    If you purchase a cal for a server is it good for the life of the server or
    do you need to renew every year. I've heard both ways and wasn't able to
    find an answer on Microsoft's website. Thanks for your help.

    User, Dec 17, 2003

  2. User

    Dragon Guest

    Standard CALs need not be renewed.They are purchased for a particular
    version of a particular product. Unless, of course, if you have some exotic
    licensing scheme with Microsoft...

    Not-a-licensing-expert Dragon

    Dragon, Dec 18, 2003

  3. User

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "User" <> wrote in

    > If you purchase a cal for a server is it good for the life of the
    > server or do you need to renew every year. I've heard both ways
    > and wasn't able to find an answer on Microsoft's website. Thanks
    > for your help.

    I believe they are good for life for the current product they are
    installed on. For example: I have 500 CALs installed on a Windows
    2000 server and I upgrade to Windows 2003 server. I now have to renew
    my existing CALs.

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Dec 18, 2003
  4. User

    User Guest

    Thanks for your help. That's what Thought but wasn't sure.

    Jacob

    User, Dec 18, 2003
  5. User

    Phantom Guest

    Try this URL it should answer all your questions

    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing

    Or

    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/overview.asp

    M.E.MacDonald MCSE NT-4, MCP+I, A+