CallerID fails on calls received on PSTN

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by JoeH, Apr 20, 2007.

  1. JoeH

    JoeH Guest

    Hi

    We have a number of devices in the field (Speedtouch 780, Camrivox,
    Zoom ATA, Sipura ATA, FritzBox). We have the occasional issue with
    CallerID, where it isn't passed through to the connected phone when
    calls come in on the PSTN port.

    The same device and phone may work on another telephone line, but on
    certain lines it doesnt work. Bypassing the intermediary device fixes
    it. We're stumped as to what it could be! The most common culprit
    happen to be BT Phones, but as I mentioned, they work elsewhere..

    Every customer has ADSL - is it feasible that the Router coupled with
    the filter corrupts the CLI? Or could it be, ADSL customers are wired
    through the DSLAM and that (coupled with the router) corrupts it ?

    All regional settings are as per UK/BT.

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Cheers

    Joe

    JoeH, Apr 20, 2007

  2. JoeH

    LVMarc Guest

    JoeH wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > We have a number of devices in the field (Speedtouch 780, Camrivox,
    > Zoom ATA, Sipura ATA, FritzBox). We have the occasional issue with
    > CallerID, where it isn't passed through to the connected phone when
    > calls come in on the PSTN port.
    >
    > The same device and phone may work on another telephone line, but on
    > certain lines it doesnt work. Bypassing the intermediary device fixes
    > it. We're stumped as to what it could be! The most common culprit
    > happen to be BT Phones, but as I mentioned, they work elsewhere..
    >
    > Every customer has ADSL - is it feasible that the Router coupled with
    > the filter corrupts the CLI? Or could it be, ADSL customers are wired
    > through the DSLAM and that (coupled with the router) corrupts it ?
    >
    > All regional settings are as per UK/BT.
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Joe

    Caller ID passing is tricky. The timing is the issue. BT caller ID is
    unique in the telcom world, they use there own timing. Contact me
    directly for more details

    Marc

    LVMarc, Apr 20, 2007

  3. In article <vmaWh.2242$>,
    LVMarc <> writes:
    > Caller ID passing is tricky. The timing is the issue. BT caller ID is
    > unique in the telcom world, they use there own timing. Contact me
    > directly for more details

    I have a number of SPA-3000's, and BT callerid works fine with them.
    I have one in France, and that takes France Telecom's callerid and
    converts it to BT callerid for the phone (which although bought in
    France, supports BT callerid but not French callerid). It even gets
    the off-hook callerid with call waiting right on this French setup
    (although I think that only works if the waiting call came over VoIP).

    Some UK callerid devices have been slightly polarity sensitive. It
    was a well known problem with the first CD50's and the early Hayes
    modems which supported BT callerid. It might be worth checking that
    the polarity is the right way round at the phone, just in case
    you've got a phone which cares about it.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Apr 21, 2007