Calleasy.com (yet another Betamax provider)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, Dec 28, 2008.

  1. Has anyone had any experience with calleasy.com? They're a new(-ish, March
    2008) Betamax brand, currently the cheapest to UK mobiles as well as other
    destinations.

    So far as I can tell, they don't announce SIP access, but only for access
    numbers or phone-to-phone calls (ie two VOIP calls back-to-back). But it
    seems that you can use it for SIP.

    This page:
    http://www.eng.freevoiphr.com/html/info.html
    says to use the SIP settings for poivy.com

    but this page:
    http://tinyurl.com/7jc7a9
    (translated from the Polish)
    suggests that if you use sip.budgetsip.com it collects the 'betamax standard
    fare' (EUR0.10/min for a Poland mobile, twice the current calleasy price)

    and so does this page (translated from Russian)
    http://tinyurl.com/a67mvk

    meanwhile this Russian says to use connectionserver.calleasy.com:
    http://tinyurl.com/9kcrj9
    and mentions the lower calleasy rates. But connectionserver.calleasy.com
    doesn't exist in the DNS. It says you can also use the servers of any other
    Betamax service.

    Has anyone successfully used it with SIP? Do you get charged the Calleasy
    rates or some higher rates?

    I also want to set the CLID. On most other Betamax brands this is done with
    the Windows app, but Calleasy doesn't offer it. Can I reconfigure the app
    from SMSListo, Poivy or whoever to set up CLID on calleasy's offering?

    Thanks
    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 28, 2008

  2. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone had any experience with calleasy.com? They're a new(-ish,
    > March
    > 2008) Betamax brand, currently the cheapest to UK mobiles as well as other
    > destinations.
    >
    > So far as I can tell, they don't announce SIP access, but only for access
    > numbers or phone-to-phone calls (ie two VOIP calls back-to-back). But it
    > seems that you can use it for SIP.
    >
    > This page:
    > http://www.eng.freevoiphr.com/html/info.html
    > says to use the SIP settings for poivy.com
    >
    > but this page:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7jc7a9
    > (translated from the Polish)
    > suggests that if you use sip.budgetsip.com it collects the 'betamax
    > standard
    > fare' (EUR0.10/min for a Poland mobile, twice the current calleasy price)
    >
    > and so does this page (translated from Russian)
    > http://tinyurl.com/a67mvk
    >
    > meanwhile this Russian says to use connectionserver.calleasy.com:
    > http://tinyurl.com/9kcrj9
    > and mentions the lower calleasy rates. But connectionserver.calleasy.com
    > doesn't exist in the DNS. It says you can also use the servers of any
    > other
    > Betamax service.
    >
    > Has anyone successfully used it with SIP? Do you get charged the Calleasy
    > rates or some higher rates?
    >
    > I also want to set the CLID. On most other Betamax brands this is done
    > with
    > the Windows app, but Calleasy doesn't offer it. Can I reconfigure the app
    > from SMSListo, Poivy or whoever to set up CLID on calleasy's offering?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Theo

    Yes, I made a post here on 3/12 @2300
    I came to the conclusion it wasn't voip in the usual sense,
    but prompted by your post, and knowing that most, if not all the Betamax
    sip proxies resolve to 194.221.62.198 I just grabbed an account and
    put it into X-Lite and it allowed me to make a couple of free calls.
    so it does work.:)

    Paypal is an option and there is 60 eurocents handling fee, I will
    probably jump ship when my smslisto credit runs out.

    Pity about the CLI though, I can't think of a way round that.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 28, 2008

  3. Graham. <> wrote:

    > Yes, I made a post here on 3/12 @2300
    > I came to the conclusion it wasn't voip in the usual sense,
    > but prompted by your post, and knowing that most, if not all the Betamax
    > sip proxies resolve to 194.221.62.198 I just grabbed an account and
    > put it into X-Lite and it allowed me to make a couple of free calls.
    > so it does work.:)

    Hmm... interesting. Does SIP have a part of the protocol that looks like
    the Host: header in HTTP - so it knows by which textual name you accessed
    the service? Otherwise I'm puzzled as to how they can charge different
    rates for different frontend sites. Or maybe they're all charged at the
    expensive rate?

    > Paypal is an option and there is 60 eurocents handling fee, I will
    > probably jump ship when my smslisto credit runs out.

    That's precisely what I'm looking to do :)

    > Pity about the CLI though, I can't think of a way round that.

    I'd be tempted to try putting my calleasy details into the SMSListo Windows
    app, and see if it'll register numbers for CLID. I'm guessing it's all the
    same underneath.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 28, 2008
  4. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    UPDATE...
    It does allow you to present as a CLI the mobile number that you are
    forced to submit, to obtain SMS verification code, when you first
    try to buy credit.
    Manually adding other numbers in the "my invoice address" tab does
    not allow you to present them.

    In spite of what it says on the foot of the rates page about
    Freedays, there do not appear to be any free destinations,
    so if I had credit I would expect to pay per min for all calls
    including UK land lines.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 28, 2008
  5. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    > Hmm... interesting. Does SIP have a part of the protocol that looks like
    > the Host: header in HTTP - so it knows by which textual name you accessed
    > the service? Otherwise I'm puzzled as to how they can charge different
    > rates for different frontend sites. Or maybe they're all charged at the
    > expensive rate?

    Nah, I think it's simpler than that, and it's just done administratively.
    The same user name cannot exist in more than one clone. (I've tried).
    So the correct tariff is always linked to the user.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 28, 2008
  6. Graham. <> wrote:
    > Nah, I think it's simpler than that, and it's just done administratively.
    > The same user name cannot exist in more than one clone. (I've tried).
    > So the correct tariff is always linked to the user.

    Yes, I see that. But if you read the Polish and Russian threads you'll find
    people who were charged double the advertised Calleasy rate by using SIP.
    (And, in the interested of balance, some who don't mention that they were.
    Nobody says they were charged the Calleasy rate but I'd have thought someone
    would contradict the nay-sayers if they were wrong)

    So either Calleasy's rates are only for dialthrough, and for SIP it works
    like A.N.Other Betamax clone and is charged accordingly. Or there's some
    other non-obvious way to get the advertised rate over SIP. What you say
    makes sense, though, so I might assume that SIP calls aren't charged at such
    good rates. Which would be annoying, and make it a bit more of a risky
    proposition for my circumstances.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 28, 2008
  7. Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    > So either Calleasy's rates are only for dialthrough, and for SIP it works
    > like A.N.Other Betamax clone and is charged accordingly. Or there's some
    > other non-obvious way to get the advertised rate over SIP. What you say
    > makes sense, though, so I might assume that SIP calls aren't charged at such
    > good rates. Which would be annoying, and make it a bit more of a risky
    > proposition for my circumstances.

    This thread:
    http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=163220
    translation here:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/9n83z3

    does suggest rather more clearly that SIP is charged at 2-3x the calleasy
    rates. So I think SIP is a waste of time as far as calleasy is concerned :(

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 30, 2008