CallManager Express "No Phones Found" newbie problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ttripp, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. ttripp

    ttripp Guest

    Sorry if this is a duplicate post: my browser crashed.

    I have a very basic setup: a Cisco 2691 running CME 2.3, a Cisco 3550
    PoE switch, and two phones, a 7940 and a 7960. They are not connected
    to anything else. Anyway, when I access the CME GUI and select
    "Configure > Phones", I get a "Phones Not Found" message. Trying to
    add a phone generates a phone not found message.

    I've reset the phones to factory config, and I've reloaded the switch,
    the AIM module and the router. Nothing seems to get CME to see the
    phones.

    The phones are getting IP addresses from DHCP (configured on the
    router), and I have separate voice and data vlans configured on the
    router and switch. I can ping the phones OK, and they are receiving
    the correct IP addresses.

    I've Googled this problem, but can't find anything. Any help for a
    newbie? Thanks.

    ttripp, Oct 14, 2008

  2. ttripp

    Scott Perry Guest

    The phones have not yet registered with Call Manager Express.

    Ensure that the phones have a SCCP image instead of a SIP image. Ensure
    that DHCP is providing the 150 option for a TFTP server. On that TFTP
    server, possibly the CME router, add the SCCP image file for your phones.
    Create and add a file called OS79XX.TXT which only contains the filename of
    that image file. When the phones boot, they will acquire DHCP information
    and get the OS79XX.TXT file which will then provide the name of the next
    file which they will get. Once the SCCP image is loaded, the phones will
    reset and then check the TFTP server specified by DHCP option 150 for where
    to load their configuration files. The configuration files will be
    generated by CME (at least in CME version 3.X) and will instruct the phones
    to use your CME router as the Call Manager server.

    -----
    Scott Perry
    Indianapolis, IN
    -----

    Scott Perry, Oct 16, 2008

  3. ttripp

    ttripp Guest

    On Oct 16, 8:45 am, "Scott Perry" <scott.perry@somecompany> wrote:
    > The phones have not yet registered with Call Manager Express.
    >
    > Ensure that the phones have a SCCP image instead of a SIP image.  Ensure
    > that DHCP is providing the 150 option for a TFTP server.  On that TFTP
    > server, possibly the CME router, add the SCCP image file for your phones.
    > Create and add a file called OS79XX.TXT which only contains the filename of
    > that image file.  When the phones boot, they will acquire DHCP information
    > and get the OS79XX.TXT file which will then provide the name of the next
    > file which they will get.  Once the SCCP image is loaded, the phones will
    > reset and then check the TFTP server specified by DHCP option 150 for where
    > to load their configuration files.  The configuration files will be
    > generated by CME (at least in CME version 3.X) and will instruct the phones
    > to use your CME router as the Call Manager server.
    >
    > -----
    > Scott Perry
    > Indianapolis, IN
    > -----
    >
    > "ttripp" <> wrote in message

    > > Sorry if this is a duplicate post: my browser crashed.

    > > I have a very basic setup: a Cisco 2691 running CME 2.3, a Cisco 3550
    > > PoE switch, and two phones, a 7940 and a 7960.  They are not connected
    > > to anything else.  Anyway, when I access the CME GUI and select
    > > "Configure > Phones", I get a "Phones Not Found" message.  Trying to
    > > add a phone generates a phone not found message.

    > > I've reset the phones to factory config, and I've reloaded the switch,
    > > the AIM module and the router.  Nothing seems to get CME to see the
    > > phones.

    > > The phones are getting IP addresses from DHCP (configured on the
    > > router), and I have separate voice and data vlans configured on the
    > > router and switch.  I can ping the phones OK, and they are receiving
    > > the correct IP addresses.

    > > I've Googled this problem, but can't find anything.  Any help for a
    > > newbie?  Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks. I "solved" the issue by just starting over and running the
    telephony setup again. Since this is a test box and not production,
    that worked OK, but if I run into the issue again, I'll have your
    instructions to guide me.

    ttripp, Oct 17, 2008