    at (remove NOSPAM). Thanks.

    Ciao :)

    MB
    Minkabelle22, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Minkabelle22

    TBone Guest

    "Minkabelle22" <> wrote
    > I'm considering sitting the MCDST test and would like to speak to
    > others who are already accredited, especially other Australians.
    > Mainly want to discuss what resources you used to study, etc. Email me
    > at (remove NOSPAM). Thanks.

    Why email privately? This forum should cover exactly what you are asking
    for. Why not post here so everyone can discuss it? In fact to save you time,
    many answers to your questions can probably be found be googling this very
    group.
    TBone, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Minkabelle22

    Minkabelle22 Guest

    Thanks T-Bone. I've already googled for information on this topic but
    didn't really find what I was after. I would prefer to hear it from
    others who have done the course.

    OK, all MCDST's, feel free to post to this NG...

    MB

    Minkabelle22, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Minkabelle22

    Rob Guest

    I used several resources to study for this test. For 271
    I attended the MOC course and found it to be informative
    and good source of information. After that and since
    none of the books had been written for this test I used
    the Sybex study guide for the 70-270 test. It brought it
    all together, and closed it with the measure up for
    Windows XP. Because of this I took both the 270 and 271
    the same day and passed.

    For the 272 test I also attended the MOC course and found
    it to also be good information. However to bring it all
    together I used two different books the exam cram book
    and the MS press book. I read the MS press book first
    and did all the hands on labs and if any questions could
    not be answered there I referred to the Office 2003
    resource kit or the MS knowledge base. Then the week
    before the test I studied the Exam Cram book. The
    weekend before the test and through out my study I used
    the measure up software to help to study.

    For both tests I used Virtual PC to give me extra hands
    on with all the material. Since I currently run a help
    desk my end users provided me the best source of study
    material.

    Out of all the sources I used the books and experience
    was my best source. The MOC course were good but they
    did not provide me much in the way of 271, however 272
    was of good value. Especially when it came to outlook
    express since I don't use it at work or home.

    I hope this is useful to you.

    Rob

    Rob, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Minkabelle22

    Minkabelle22 Guest

    Thanks heaps Rob. Due to my remote location, I'm not going to be able
    to attend any of the Instructor-led courses offered in my state. I'm
    rather interested in the Exam Cram books and I have come across a
    package, MCDST 70-271 &70-272 Exam Cram 2 Bundle, which looks rather
    interesting. Does it concentrate mainly on what the questions are
    about?

    I've had a little over 10 years experience with computers and have
    been using Windows XP since 'day dot' so I have a little experience in
    that area already.

    Anyway, can anyone recommend this particular publication to study for
    70-271 & 70-271?

    MB

    Minkabelle22, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Minkabelle22

    DS Guest

    (Minkabelle22) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thanks heaps Rob. Due to my remote location, I'm not going to be able
    > to attend any of the Instructor-led courses offered in my state. I'm
    > rather interested in the Exam Cram books and I have come across a
    > package, MCDST 70-271 &70-272 Exam Cram 2 Bundle, which looks rather
    > interesting. Does it concentrate mainly on what the questions are
    > about?
    >
    > I've had a little over 10 years experience with computers and have
    > been using Windows XP since 'day dot' so I have a little experience in
    > that area already.
    >
    > Anyway, can anyone recommend this particular publication to study for
    > 70-271 & 70-271?
    >
    > MB

    Minkabelle,

    I am in the same boat. I need to go back to work after many years off
    raising a family, and am an old-timer computer geek. I saw that book
    package you are referring to on Amazon just now and was wondering
    about it myself, as there are no reviews:

    I think it is a bundle of these two books, altho the title is slightly
    different on the 70-271 book. There are reviews posted on these books:

    Each of these shows an accompanying CD by MeasureUp. The bundle of the
    two does not note that there are any accompanying CDs. The entry on
    the ExamCram2 web site also does not mention CDs:

    http://www.examcram2.com/title/0789731568

    Cheers,
    DS
    DS, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Minkabelle22

    DS Guest

    OK, I just ordered a copy of this off Amazon Marketplace (new copy +
    shipping = less than Amazon):

    I'll study that over the next month or so (am working on my MOS
    certification, too), then will sign up for either the measureup.com or
    the transcencer.com practice exams:

    http://www.transcender.com/products/pak.asp?sku=PFMCD0100 (try the
    demo)

    http://measureup.com/Cart/moreproductinfoMUP.aspx?AudienceID=Individuals&Prodid=1342

    The Transcender exams are pricier, but I've read really good reviews
    of them here on the Usenet.
    DS, Sep 3, 2004