Call phone photo file size maximum

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve B, Feb 14, 2013.

  1. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    My first digital was an Epson, and looked for all the world like any cheap
    Kodak box camera. It was around $600, and it was 480 x 640, or something
    close. Then I got an Olympus 1.3 mp AF point and shoot. Thought that was
    big. Then a 5.1, which is where I'm at now.

    My point: Is there a maximum file size for cell phone photos? I have seen
    the metamorphosis, and now, I think there's cell phones out there with a lot
    more than even my scrawny 1.3mp, which, btw, took some really nice pictures
    for what it was, and lasted until SWMBO caused it to have a fatal encounter
    with sidewalk concrete.

    And the evolution of memory cards.

    Why, I remember when they sold 8 mb memory cards...............

    Oh, wait. It wasn't that long ago, actually.

    What will the cell phone cameras max out at and why?

    Steve
    Steve B, Feb 14, 2013

  2. Steve B

    DanP Guest

    On Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:54:45 AM UTC, Steve B wrote:
    > My first digital was an Epson, and looked for all the world like any cheap
    >
    > Kodak box camera. It was around $600, and it was 480 x 640, or something
    >
    > close. Then I got an Olympus 1.3 mp AF point and shoot. Thought that was
    >
    > big. Then a 5.1, which is where I'm at now.
    >

    > My point: Is there a maximum file size for cell phone photos? I have seen
    > the metamorphosis, and now, I think there's cell phones out there with a lot
    > more than even my scrawny 1.3mp, which, btw, took some really nice pictures
    > for what it was, and lasted until SWMBO caused it to have a fatal encounter
    > with sidewalk concrete.

    If you got the money they have the goods. Is 41 Mpx enough for you? http://www.petapixel.com/2012/02/27...-changing-41-megapixel-pureview-camera-phone/

    I hate buzzwords like "game changing". And I find high Mpx numbers quite pointless, especially with small sensors. My DSLR camera has only 15 Mpx but I use lower pixel size, keep it sane.

    DanP
    DanP, Feb 14, 2013

  3. Steve B

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/14/2013 5:15 AM, DanP wrote:
    > On Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:54:45 AM UTC, Steve B wrote:
    >> My first digital was an Epson, and looked for all the world like any cheap
    >>
    >> Kodak box camera. It was around $600, and it was 480 x 640, or something
    >>
    >> close. Then I got an Olympus 1.3 mp AF point and shoot. Thought that was
    >>
    >> big. Then a 5.1, which is where I'm at now.
    >>

    >> My point: Is there a maximum file size for cell phone photos? I have seen
    >> the metamorphosis, and now, I think there's cell phones out there with a lot
    >> more than even my scrawny 1.3mp, which, btw, took some really nice pictures
    >> for what it was, and lasted until SWMBO caused it to have a fatal encounter
    >> with sidewalk concrete.

    > If you got the money they have the goods. Is 41 Mpx enough for you? http://www.petapixel.com/2012/02/27...-changing-41-megapixel-pureview-camera-phone/
    >
    > I hate buzzwords like "game changing". And I find high Mpx numbers quite pointless, especially with small sensors. My DSLR camera has only 15 Mpx but I use lower pixel size, keep it sane.

    The following quite from the article sums things up, More isn't always
    better.

    "...The phone also allows you to capture 5-megapixel images by
    condensing every seven pixels into one, which dramatically reduces noise
    and improves image quality...."

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 14, 2013