    Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
    based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
    needed?
    Traveller, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Traveller

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-08, Traveller <> wrote:
    > A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit phone
    > number with this service commencing 05.

    Commencing 056 I think you mean.

    > Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
    > based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
    > needed?

    056 numbers are PSTN numbers. In general you will pay to connect to them
    just as you do when contacting 01/02 numbers.

    Brian.
    Brian, Nov 9, 2006

  3. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-11-08, Traveller <> wrote:
    >> A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit
    >> phone
    >> number with this service commencing 05.

    > Commencing 056 I think you mean.
    >
    >> Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
    >> based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes
    >> etc..
    >> needed?

    > 056 numbers are PSTN numbers. In general you will pay to connect to them
    > just as you do when contacting 01/02 numbers.
    >
    > Brian.

    Yes, you're right. 056 number.

    Thanks for the info.
    Traveller, Nov 9, 2006
  4. Traveller

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:04:26 -0000, "Traveller" <>
    wrote:

    >"Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-11-08, Traveller <> wrote:
    >>> A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit
    >>> phone
    >>> number with this service commencing 05.

    >> Commencing 056 I think you mean.
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
    >>> based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes
    >>> etc..
    >>> needed?

    >> 056 numbers are PSTN numbers. In general you will pay to connect to them
    >> just as you do when contacting 01/02 numbers.
    >>
    >> Brian.

    >Yes, you're right. 056 number.
    >
    >Thanks for the info.

    You may be able to dial into this number directly via SIP.
    How? Well it MAY be listed as an E number. I don't know how the
    Draytel works but if you are able to set your dial plan such that it
    includes <:mad:sipbroker.com> - no username or password required, then IF
    it is an Enum then it will route via sipbroker. If it is not it will
    route normally. If this is a specific 056 number that you wish to call
    the recipient could make it an Enum and then, normally, it would be
    accessible via SIP - unless BT have some sort of block on it.
    To understand how all this works checkout
    http://www.sipbroker.com

    SEPARATE from all this, there isn't a sipbroker access number for BT
    voice . Obviously BT want their customers to be restricted in their
    SIP calls - one good reason NOT to go with BT
    There is one, however, for bt.net whatever that service is. The web
    site simply states "BT Global Services: IP Services" .
    It has a sip server address of sip.btsip.bt.net

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Nov 9, 2006
  5. Traveller wrote:
    > A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit phone
    > number with this service commencing 05.
    >
    > Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
    > based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
    > needed?

    You may not want to..... call charges IIRC are around 5ppm.
    Apart from that you should have no probs.

    Cheers
    Duncan MacCallum, Nov 9, 2006
  6. Traveller

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-09, Brian A <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:04:26 -0000, "Traveller" <>
    > wrote:
    >>Yes, you're right. 056 number.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the info.
    >>

    > You may be able to dial into this number directly via SIP. How? Well
    > it MAY be listed as an E number. I don't know how the Draytel works
    > but if you are able to set your dial plan such that it includes
    > <:mad:sipbroker.com> - no username or password required, then IF it is an
    > Enum then it will route via sipbroker. If it is not it will route
    > normally. If this is a specific 056 number that you wish to call the
    > recipient could make it an Enum and then, normally, it would be
    > accessible via SIP - unless BT have some sort of block on it. To
    > understand how all this works checkout http://www.sipbroker.com

    If Traveller wants those free calls to his friend your idea is one he
    should definitely investigate but I wonder how feasible it is to get it
    working with a BT Broadband Voice number. My recollection of using
    www.e164.org is that the number points to a SIP URI.

    According to

    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=voip&Number=2660761

    the URI could be something like 44560*******@btsip.bt.com. Which looks
    OK except whois has no knowledge of btsip.bt.com.

    > SEPARATE from all this, there isn't a sipbroker access number for BT
    > voice . Obviously BT want their customers to be restricted in their
    > SIP calls - one good reason NOT to go with BT

    You may be interested in this:

    http://hubbub.labs.bt.com/?pagename=viewpost&id=1143

    Brian.
    Brian, Nov 9, 2006
  7. Traveller

    alexd Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > According to

    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=voip&Number=2660761

    > the URI could be something like 44560*******@btsip.bt.com. Which looks
    > OK except whois has no knowledge of btsip.bt.com.

    You snipped this:

    >> It has a sip server address of sip.btsip.bt.net

    so:

    $ host sip.btsip.bt.net
    sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.8
    sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.36
    sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.40
    sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.228

    :)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:17:06 up 16 days, 5:03, 2 users, load average: 3.42, 3.45, 3.43
    alexd, Nov 9, 2006
  8. Traveller

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-09, alexd <> wrote:

    > Brian wrote:
    >
    >> According to
    >>

    > http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=voip&Number=2660761
    >>
    >> the URI could be something like 44560*******@btsip.bt.com. Which looks
    >> OK except whois has no knowledge of btsip.bt.com.

    > You snipped this:
    >
    >>> It has a sip server address of sip.btsip.bt.net

    I cannot find that sentence on that page. I expect you will help me out.
    sip.btsip.bt.net is there as an outbound proxy.

    > so:
    >
    > $ host sip.btsip.bt.net
    > sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.8
    > sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.36
    > sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.40
    > sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.228
    >
    >:)

    Does that make 44560*******@sip.btsip.bt.com a more likely URI?

    Brian.
    Brian, Nov 9, 2006
  9. Traveller

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-09, Duncan MacCallum <> wrote:

    > Traveller wrote:
    >> A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit phone
    >> number with this service commencing 05.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
    >> based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
    >> needed?
    >>

    > You may not want to..... call charges IIRC are around 5ppm.
    > Apart from that you should have no probs.

    The per minute charge is dependent on the provider and can be cheaper
    than 5p. At least one of the Betamax products has it at less than 1p.
    The non-voip 18866 charges 0p. TalkTalk is, I think, about 2p.

    Brian.
    Brian, Nov 9, 2006
  10. Traveller

    alexd Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > On 2006-11-09, alexd <> wrote:

    >> You snipped this:

    > I cannot find that sentence on that page. I expect you will help me out.

    line.

    > sip.btsip.bt.net is there as an outbound proxy.

    Ah OK - so definitely no use as an inbound one then? Has anyone tried from
    outside of BT's network?

    >> so:
    >>
    >> $ host sip.btsip.bt.net
    >> sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.8

    > Does that make 44560*******@sip.btsip.bt.com a more likely URI?

    Not 100% certain about the guidelines for a SIP URI, but I would have
    thought that the bit after the @ would have to resolve in order for it to
    be valid, so .net is more likely than .com.

    Sometimes SIP URIs make use of DNS SRV records, so that one can call
    when it's really [at least I think that's how
    it works].

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:05:09 up 17 days, 2:51, 3 users, load average: 3.32, 3.13, 3.10
    alexd, Nov 10, 2006