    the telecom companys offer a flat rate,offpeak plan,to call
    mobiles overseas.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 23, 2006

  2. grumpyoldhori

    Stu Fleming Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > A friend of my wife only has a mobile phone in the UK.
    > Checked the Skype out rate,runs around NZ, 25 cents a minute.
    > Now I realise I owe my body and soul to telecom,but do any of
    > the telecom companys offer a flat rate,offpeak plan,to call
    > mobiles overseas.
    > grumpy

    25c a minute is pretty steep too...
    Stu Fleming, Jan 23, 2006

  3. grumpyoldhori

    neutrino Guest

    you don't say if the friend in UK has a PC?(I's assume she has if using
    Skype) if so and she has Skype... pc to pc (skype to skype) is free!
    a No-Cost option!
    25nz a minute? is that to use SkypeOut ? that seems a little high for
    Skype.. thought it was a whole lot cheaper than that.... using the
    skype via pc that is.
    neutrino, Jan 23, 2006
  4. neutrino wrote:

    > you don't say if the friend in UK has a PC?(I's assume she has if using
    > Skype) if so and she has Skype... pc to pc (skype to skype) is free!
    > a No-Cost option!
    > 25nz a minute? is that to use SkypeOut ? that seems a little high for
    > Skype.. thought it was a whole lot cheaper than that.... using the
    > skype via pc that is.

    No,no computer over in the UK.
    She only has a mobile phone
    Skype out to an ordinary phone is cheap,but it would add up
    at 25 cents.
    Damn,hit head on desk,did not do a UK group search.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 23, 2006
  5. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > A friend of my wife only has a mobile phone in the UK.
    > Checked the Skype out rate,runs around NZ, 25 cents a minute.
    > Now I realise I owe my body and soul to telecom,but do any of
    > the telecom companys offer a flat rate,offpeak plan,to call
    > mobiles overseas.
    > grumpy

    A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.
    steve, Jan 23, 2006
  6. steve wrote:

    > A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

    Is that with Skype,Steve
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 23, 2006
  7. steve wrote:

    > grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >

    > > A friend of my wife only has a mobile phone in the UK.
    > > Checked the Skype out rate,runs around NZ, 25 cents a minute.
    > > Now I realise I owe my body and soul to telecom,but do any of
    > > the telecom companys offer a flat rate,offpeak plan,to call
    > > mobiles overseas.
    > > grumpy

    > A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

    Not on Skype - there it is NZ$0.356 per minute
    http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates.html?currency=NZD#listing-U

    Same with other VoIP providers
    ie NZ$0.30 per minute on Slingshot iTalk
    http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=21&subnav=6#U

    Its because they get charged more for terminating into the mobile
    network at the other end. Same story if someone in the UK calls into a
    NZ mobile

    At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    mobile as well as outgoing :p
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 23, 2006
  8. grumpyoldhori

    Crash Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    [snip]
    > At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    > mobile as well as outgoing :p

    IIRC the reason for that is in the North American numbering plan there is no
    provision for cellphones. The use of <area code> <number> is universal and you
    cannot tell if you are calling a cellphone or not. In almost every other
    country the numbering plan allows the numbers used for cellphones to be easily
    recognised so therefore the caller is ware that a cost will accrue in dialling
    cellphone numbers.

    Crash.
    Crash, Jan 24, 2006
  9. T'was the 23 Jan 2006 14:04:11 -0800 when I remembered "Nathan
    Mercer" <> saying something like this:

    >At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    >mobile as well as outgoing :p

    Roaming?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jan 24, 2006
  10. Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the 23 Jan 2006 14:04:11 -0800 when I remembered "Nathan
    > Mercer" <> saying something like this:
    >
    > >At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    > >mobile as well as outgoing :p

    > Roaming?

    No, that is even more of a ripoff - the cheapest Incoming (Roam
    Forward) Calls are NZ$2.29

    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/services/roaming_countries/usa_-_all_compare.jsp

    <bleep> <bleep>

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2006
  11. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

    > Is that with Skype,Steve
    > grumpy

    No.

    If you call a mobile number in the UK from your home land line, you'll pay
    the same rate to that country as you would to a landline phone in that
    country.

    If this isn't the case, I'd be very surprised.

    How could a mobile company in the UK charge you some un-advertised and
    unknown rate to call their subscriber?

    The legal and financial mechanics for the businesses concerned in the call
    completion don't bear thinking about if that were the case.
    steve, Jan 25, 2006
  12. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >>

    >> > A friend of my wife only has a mobile phone in the UK.
    >> > Checked the Skype out rate,runs around NZ, 25 cents a minute.
    >> > Now I realise I owe my body and soul to telecom,but do any of
    >> > the telecom companys offer a flat rate,offpeak plan,to call
    >> > mobiles overseas.
    >> > grumpy

    >> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

    > Not on Skype - there it is NZ$0.356 per minute

    http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates.html?currency=NZD#listing-U

    > Same with other VoIP providers
    > ie NZ$0.30 per minute on Slingshot iTalk

    http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=21&subnav=6#U

    > Its because they get charged more for terminating into the mobile
    > network at the other end. Same story if someone in the UK calls into a
    > NZ mobile
    >
    > At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    > mobile as well as outgoing :p

    So using Skype for calling overseas mobiles isn't a good idea.

    Best to use the - cheaper - landline.

    I thought the OP was asking for the cheapest way.......but didn't think he
    meant VoIP only.
    steve, Jan 25, 2006
  13. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    Crash wrote:

    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    >> mobile as well as outgoing :p

    > IIRC the reason for that is in the North American numbering plan there is
    > no provision for cellphones. The use of <area code> <number> is universal
    > and you
    > cannot tell if you are calling a cellphone or not. In almost every other
    > country the numbering plan allows the numbers used for cellphones to be
    > easily recognised so therefore the caller is ware that a cost will accrue
    > in dialling cellphone numbers.
    >
    > Crash.

    They are only easily recognised if you know the numbering scheme.

    A guy in Japan won't know that +64-27-<number> is a cellphone, while
    +64-06-<number> isn't.
    steve, Jan 25, 2006
  14. steve wrote:
    > grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

    >> Is that with Skype,Steve
    >> grumpy

    > No.
    >
    > If you call a mobile number in the UK from your home land line, you'll pay
    > the same rate to that country as you would to a landline phone in that
    > country.
    >
    > If this isn't the case, I'd be very surprised.
    >
    > How could a mobile company in the UK charge you some un-advertised and
    > unknown rate to call their subscriber?
    >
    > The legal and financial mechanics for the businesses concerned in the call
    > completion don't bear thinking about if that were the case.

    You pay the same up to a point, with the Telecom call capping they don't
    include international mobiles. It is a common practice to charge more
    to call a mobile internationally.
    Jason Fanning, Jan 25, 2006
  15. grumpyoldhori

    Guest

    steve wrote:
    > grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >
    > > steve wrote:
    > >
    > >> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

    > > Is that with Skype,Steve
    > > grumpy

    > No.
    >
    > If you call a mobile number in the UK from your home land line, you'll pay
    > the same rate to that country as you would to a landline phone in that
    > country.
    >
    > If this isn't the case, I'd be very surprised.
    >
    > How could a mobile company in the UK charge you some un-advertised and
    > unknown rate to call their subscriber?
    >
    > The legal and financial mechanics for the businesses concerned in the call
    > completion don't bear thinking about if that were the case.

    Calls to mobiles from a landline ARE more expensive. It has been that
    way for years.

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,201721-1461,00.html

    'International Calls to mobile phones in 40 countries cost more than
    calls to fixed-line phones and are excluded from $3 and $6
    International Weekends and Weeknights and other International Caps.

    United Kingdom $0.99(Peak) $0.59(Off Peak)

    Calls to a landline are $0.65 (Peak) $0.(54 Off Peak)

    As someone else said, the termination rates to mobiles are a lot
    higher.
    , Jan 25, 2006
  16. steve wrote:

    > >> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

    > > Not on Skype - there it is NZ$0.356 per minute
    > >

    > http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates.html?currency=NZD#listing-U
    > >
    > > Same with other VoIP providers
    > > ie NZ$0.30 per minute on Slingshot iTalk
    > >

    > http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=21&subnav=6#U
    > >
    > > Its because they get charged more for terminating into the mobile
    > > network at the other end. Same story if someone in the UK calls into a
    > > NZ mobile
    > >
    > > At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    > > mobile as well as outgoing :p

    > So using Skype for calling overseas mobiles isn't a good idea.
    >
    > Best to use the - cheaper - landline.
    >
    > I thought the OP was asking for the cheapest way.......but didn't think he
    > meant VoIP only.

    A fixed line telco, like Telecom, let you ring a UK mobile for cheaper
    than 35c a minute?

    I doubt it

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 25, 2006
  17. steve wrote:
    > > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > >> At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
    > >> mobile as well as outgoing :p

    > > IIRC the reason for that is in the North American numbering plan there is
    > > no provision for cellphones. The use of <area code> <number> is universal
    > > and you
    > > cannot tell if you are calling a cellphone or not. In almost every other
    > > country the numbering plan allows the numbers used for cellphones to be
    > > easily recognised so therefore the caller is ware that a cost will accrue
    > > in dialling cellphone numbers.
    > >
    > > Crash.

    > They are only easily recognised if you know the numbering scheme.
    >
    > A guy in Japan won't know that +64-27-<number> is a cellphone, while
    > +64-06-<number> isn't.

    At least there is a chance of knowing, instead of just guessing when
    fixed and mobile share the same prefix
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 25, 2006
  18. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    wrote:

    > Calls to mobiles from a landline ARE more expensive. It has been that
    > way for years.
    >
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,201721-1461,00.html
    >
    > 'International Calls to mobile phones in 40 countries cost more than
    > calls to fixed-line phones and are excluded from $3 and $6
    > International Weekends and Weeknights and other International Caps.
    >
    > United Kingdom $0.99(Peak) $0.59(Off Peak)
    >
    > Calls to a landline are $0.65 (Peak) $0.(54 Off Peak)
    >
    > As someone else said, the termination rates to mobiles are a lot
    > higher.

    Hmmmm. OK.

    Must be because I usually call Canadian cellphones....and I've never seen
    any extra charges that I recognised as such.
    steve, Jan 25, 2006
  19. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > A fixed line telco, like Telecom, let you ring a UK mobile for cheaper
    > than 35c a minute?
    >
    > I doubt it

    I checked the Telecom web site.

    What I am saying is true for Canada and the US.

    Calling a mobile in those countries is the same as calling a land line.

    But for a list of 40 countries, you do have to pay extra. I didn't realise
    as I have never called any mobiles in those countries - but I do regularly
    call mobiles in North America where there is no difference.

    Hence my confusion.

    Thanks for promting me to look into the detail.

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,201721-1461,00.html
    steve, Jan 25, 2006