Camcorder 1st purchase and I'm stumpted with the spec?!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Oliver Barnes, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. I hope someone can help me out with a problem... I am looking to buy a
    digital camcorder for the first time and have a specification understanding
    problem!

    I am looking at the JVC DVX95EK and the JVC DVX100EK but the main problem I
    have is which video camera would have better video quality and still shots
    at longer distance (filming and taking stills of animals in Africa for
    example)?

    1) 10x optical + 500 x digital zoom @ 1'300'000 pixels
    2) 16x optical + 700 x digital zoom @ 800'000 pixels

    - Stills would be mainly for on screen viewing @ 1024x768 and I have 256mb
    SD card.
    - Video to be edited on PC and burnt onto VCD (DV in/out required I think?)

    I am looking to spend about up to £800 for a compact-as-possible camera
    preferably with built-in flash...

    Many Thanks,
    Oliver.

    ~~~~~~~~~
    JVC link to 95spec
    [http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=GR-DX95EK&catid=11&lid=]
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Oliver Barnes, Jul 7, 2003

  2. "Oliver Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > I hope someone can help me out with a problem... I am looking to buy a
    > digital camcorder for the first time and have a specification

    understanding
    > problem!

    This is a digital still photography newsgroup. You might want to try
    rec.video.desktop.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Oliver Barnes

    Frederick Guest

    Well, I can tell you the 16x (times) optical zoom would be better than
    the 10, but the 1,300,000 pixels would be better than the 800,000.

    You will need to choose what you will be doing more of? Video or
    still? Neither one of them are really bad, but you may want to check
    the other features. Since you are going to be shooting long distances,
    you will want one that has Image Stabalization (forgive the spelling).
    This will help to insure that you will not see image shakes when
    handholding the camera. You will also find it helpfull for close shots
    too.

    Hope that helps you some. Don't really be too conserned with the
    Digital zoom feature as you tend to distort the image when you use
    that.

    Frederick, Jul 10, 2003