they were not thinking that they would
    get unnoticed because it's a cell phone.

    , Aug 14, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > I saw Air Supply last night. I also saw a lot of people photographying
    > with their cell phone. I hope they were not thinking that they would
    > get unnoticed because it's a cell phone.

    I think the concert promoters (or whoever own the visual rights to the
    show) are fully aware that the images from a phone camera are so poor as
    to be worthless as anything other than a momento. Which they are
    generally OK with.

    I went to see Bon Jovi recently and shortly after the show started a
    whole group of photographers were herded around by a bunch of minders.
    They were allowed to take shots from well defined locations, then
    escorted out of the building. Anyone trying to help themselves to some
    of that "product" is clearly asking for trouble.

    So the answer to your question, if you still want to try it, is to get
    the least obvious camera you can, preferably something that looks like a
    bit of cheap crap. Sling it round your neck inside your jacket, and
    don't make it too obvious when you're using it. Whether you get any
    decent shots worth looking at is probably down to luck more than
    anything else.

    Derek Fountain, Aug 14, 2006
  8. Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:
    > I saw Air Supply last night. I also saw a lot of people photographying
    > with their cell phone. I hope they were not thinking that they would
    > get unnoticed because it's a cell phone.

    My buddy's band recently had an opening slot for a big touring act at a large
    nightclub... I was allowed to shoot them "officially" (Canon Digital Rebel), but
    then I had to pack my camera away and was not allowed to take it out during the
    headliners' set (not even to review my other pics).

    Not impressed to see the couple dozen camera-phones and pocket cameras in steady
    use through the set.

    Matt Ion, Aug 14, 2006
  9. Cynicor Guest

    Andrew Koenig wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I would like to take some photos during a rock concert in a few weeks.

    > You might want to find out the concert's photography policy first. Some
    > venues allow it; others will confiscate your camera and throw you out if
    > they catch you.

    They can't legally confiscate your camera, although they can kick you out.

    Cynicor, Aug 14, 2006
  10. poddys Guest

    The one thing noticeable when people are taking pictures with their
    camera phones is that they don't use a flash. You would want to be
    sure you had the flash set off prior to taking any pictures.

    Some of the latest cell phones take video too (albeit still poor
    quality) - I wonder to what extent they might try to ban that, although
    you would only be able to take a short clip with poor quality.

    Off topic though, the coolest thing I have seen lately is an update to
    those songs where the house lights would dim and people would take out
    their lighters - now everyone takes out their cell phones - it's pretty
    awesome to see a couple of thousand cell phones illuminating the venue
    at a concert...

    poddys, Aug 14, 2006
  11. In article <>, Cynicor
    <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote:

    > They can't legally confiscate your camera, although they can kick you out.

    Legally? No. But I've heard of this happening too often to be urban
    legend. "Camera? What camera?" or, "It was like that when he brought it
    in..."

    Scott Schuckert, Aug 14, 2006
  12. Jer Guest

    Derek Fountain wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I saw Air Supply last night. I also saw a lot of people photographying
    >> with their cell phone. I hope they were not thinking that they would
    >> get unnoticed because it's a cell phone.

    > I think the concert promoters (or whoever own the visual rights to the
    > show) are fully aware that the images from a phone camera are so poor as
    > to be worthless as anything other than a momento. Which they are
    > generally OK with.
    >
    > I went to see Bon Jovi recently and shortly after the show started a
    > whole group of photographers were herded around by a bunch of minders.
    > They were allowed to take shots from well defined locations, then
    > escorted out of the building. Anyone trying to help themselves to some
    > of that "product" is clearly asking for trouble.
    >
    > So the answer to your question, if you still want to try it, is to get
    > the least obvious camera you can, preferably something that looks like a
    > bit of cheap crap. Sling it round your neck inside your jacket, and
    > don't make it too obvious when you're using it. Whether you get any
    > decent shots worth looking at is probably down to luck more than
    > anything else.

    If Mike chooses that option, I'd recommend he cover the flash with a
    piece of tape to make certain it doesn't fire alerting the authorities
    to his intentions.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Aug 14, 2006
  13. no_name Guest

    Jer wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Extremely good point, Andrew. I can't imagine being thrown out within
    >> minutes of a show I've been waiting forever to see... lol
    >>

    > In that case you would do well to fist learn the rules when attending
    > someone else's venue, and abide those rules to avoid a conflict. If the
    > rules allow it, then most any point & shoot will do better than the
    > thousands of cell phones trying to do the same thing.

    Venue's policy is usually printed on the back of the ticket.

    no_name, Aug 16, 2006