    phone".

    Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

    Conan Kelly

    Conan Kelly, May 23, 2007

  2. "Conan Kelly" <> writes:
    > I was wondering if it is possible to call one of our IP phones from one of
    > the other computers on our network using Windows Phone Dialer (C:\Program
    > Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe)? Is Windows Phone Dialer considered a "soft
    > phone".

    I don't know anything about windows machines or if that is a SIP phone
    program so I can't give you an ack/nack on that. Even if that program
    won't do the trick for you there are plenty of free SIP phone programs
    kicking around, that won't be your sticking point. The big problem
    will be to get your provider to allow you to make inbound calls to
    them via SIP. Many of them have a policy where the only thing they
    allow is incoming calls via the telco. I would call them up and ask
    if they do allow inbound SIP calls and what the hostname of the sip
    machine is and what phone number to use in the SIP address to make a
    certain phone ring. Usually it will be the full 10-digit phone number
    (without any leading "1"), but it could really be anything ranging
    from just the trailing 4 or 5 digits to the 10-digit number with "+1"
    prefixed. Then with that hostname and phone number in hand you get
    your SIP phone program to call phone_number@full_hostname.

    I've got a SIP server running here, and one of the handiest things is
    being able to call other folks directly via the internet with no telco
    voice lines involved.

    (If you do need to find a SIP phone program, Google for "soft phone".
    You'll find more than you can shake a stick at.)

    -wolfgang
    Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, May 23, 2007

  3. Conan Kelly

    Conan Kelly Guest

    Wolfgang,

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Once again, please forgive my ignorance (please feel free to educate me as
    much as you see fit)

    From the looks of it, I should be able to use Windows Phone Dialer to make a
    PC to PC call using ?H323? (have not yet tried to do this)

    I was hoping that I could make a PC to IP Phone (Cisco Systems 7960 series)
    (which I THINK is on the same network (?subnet?) as the computers) call
    using the same method.

    From your response I'm getting that IP Phones can only make/receive calls
    using SIP and involving a SIP server. <-- Is this correct?

    Thanks again for all of your help,

    Conan

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Conan Kelly, May 24, 2007
  4. "Conan Kelly" <> writes:
    > From your response I'm getting that IP Phones can only make/receive calls
    > using SIP and involving a SIP server. <-- Is this correct?

    Your phones may be able to receive direct calls. It all depends on
    the firmware and how the phones are setup. Some phones will only
    allow SIP connections from their SIP server. It certainly won't be
    convenient to call the phones directly unless you happen to know the
    phone's hostname.

    > From the looks of it, I should be able to use Windows Phone Dialer to make a
    > PC to PC call using ?H323? (have not yet tried to do this)

    As for H323, that's not the right protocol. You want SIP/RTP/ulaw.

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, May 24, 2007
  5. Conan:

    I know there was a programme included with Windows called Windows Dialer
    that just controlled the computer's modem. This may be different than what
    you are referring to, but I know that a super simple modem dialer called
    "Windows Dialer" did exist.

    There are many SIP based Softphones out there. Gizmo seems alright so
    far, although I admit I have not used it much. It is free and I have one
    friend who really likes it.

    (http://www.gizmoproject.com/)

    John McKenzie, May 28, 2007
  6. Conan Kelly

    Conan Kelly Guest

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > "Conan Kelly" <> writes:
    >> I was wondering if it is possible to call one of our IP phones from one
    >> of
    >> the other computers on our network using Windows Phone Dialer (C:\Program
    >> Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe)? Is Windows Phone Dialer considered a "soft
    >> phone".

    > I don't know anything about windows machines or if that is a SIP phone
    > program so I can't give you an ack/nack on that. Even if that program
    > won't do the trick for you there are plenty of free SIP phone programs
    > kicking around, that won't be your sticking point. The big problem
    > will be to get your provider to allow you to make inbound calls to
    > them via SIP. Many of them have a policy where the only thing they
    > allow is incoming calls via the telco. I would call them up and ask
    > if they do allow inbound SIP calls and what the hostname of the sip
    > machine is and what phone number to use in the SIP address to make a
    > certain phone ring. Usually it will be the full 10-digit phone number
    > (without any leading "1"), but it could really be anything ranging
    > from just the trailing 4 or 5 digits to the 10-digit number with "+1"
    > prefixed. Then with that hostname and phone number in hand you get
    > your SIP phone program to call phone_number@full_hostname.
    >
    > -wolfgang

    Wolfgang,

    Thanks again for all of your help.

    Is there any way to get to get the info you listed above by looking at the
    phone's settings (Cisco Systems 7960 Series)?

    Conan

    Conan Kelly, Jun 16, 2007
  7. "Conan Kelly" <> writes:
    > Wolfgang,
    >
    > Thanks again for all of your help.

    You're welcome.

    > Is there any way to get to get the info you listed above by looking at the
    > phone's settings (Cisco Systems 7960 Series)?

    You can probably get the phone's IP address from the phone itself --
    but if it is assigned by dhcp, it may not be constant. A few day's
    later it may be something else. The "right" way to do this is connect
    to the phone's sip server.

    -wolfgang
    IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 16, 2007