    anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
    box directly on the internet?

    Thanks, Jerry
    Jerry, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Jerry

    XPD Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
    > Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
    > activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
    > but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
    > see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
    > server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
    > anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
    > box directly on the internet?
    >
    > Thanks, Jerry

    Check exactly what ports it requires and make sure you arent blocking them I
    guess.... Ive got COD as well but havent tried online as yet.
    XPD, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:22:16 +1300, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >> My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
    >> Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
    >> activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
    >> but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
    >> see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
    >> server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
    >> anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
    >> box directly on the internet?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Jerry

    >Check exactly what ports it requires and make sure you arent blocking them I
    >guess.... Ive got COD as well but havent tried online as yet.

    I don't have any ports blocked
    Jerry, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Jerry

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
    > Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
    > activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
    > but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
    > see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
    > server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
    > anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
    > box directly on the internet?
    >
    > Thanks, Jerry

    Although it is a bitch to work with you can map the port you are using
    on your client pc to the server (from the server) and then COD wont know
    the difference its called pinholing there is a kernal module loded up on
    start up but disabled in the firewall rules for quake this may be of
    some help the third option is bitch to the software devoloper as with
    adsl and the like most places will be firewalled and ipmasq'ed soon as
    many people take advantage of many computers using the net....:)

    there was some helpful help on this matter on kazzalite on the topic of
    using kazza behind a router not that I actualy use kazzalight :)

    Robert
    RecyclerMan, Dec 25, 2003
  5. Jerry

    BackToNormal Guest

    Jerry <> wrote:

    > My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
    > Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
    > activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
    > but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
    > see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
    > server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
    > anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
    > box directly on the internet?
    >
    > Thanks, Jerry

    I run it on a 56k modem. Try the xtra servers?
    Cheers
    Dane

    --
    "People do not make decisions on facts, rather,
    how they feel about the facts" Robert Consedine
    BackToNormal, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 19:59:27 +1300, Jerry
    <> wrote:

    >My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
    >Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
    >activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
    >but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
    >see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
    >server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
    >anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
    >box directly on the internet?
    >
    >Thanks, Jerry

    Some time ago I had Zone Alarm on this machine, I never unstalled it,
    but ages ago took it out of the start up. If I start Zone Alarm
    before running COD in connects just fine. Got the kid all happy now,
    but does anyone know WTF is happening here? I wouldn't have thought
    turning a firewall ON would solve the problem. Whatever works I
    guess...

    Jerry
    Jerry, Dec 26, 2003
  7. Jerry

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 19:59:27 +1300, Jerry wrote:

    > My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
    > Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
    > activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
    > but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
    > see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
    > server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
    > anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
    > box directly on the internet?
    >
    > Thanks, Jerry

    works fine for me through a router, the trick is to use The All Seeing Eye
    and launch games from there, rather than using the in-game browser.
    -[Myth]-, Dec 26, 2003