    elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
    anywhere...not even under help.
    Thanks.

    Fred Johnson, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Fred Johnson bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
    > flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
    > settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
    > elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
    > anywhere...not even under help.
    > Thanks.

    Caller ID?

    Provided by the Modem software. v92.bis modems do it i think.

    Michael Thompson, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Fred Johnson

    EricP Guest

    On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:55:14 GMT, Fred Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
    >flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
    >settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
    >elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
    >anywhere...not even under help.
    >Thanks.

    I take it you are on dialup?

    It is a feature of the protocol you are using to connect with. The
    controls for it, if any, should be in the modem controls.

    EricP, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Fred Johnson

    Fred Johnson Guest

    I am using DSL for my net connection, not dial-up. But of course I do
    have a phone line plugged into the computer's modem. Mainly for FAX
    purposes. The caller's number pops up, but not the name even though
    the name does appear on my phone's caller ID list.

    Fred Johnson, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Fred Johnson

    phil Guest

    that souns like a cool gadget . where u get it?

    --
    Remove the "oh" to reply please.

    Phil

    phil, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Fred Johnson

    Thaqalain Guest

    Fred Johnson wrote:
    > On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
    > flashes up on my screen. What is the feature called? Are there
    > settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem settings and
    > elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to this feature
    > anywhere...not even under help.
    > Thanks.

    U have to disable it in your fax program.Provide detail of Fax Prog and
    Modem under use,may be we will take benefit.

    Thaqalain, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Fred Johnson

    Fred Johnson Guest

    It came built in with my Dell 2400. And just started working when I
    hooked up my phone line. I was surprised when the caller ID bubble
    poped up the first time.

    Fred Johnson, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Fred Johnson

    The Wanderer Guest

    On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:49:58 GMT, Fred Johnson wrote:

    > It came built in with my Dell 2400. And just started working when I
    > hooked up my phone line. I was surprised when the caller ID bubble
    > poped up the first time.

    Err, asking the obvious question, are you in the UK?

    I've had two or three different voice/fax modems over the years, all
    allegedly with CallerID, and tried out quite a few software packages for
    telephone answering. Not one would work with Caller ID.

    Apparently BT don't implement Caller ID in accordance with international
    standards.

    --
    the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

    The Wanderer, Nov 5, 2005