    modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?

    Any help appreciated.
    Steve
    Steve Sinclair, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Steve Sinclair

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:39:21 +1200, Steve Sinclair
    <> wrote:

    >Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?
    >
    >I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
    >info is being passed from Telecom.
    >
    >I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
    >handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
    >caller info - just the RINGs.
    >
    >Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
    >modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?
    >
    >Any help appreciated.
    >Steve

    When it first came in BBS's were using it to identify callers, so it
    is possible. Perhaps just some settings in your modem need changing?
    Craig Shore, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Steve Sinclair wrote:

    > Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?
    >
    > I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
    > info is being passed from Telecom.
    >
    > I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
    > handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
    > caller info - just the RINGs.
    >
    > Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
    > modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?

    Oops on the last one, ctrl enter is easy to hit when aiming for ctrl end.

    I have tried an old ISA dynalink 56k, a PCI connexant chipsetted dynalink, and
    an external rural dynalink and none of them would do it, there support was also
    pretty short and to the point about not being a guarenteed thing to work on
    there modems.

    I gave up. That was about the time I gave the landline phone idea away so
    screening calls wasnt as important.

    What I was wanting to do was make the modem answer for anyone that wasnt on my
    allowed numbers list. I even had a terminal script all worked out to do it.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 14, 2003
  4. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:39:21 +1200, Steve Sinclair <>
    wrote:

    >Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?
    >
    >I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
    >info is being passed from Telecom.
    >
    >I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
    >handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
    >caller info - just the RINGs.
    >
    >Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
    >modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?
    >
    >Any help appreciated.
    >Steve

    Might not be the correct Caller ID, like the US version that is fitted.
    Master Tech ©, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Steve Sinclair

    RdM Guest

    :
    : I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
    : info is being passed from Telecom.
    :
    : I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
    : handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
    : caller info - just the RINGs.
    :
    : Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
    : modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?
    :
    : Any help appreciated.
    : Steve

    What "software" and OS are you using to receive the "info"?
    I use CallerID from AnalogX, with an ISA Dynalink V1456VQH and it works fine
    in Win98SE. Not sure if I remember getting more than RING RING in a terminal
    screen though - it's been a while since I set it up. Where was your RING ?
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/callerid.htm
    It even distinguishes between

    According to the Readme, "CallerID requires caller ID service from your
    phone company, TAPI 2.0 or greater to be installed, a Unimodem/V driver as
    well as a modem capable of receiving caller ID information. The Unimodem/V
    driver is installed by default on Windows98/2000 machines ... "

    The readme file also mentions this site for more info on callerid and PCs.
    http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid.htm which does seem to have a useful and
    detailed FAQ as well as lists of other callerID & telephony software.

    From one of the software pages, "TAPI programs are preferable, as they can
    coexist with other uses of a modem; you must close non-TAPI programs every
    time you want to use the Net, for example. However programs that can only
    access the modem via TAPI (and not directly via the COM port) will not work
    under Windows NT"

    From the FAQ "The system used in Australia and New Zealand seems to be based
    on Bellcore, but it seems sufficiently different that not all US equipment
    will work." See http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_18 .
    It may be that your PureTek (though made in Taiwan?) doesn't work well here,
    but perhaps some of the above will help you check it out thoroughly:)
    RdM, Jul 15, 2003
  6. RdM <> hit Ctrl-N instead of Shift-N and found he'd
    posted inadvertently before completion ...:

    : http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/callerid.htm
    : It even distinguishes between

    It even distinguishes between

    : According to the Readme, "CallerID requires caller ID service from your
    : phone company, TAPI 2.0 or greater to be installed, a Unimodem/V driver as
    : well as a modem capable of receiving caller ID information. The Unimodem/V
    : driver is installed by default on Windows98/2000 machines ... "
    :
    : The readme file also mentions this site for more info on callerid and PCs.
    : http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid.htm which does seem to have a useful and
    : detailed FAQ as well as lists of other callerID & telephony software.
    :
    : From one of the software pages, "TAPI programs are preferable, as they can
    : coexist with other uses of a modem; you must close non-TAPI programs every
    : time you want to use the Net, for example. However programs that can only
    : access the modem via TAPI (and not directly via the COM port) will not work
    : under Windows NT"
    :
    : From the FAQ "The system used in Australia and New Zealand seems to be based
    Ross Matheson, Jul 15, 2003
  7. : RdM <> hit Ctrl-N instead of Shift-N and found he'd
    : posted inadvertently before completion ...:
    :
    : : http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/callerid.htm
    : : It even distinguishes between
    :
    : It even distinguishes between

    Aaaargh! I hate that - did it again!
    It hardly seems worth mentioning now, but it displays both No Callerid Info
    and Blocked in its logs, so it seems to be able to distinguish between them.
    Ross Matheson, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Steve Sinclair

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:18:53 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> When it first came in BBS's were using it to identify callers, so it
    >> is possible. Perhaps just some settings in your modem need changing?
    >>

    >Never saw a BBS using it directly..... I know quite a few sysops had the
    >external unit conencted to the line so they could match new signups numbers
    >etc as verification but none actually had software that used the modem etc
    >for it.
    >If it was possible I probably wouldve started using it to prevent fake
    >accounts etc...

    Most of the ones in Christchurch were using it off the modem. If I can
    recall correctly, it was mostly the boards running Searchlight
    Software, they had a program you passed through when logging in, and
    if your phone number it detected (it showed it on the login screen)
    didn't match the number in their database from when you signed up it
    wouldn't let you in. I think it gave you the option to update the
    number, which the sysop would authorise.
    Craig Shore, Jul 15, 2003
  9. Steve Sinclair

    KewlKiwi Guest

    KewlKiwi, Jul 15, 2003
  10. Steve Sinclair

    Kiwi Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:06:24 GMT, (Craig
    Shore) wrote:

    >Most of the ones in Christchurch were using it off the modem. If I can
    >recall correctly, it was mostly the boards running Searchlight
    >Software, they had a program you passed through when logging in, and
    >if your phone number it detected (it showed it on the login screen)
    >didn't match the number in their database from when you signed up it
    >wouldn't let you in. I think it gave you the option to update the
    >number, which the sysop would authorise.

    Wow!!,

    That takes me back. I had a private board running for people in the
    telecommunications industry using Searchlight. It was way ahead of
    anyhting else out there at the time. Had some great features.

    Cheers, Paul R
    Kiwi, Jul 15, 2003
  11. Steve Sinclair

    The Flash Guest

    "Steve Sinclair" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?
    >
    > I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
    > info is being passed from Telecom.
    >
    > I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
    > handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
    > caller info - just the RINGs.
    >
    > Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
    > modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Steve

    Simple answer is it works 100% with a caller ID modem that supports NZ
    caller ID method.

    This means talk to some one who supplys POS modems and they will give you
    the address of the crowd in auckland who make the NZ complient modems. It is
    expensive >$200 for a 33.6k Caller ID modem this in hand you can then A)
    Purchase some thing like Parabllum's Caller log software or B) Use ACT6 or
    such and trigger its database and call logging features.

    I spent a long time and must have tried a dozen different modems (Dlink,
    Dynalink, USR, Generics. Swann ect) to find this out.

    However telecom were very 'helpful' as they said it would NEVER work but
    offered a digital bisness exchange that had this feature and came with
    software for just $190 dollars a week on a three year lease oh it did have 5
    phones and allow transfer between other offices in new zealand that also had
    equipment installed at $120 a week per branch.

    As you can guess we did not go the telecom method not wishing to commit to a
    $30k land phone package when 2 lines do the job ok.

    If you have any difficultys finding the modem supplier please post agin and
    I will hunt the address up.
    The Flash, Jul 16, 2003