    my call vantage died tonite, customer service said there is a nation wide
    problem?

    anyone else have this problem?
    steve, Mar 8, 2005

  2. steve

    Desh Guest

    My service is dead, too. Since about 9pm I think. I wasn't home
    earlier. My internet is fine. But , the callvantage website is down.
    And the callvantage phone service goes busy AFTER I enter in all of my
    information.

    Any updates from anyone else out there?

    Desh
    Desh, Mar 8, 2005

  3. steve

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Desh" <> wrote in message
    > My service is dead, too. Since about 9pm I think. I wasn't home
    > earlier. My internet is fine. But , the callvantage website is down.
    > And the callvantage phone service goes busy AFTER I enter in all of my
    > information.
    >
    > Any updates from anyone else out there?
    >
    > Desh

    They are probably making "improvements". Half of Vonage subscribers were
    down Friday over a glitch in new software.
    Pepperoni, Mar 8, 2005
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    my service went out at 9 pm est as well. dial tone only could not call or
    recieve, now no dial tone. was on phone with tech support for almost 1 hour
    then i was told there is a nationwide outage

    steve, Mar 8, 2005
  5. steve

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Desh wrote:
    > My service is dead, too. Since about 9pm I think. I wasn't home
    > earlier. My internet is fine. But , the callvantage website is down.
    > And the callvantage phone service goes busy AFTER I enter in all of my
    > information.
    >
    > Any updates from anyone else out there?

    All is normal in the AM in MA - RM
    Rick Merrill, Mar 8, 2005
  6. steve

    Guest

    I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about the respective VoIP
    providers having service outages. As far as I know, my SunRocket has
    been alright. CallVantage, Lingo, and Vonage have all had recent
    outages. Does anyone know why all the sudden the rash of service
    problems?
    , Mar 9, 2005
  7. steve

    Jo Cloe Guest

    No proof, but it won't surprise me if certain ISPs start blocking
    ports required for SIP. Time will tell.....

    Jo Cloe, Mar 10, 2005
  8. steve

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jo Cloe" <> wrote in message
    > No proof, but it won't surprise me if certain ISPs start blocking
    > ports required for SIP. Time will tell.....

    They won't mind losing customers hand over fist then...

    --

    Ivor

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Ivor Jones, Mar 10, 2005
  9. steve

    Guest

    Jo Cloe wrote:
    > No proof, but it won't surprise me if certain ISPs start blocking
    > ports required for SIP. Time will tell.....
    >
    > On 9 Mar 2005 14:57:37 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > >I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about the respective

    VoIP
    > >providers having service outages. As far as I know, my SunRocket

    has
    > >been alright. CallVantage, Lingo, and Vonage have all had recent
    > >outages. Does anyone know why all the sudden the rash of service
    > >problems?

    Didn't a company get in trouble for this recently? Wasn't someone
    blocking Vonage's service? I thought whoever it was ended up being
    fined something like $15k.
    , Mar 10, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    says...

    > > >been alright. CallVantage, Lingo, and Vonage have all had recent
    > > >outages. Does anyone know why all the sudden the rash of service
    > > >problems?

    > Didn't a company get in trouble for this recently? Wasn't someone
    > blocking Vonage's service? I thought whoever it was ended up being
    > fined something like $15k.

    Exactly. Mason River Communications, a North Carolina ISP _and_telco_,
    was fined $15 by the FCC as part of a consent decree, wherein they agree
    to stop blocking VOIP traffic. Here's a link to the story:
    http://informationweek.smallbizpipeline.com/60405214
    Rusty Shackleford, Mar 10, 2005
  11. steve

    sTj Guest

    What you will find is that a lot of ISP's are routing traffic that is
    not specific to their own VoIP service. I've seen countless incidents
    where Comcast, Cox, Adelphia, TimeWarner, etc have been sending all
    client traffic through a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address before it ever hits a
    public domain. I'm not entirely sure of the implications, but
    essentially the ISP could make SIP miserable for everyone else but
    themselves (SIP is only happy when there is a clean connection between
    points A and B).

    I know with the Lingo outage there were a number of attributing factors:
    a) a set of servers were being moved to a new location
    b) a third party routing server was on the fritz
    c) a new firmware to the Azatel and UTStarcom devices
    d) the provisioning server was basically denying inbound traffic

    I'd heard that Vonage was down as well, but I'm sure that it was purely
    coincidence. ISP's haven't gotten to the point of out-right blocking
    yet. I don't think they ever will either, unless they've got nothing
    left to lose (ie. Adelphia and their Chapter 11 woes.)

    sTj, Mar 11, 2005