    Hmm, I suppose I should be cautious, as somebody might offer me a
    IP destination, and then tap my call.

    , Dec 18, 2009

  2. On 12/18/2009 11:11 AM, wrote:
    > Hello. I live in Taiwan and use Debian Linux.
    > I want to call an 1-800 toll free US number,
    > which of course is not toll free when calling from Taiwan.
    > So how can I use this VoIP stuff to bridge the gap?
    > I'm sure I'm capable of installing whatever .deb Debian software package
    > is needed. But then what IP address would I direct my traffic to to make
    > the jump from the Internet into the Phone system?
    >
    > My friend uses the Skype stuff, but all I want to do is make one or two
    > calls to some 800 numbers, so don't want to subscribe to anything, pay
    > any money, nor do I own a credit card.
    >
    > Hmm, I suppose I should be cautious, as somebody might offer me a
    > IP destination, and then tap my call.

    I think, SJPhone (a softphone) though proprietary with a free and, or
    paid FreeWorldDialup FWD account is what you are looking for.

    --
    Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Dec 19, 2009

  3. wrote in <>:
    > Hello. I live in Taiwan and use Debian Linux.
    > I want to call an 1-800 toll free US number,
    > which of course is not toll free when calling from Taiwan.
    > So how can I use this VoIP stuff to bridge the gap?
    > I'm sure I'm capable of installing whatever .deb Debian software package
    > is needed. But then what IP address would I direct my traffic to to make
    > the jump from the Internet into the Phone system?

    apt-get install ekiga

    Start ekiga, see if it configured itself correctly and dial

    Found ages ago via
    http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/sip-tfn-toll-free-number-25180.html

    Havent't tested it in a while.

    > Hmm, I suppose I should be cautious, as somebody might offer me a
    > IP destination, and then tap my call.

    Yes. Governments will tap the call anyway.

    Koos

    --
    Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
    4all.nl or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5

    Koos van den Hout, Dec 19, 2009
  4. Guest

    Thanks. I found all I needed was to install asterisk, and change
    # diff -r /tmp/original /etc/asterisk
    diff -r /tmp/original/extensions.conf /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
    392a393
    > exten => _0191800NXXXXXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:3}@proxy.ideasip.com,60);jidanni

    diff -r /tmp/original/modules.conf /etc/asterisk/modules.conf
    53,54c53,54
    < noload => chan_alsa.so
    < ;noload => chan_oss.so
    ---
    > ;noload => chan_alsa.so ;jidanni
    > noload => chan_oss.so ;jidanni

    diff -r /tmp/original/sip.conf /etc/asterisk/sip.conf
    188a189,190
    > disallow=all ;jidanni
    > allow=gsm ;jidanni

    Whereupon I could make calls using: