    find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or online.
    Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?

    All opinions greatly appreciated.

    Jeff Conescu, Nov 15, 2004

  2. "Jeff Conescu" <> wrote in message
    news:4198991e$0$25774$...
    > [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
    >
    > Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of

    it's
    > own...
    >
    > With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the

    newer
    > ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
    > models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck

    in
    > discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly
    > look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I

    can't
    > find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or

    online.
    > Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
    >
    > All opinions greatly appreciated.

    I'm no expert but since the compressor is outside they are much quieter and
    to my knowledge no less efficient or reliable. Way to go IMHO.

    --
    Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

    Rheilly Phoull, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Jeff Conescu

    Jeff Conescu Guest

    "Rheilly Phoull" <> wrote in message
    > > [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
    > >
    > > Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of

    > it's own...
    > >
    > > With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the

    > newer
    > > ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
    > > models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck

    > in
    > > discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They

    certainly
    > > look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I

    > can't find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or
    > online. Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
    > >
    > > All opinions greatly appreciated.
    > >

    > I'm no expert but since the compressor is outside they are much quieter

    and
    > to my knowledge no less efficient or reliable.

    Isn't that the same for both wall mounts and ceiling/wall units?

    > Way to go IMHO.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Jeff Conescu, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Jeff Conescu

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:55:20 +1100, "Jeff Conescu" <>
    wrote:

    >[All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
    >
    >Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of it's
    >own...
    >
    >With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the newer
    >ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
    >models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck in
    >discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly
    >look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I can't
    >find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or online.
    >Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
    >
    >All opinions greatly appreciated.

    You might get some good response at

    alt.home.repair

    joevan, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Jeff Conescu

    Andy Guest

    they're typically a lot quieter as the compressor sits outside the house,
    (advice, if ur gonna get it wall mounted be careful, the one we have seems
    to work at the exact reverb frequency of the room making it rather loud).

    Andy, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Jeff Conescu

    HawkEye Guest

    Before I lived in a house with a Split system sitting near the roof,
    one of those long types... It was nice and cool, quiet too but only
    just powerful enough for the 1 or 2 rooms.

    In my current place we got one of those old square air conds with the
    split box in the garage like the other system. Buts its a lot more
    noisy, and doesnt cool well at all. Looks ugly too.

    I will probably upgrade to a refrigerated split system with multiple
    outlets when I can't take it anymore.

    HawkEye, Nov 15, 2004
  7. Jeff Conescu

    HawkEye, Nov 15, 2004
  8. Jeff Conescu

    HawkEye, Nov 15, 2004
  9. Jeff Conescu

    Marke Guest

    there performance rating should be based on the same HP rating you used on
    the old square systems, because the out side unit is seperate to the inside
    unit it is alot quieter, they have to be efficient, the hotel i work for
    have 1 in most rooms and 2 in others its more of a case of buyer be aware
    for reliability, cheaper models you will most likely get electronic failure
    as most guarantree 5 years on compressors

    good luck

    Marke, Nov 15, 2004
  10. Jeff Conescu

    Jeff Conescu Guest

    > [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
    >
    > Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of

    it's
    > own...
    >
    > With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the

    newer
    > ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
    > models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck

    in
    > discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly
    > look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I

    can't
    > find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or

    online.
    > Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
    >
    > All opinions greatly appreciated.

    Just to clarify - both units are split systems with the compressor in a
    separate unit outside the box. The only fundamental difference is the
    location of the long rectangular interface on the wall (as opposed to the
    all in one box units which many seem to be referring to). Sorry if I didn't
    make this clear at first.

    Jeff Conescu, Nov 15, 2004
  11. Jeff Conescu wrote:

    > [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
    >
    > Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of
    > it's own...
    >
    > With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the
    > newer ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional
    > wall-mount models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall
    > and tuck in discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall.
    > They certainly look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on
    > them, but I can't find any information regarding their performance, either
    > in-store or online. Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
    >
    > All opinions greatly appreciated.

    I cant answer that question, but I'll add something.

    I saw a system that might be described as a "whole of house" extraction
    fan. A single fan at the top of the roof, connected by ducting to
    individual rooms. The fan extracts hot air from the roof & sucks hot air
    from rooms via ducting.

    Its getting popular in the USA & is a lost less expensive to install/run
    than standard air conditioning.

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Nov 16, 2004
  12. "Jeff Conescu" <> wrote in message
    > "Jeff Conescu" <> wrote in message
    > > [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
    > >
    > > Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of

    > it's
    > > own...
    > >
    > > With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the

    > newer
    > > ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
    > > models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck

    > in
    > > discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They

    certainly
    > > look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I

    > can't
    > > find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or

    > online.
    > > Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
    > >
    > > All opinions greatly appreciated.

    > Just to clarify - both units are split systems with the compressor in a
    > separate unit outside the box. The only fundamental difference is the
    > location of the long rectangular interface on the wall (as opposed to the
    > all in one box units which many seem to be referring to). Sorry if I

    didn't
    > make this clear at first.

    Split systems certainly are less noisy, that being one of their main reasons
    for existance ;-)
    Efficiency wise AFAIK there would be little difference, listen to SWMBO and
    earn many 'brownie points' !!

    --
    Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

    Rheilly Phoull, Nov 16, 2004
  13. Jeff Conescu

    Ausdb Guest

    wrote:

    >With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the newer
    >ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
    >models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck in
    >discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall.

    A little tip, any air conditioner stuck in the corner is not going to
    perform as effectively as one in the middle of the room.

    Some points to be aware of in regard to split system air conditioners
    of any type, brand size etc:
    1 Bigger is not always better, select the air conditioner to cool or
    heat the room based on the heat loss or gain to the area not just the
    floor area. Large area's of glass with the sun on them with seriously
    affect the heat load.
    2 Repeat point 1 , especially in regard to inverter types
    3 Split system air conditioners are still a ROOM air conditioner, ie
    they will condition the room they are installed in, not flow down the
    passage and do this room or that room.
    4 Position the indoor unit for the best air distribtion in the room,
    air is hard to bend and doesn't like trying to do a 90° bend.
    5 Don't position the indoor unit where you will sit directly in front
    of it, you will regret this in winter when you experience drafts.
    6 Please consider your neighbours when siting your outdoor unit, it
    may fit at the side of your house but if the noise from it affects
    your neighbours they are the ones with the upper hand with the council
    and the EPA
    7 You get what you pay for in terms of product, service and advice.

    HTH

    Ausdb

    Ausdb, Nov 16, 2004