    place.

    thank you
    , Mar 22, 2006

  2. someone Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought a digital camcorder (panasonic NV-GS15, i can't really find
    > much info, although the PV-GS15 appears to be the US/NTSC equivelant).
    >
    > The digital video that Im importing into my PC is I assume PAL since
    > the camera is PAL. Will I be getting weird video later on when I
    > encode these videos to DVD-video? Will I run into any other problems?
    >
    > also, is it easy to convert PAL video to NTSC?
    >
    > the camera uses MiniDV, is there anything nifty I can do with MiniDV
    > (i've read about doing data backups already)

    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinformation/Panasonic_NV_GS15__5813133
    http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Panasonic_NV_GS15_Digital_Camcorder
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/nv_gs15
    Your software will decide what you are able to do.
    You don`t mention the software.
    someone, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought a digital camcorder (panasonic NV-GS15, i can't really find
    > much info, although the PV-GS15 appears to be the US/NTSC equivelant).

    Good cameras, I have the NV-GS75.

    > The digital video that Im importing into my PC is I assume PAL since
    > the camera is PAL. Will I be getting weird video later on when I
    > encode these videos to DVD-video? Will I run into any other problems?

    No, you shouldn't, but that will depend on whatever you use to convert.

    Have a look at www.videohelp.com

    > the camera uses MiniDV, is there anything nifty I can do with MiniDV
    > (i've read about doing data backups already)

    Does your camera come with MotionDV Studio LE? If so, and IIRC it
    gives the option to choose editing mode as NTSC or PAL when installing.
    It is also a good program to explore and has some pretty cool
    effects available.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:03:40 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I bought a digital camcorder (panasonic NV-GS15, i can't really find
    >> much info, although the PV-GS15 appears to be the US/NTSC equivelant).
    >>

    >Good cameras, I have the NV-GS75.
    >
    >> The digital video that Im importing into my PC is I assume PAL since
    >> the camera is PAL. Will I be getting weird video later on when I
    >> encode these videos to DVD-video? Will I run into any other problems?
    >>

    >No, you shouldn't, but that will depend on whatever you use to convert.
    >
    >> also, is it easy to convert PAL video to NTSC?
    >>

    >Have a look at www.videohelp.com
    >
    >> the camera uses MiniDV, is there anything nifty I can do with MiniDV
    >> (i've read about doing data backups already)
    >>

    >Does your camera come with MotionDV Studio LE? If so, and IIRC it
    >gives the option to choose editing mode as NTSC or PAL when installing.
    > It is also a good program to explore and has some pretty cool
    >effects available.

    i bought the camera used so I don't have any drivers or software, I
    grabbed the drivers off of panasonics site. If I use a program that
    asks me PAL or NTSC, should I choose what the video is (PAL) or what I
    want it to be (NTSC)?
    , Mar 23, 2006
  5. Peaches Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought a digital camcorder (panasonic NV-GS15, i can't really find
    > much info, although the PV-GS15 appears to be the US/NTSC equivelant).
    >
    > The digital video that Im importing into my PC is I assume PAL since
    > the camera is PAL. Will I be getting weird video later on when I
    > encode these videos to DVD-video? Will I run into any other problems?
    >
    > also, is it easy to convert PAL video to NTSC?
    >
    > the camera uses MiniDV, is there anything nifty I can do with MiniDV
    > (i've read about doing data backups already)
    >

    > Im sorry if this isn't the right group, please point me to the right
    > place.
    >

    > thank you

    "MiniDV" is the same as DV-AVI, it just refers to tape and length.

    DV-AVI is a firewire/IEEE1304/iLink compliant format.
    ALL software will be compliant - as long as you connect via
    firewire.
    XP has Windows Movie Maker, this is an excellent basic freeware
    capture and editing application that is ideal for testing your Dv cam
    and for you to experiment with.
    It dosen't cost anything apart from investing in a 4pin - to - 6pin
    firewire cable.
    Just connect, and Your XP pc will instantly recognise it as a DV cam
    select WMM to open, and capture.
    It is so simple, nearly as simple as KM.
    Peaches, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:

    >> Does your camera come with MotionDV Studio LE? If so, and IIRC it
    >> gives the option to choose editing mode as NTSC or PAL when installing.
    >> It is also a good program to explore and has some pretty cool
    >> effects available.

    > i bought the camera used so I don't have any drivers or software, I
    > grabbed the drivers off of panasonics site. If I use a program that
    > asks me PAL or NTSC, should I choose what the video is (PAL) or what I
    > want it to be (NTSC)?

    You shouldn't have needed any drivers, what ones were they? Normally
    you would just plug the camera into your computer via firewire, and it
    automagically should recognise the camera.

    The computer doesn't care about PAL or NTSC, so in your case, as it
    would seem you are in the US, choose NTSC in your editing program to set
    your output into the correct format.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Mar 24, 2006
  7. Rick Merrill Guest

    Peaches wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I bought a digital camcorder (panasonic NV-GS15, i can't really find
    >>much info, although the PV-GS15 appears to be the US/NTSC equivelant).
    >>
    >>The digital video that Im importing into my PC is I assume PAL since
    >>the camera is PAL. Will I be getting weird video later on when I
    >>encode these videos to DVD-video? Will I run into any other problems?
    >>
    >>also, is it easy to convert PAL video to NTSC?
    >>
    >>the camera uses MiniDV, is there anything nifty I can do with MiniDV
    >>(i've read about doing data backups already)
    >>

    >>Im sorry if this isn't the right group, please point me to the right
    >>place.
    >>

    >>thank you

    > "MiniDV" is the same as DV-AVI, it just refers to tape and length.
    >
    > DV-AVI is a firewire/IEEE1304/iLink compliant format.

    So are about 8 other formats, among them DV25 and Quicktime.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 24, 2006