Call Management

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by 77002, Sep 28, 2012.

  1. 77002

    77002 Guest

    I need some recommendations please, having reached the point where I
    need to control incoming voice calls.

    Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists (never
    allow caller throught), and whitelists (always allow call). I use
    Vonage, and I suspect tthat heir caller id standard is the Bellcore
    one rather than the UK BT one.

    Also, does anyone still make an answering machimg which will allow me
    to listen to the caller's voice before taking the call?

    Information appreciated.
    77002, Sep 28, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. 77002

    Davey Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
    77002 <> wrote:

    > I need some recommendations please, having reached the point where I
    > need to control incoming voice calls.
    >
    > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists (never
    > allow caller throught), and whitelists (always allow call). I use
    > Vonage, and I suspect tthat heir caller id standard is the Bellcore
    > one rather than the UK BT one.
    >
    > Also, does anyone still make an answering machimg which will allow me
    > to listen to the caller's voice before taking the call?
    >
    > Information appreciated.


    My Panasonic DECT 'phone allows me to hear the caller's voice as it
    starts to record, I can then pick up a handset if I want.
    --
    Davey.
    Davey, Sep 28, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. 77002

    e27002 Guest

    On 28 Sep, 06:44, Davey <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
    >
    > 77002 <> wrote:
    > > I need some recommendations please, having reached the point where I
    > > need to control incoming voice calls.

    >
    > > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists (never
    > > allow caller throught), and whitelists (always allow call).  I use
    > > Vonage, and I suspect tthat heir caller id standard is the Bellcore
    > > one rather than the UK BT one.

    >
    > > Also, does anyone still make an answering machimg which will allow me
    > > to listen to the caller's voice before taking the call?

    >
    > > Information appreciated.

    >
    > My Panasonic DECT 'phone allows me to hear the caller's voice as it
    > starts to record, I can then pick up a handset if I want.


    Thank you, that helps. Which Panasonic model do you use?

    Has anyone had experience of Siemens DECT with answering machines?
    e27002, Oct 2, 2012
    #3
  4. 77002

    Davey Guest

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 03:17:18 -0700 (PDT)
    e27002 <> wrote:

    > On 28 Sep, 06:44, Davey <> wrote:
    > > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
    > >
    > > 77002 <> wrote:
    > > > I need some recommendations please, having reached the point
    > > > where I need to control incoming voice calls.

    > >
    > > > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists
    > > > (never allow caller throught), and whitelists (always allow
    > > > call).  I use Vonage, and I suspect tthat heir caller id standard
    > > > is the Bellcore one rather than the UK BT one.

    > >
    > > > Also, does anyone still make an answering machimg which will
    > > > allow me to listen to the caller's voice before taking the call?

    > >
    > > > Information appreciated.

    > >
    > > My Panasonic DECT 'phone allows me to hear the caller's voice as it
    > > starts to record, I can then pick up a handset if I want.

    >
    > Thank you, that helps. Which Panasonic model do you use?
    >
    > Has anyone had experience of Siemens DECT with answering machines?
    >


    Mine is a KX-TG8522E. I must admit that I am surprised that there are
    some 'phones that don't let you do that, as far as I know, that has
    been standard for years.
    Panasonic DECT 'phones, if not all DECT 'phones, also have programmable
    'Ignore' lists. I used to get calls from a common PPI-reclaiming
    company, so programming it into the 'phone meant I never knew again if
    they called.
    --
    Davey.
    Davey, Oct 2, 2012
    #4
  5. 77002

    e27002 Guest

    On 2 Oct, 12:35, Davey <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 03:17:18 -0700 (PDT)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > e27002 <> wrote:
    > > On 28 Sep, 06:44, Davey <> wrote:
    > > > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

    >
    > > > 77002 <> wrote:
    > > > > I need some recommendations please, having reached the point
    > > > > where I need to control incoming voice calls.

    >
    > > > > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists
    > > > > (never allow caller throught), and whitelists (always allow
    > > > > call).  I use Vonage, and I suspect tthat heir caller id standard
    > > > > is the Bellcore one rather than the UK BT one.

    >
    > > > > Also, does anyone still make an answering machimg which will
    > > > > allow me to listen to the caller's voice before taking the call?

    >
    > > > > Information appreciated.

    >
    > > > My Panasonic DECT 'phone allows me to hear the caller's voice as it
    > > > starts to record, I can then pick up a handset if I want.

    >
    > > Thank you, that helps.  Which Panasonic model do you use?

    >
    > > Has anyone had experience of Siemens DECT with answering machines?

    >
    > Mine is a KX-TG8522E. I must admit that I am surprised that there are
    > some 'phones that don't let you do that, as far as I know, that has
    > been standard for years.
    > Panasonic DECT 'phones, if not all DECT 'phones, also have programmable
    > 'Ignore' lists. I used to get calls from a common PPI-reclaiming
    > company, so programming it into the 'phone meant I never knew again if
    > they called.


    Thanks again Davey, that is really useful to know. I was thinking
    about buying a separate device to handle the ignore function.
    e27002, Oct 3, 2012
    #5
  6. 77002

    e27002 Guest

    On 2 Oct, 17:03, wrote:
    > 77002 wrote:
    > > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists

    >
    > www.truecall.co.ukwww.cprcallblocker.com
    > I have the latter. Both devices have been discussed in this group.


    It looks very good. It is the sort of device that I need if a DECT
    'phone will not block caller IDs. My concern is that it works based
    on BT's caller ID standard. I very much suspect that my ATA, a Vonage
    VDV21-VU puts out the Bellcore standard Caller ID.
    >
    > I have a Siemens Gigaset DECT with answering machine. I'm happy with it. I got it from:www.ligo.co.uk
    > They were very helpful.
    > I never use the answering machine part of it so can't comment on that part of it.


    For years I have been more than happy with voicemail. However, I am
    starting need the ability to monitor calls before picking up the
    'phone.

    Thanks for the information.
    e27002, Oct 3, 2012
    #6
  7. 77002

    e27002 Guest

    On 3 Oct, 00:51, "Michael R N Dolbear" <> wrote:
    > wrote
    >
    > > 77002 wrote:
    > > > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists

    >
    > >www.truecall.co.uk
    > >www.cprcallblocker.com
    > > I have the latter. Both devices have been discussed in this group.

    >
    > The truecall box can be configured for either BT or cable phone CLID.
    >

    Many thanks. That is an extremely useful piece of information.
    e27002, Oct 3, 2012
    #7
  8. 77002

    Davey Guest

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 09:42:45 -0700 (PDT)
    e27002 <> wrote:

    > On 2 Oct, 12:35, Davey <> wrote:
    > > On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 03:17:18 -0700 (PDT)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > e27002 <> wrote:
    > > > On 28 Sep, 06:44, Davey <> wrote:
    > > > > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

    > >
    > > > > 77002 <> wrote:
    > > > > > I need some recommendations please, having reached the point
    > > > > > where I need to control incoming voice calls.

    > >
    > > > > > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists
    > > > > > (never allow caller throught), and whitelists (always allow
    > > > > > call).  I use Vonage, and I suspect tthat heir caller id
    > > > > > standard is the Bellcore one rather than the UK BT one.

    > >
    > > > > > Also, does anyone still make an answering machimg which will
    > > > > > allow me to listen to the caller's voice before taking the
    > > > > > call?

    > >
    > > > > > Information appreciated.

    > >
    > > > > My Panasonic DECT 'phone allows me to hear the caller's voice
    > > > > as it starts to record, I can then pick up a handset if I want.

    > >
    > > > Thank you, that helps.  Which Panasonic model do you use?

    > >
    > > > Has anyone had experience of Siemens DECT with answering machines?

    > >
    > > Mine is a KX-TG8522E. I must admit that I am surprised that there
    > > are some 'phones that don't let you do that, as far as I know, that
    > > has been standard for years.
    > > Panasonic DECT 'phones, if not all DECT 'phones, also have
    > > programmable 'Ignore' lists. I used to get calls from a common
    > > PPI-reclaiming company, so programming it into the 'phone meant I
    > > never knew again if they called.

    >
    > Thanks again Davey, that is really useful to know. I was thinking
    > about buying a separate device to handle the ignore function.
    >

    I believe that I saw the later calls in the Caller list, but they seem
    to have stopped now.

    Regarding the 'Monitor' function:
    I did a bit of playing around with it today. If you
    monitor a caller responding to the answering m/c outgoing message, and
    then pick up the handset, it will indeed let you continue the call, but
    it also continues to record the call. What I don't know is:
    Does the Record time-out after specified time, and if so,
    does the call continue unaffected?
    Is it possible to stop the recording by just hitting the 'Answering
    Machine' button on the base station?
    If you are interested and will use the information, I can
    pursue these items.
    --
    Davey.
    Davey, Oct 3, 2012
    #8
  9. In uk.telecom.voip e27002 <> wrote:
    > Thanks again Davey, that is really useful to know. I was thinking
    > about buying a separate device to handle the ignore function.


    FWIW you're on VOIP where this sort of thing should be easy. I have no idea
    if Vonage offer that, but other VSPs do. The only snag is you don't have a
    handy 'press here to blackhole' button on your phone, to blacklist people
    you have to add their number to your web account.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Oct 3, 2012
    #9
  10. 77002

    e27002 Guest

    On 3 Oct, 19:25, Davey <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 09:42:45 -0700 (PDT)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > e27002 <> wrote:
    > > On 2 Oct, 12:35, Davey <> wrote:
    > > > On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 03:17:18 -0700 (PDT)

    >
    > > > e27002 <> wrote:
    > > > > On 28 Sep, 06:44, Davey <> wrote:
    > > > > > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

    >
    > > > > > 77002 <> wrote:
    > > > > > > I need some recommendations please, having reached the point
    > > > > > > where I need to control incoming voice calls.

    >
    > > > > > > Is there still a device that will allow me to keep blacklists
    > > > > > > (never allow caller throught), and whitelists (always allow
    > > > > > > call).  I use Vonage, and I suspect tthat heir caller id
    > > > > > > standard is the Bellcore one rather than the UK BT one.

    >
    > > > > > > Also, does anyone still make an answering machimg which will
    > > > > > > allow me to listen to the caller's voice before taking the
    > > > > > > call?

    >
    > > > > > > Information appreciated.

    >
    > > > > > My Panasonic DECT 'phone allows me to hear the caller's voice
    > > > > > as it starts to record, I can then pick up a handset if I want.

    >
    > > > > Thank you, that helps.  Which Panasonic model do you use?

    >
    > > > > Has anyone had experience of Siemens DECT with answering machines?

    >
    > > > Mine is a KX-TG8522E. I must admit that I am surprised that there
    > > > are some 'phones that don't let you do that, as far as I know, that
    > > > has been standard for years.
    > > > Panasonic DECT 'phones, if not all DECT 'phones, also have
    > > > programmable 'Ignore' lists. I used to get calls from a common
    > > > PPI-reclaiming company, so programming it into the 'phone meant I
    > > > never knew again if they called.

    >
    > > Thanks again Davey, that is really useful to know.  I was thinking
    > > about buying a separate device to handle the ignore function.

    >
    > I believe that I saw the later calls in the Caller list, but they seem
    > to have stopped now.
    >
    > Regarding the 'Monitor' function:
    > I did a bit of playing around with it today. If you
    > monitor a caller responding to the answering m/c outgoing message, and
    > then pick up the handset, it will indeed let you continue the call, but
    > it also continues to record the call. What I don't know is:
    > Does the Record time-out after specified time, and if so,
    > does the call continue unaffected?
    > Is it possible to stop the recording by just hitting the 'Answering
    > Machine' button on the base station?
    > If you are interested and will use the information, I can
    > pursue these items.
    > --
    > Davey.


    Thanks Davey. I have enough to work with. It is time to formulate a
    decision.
    e27002, Oct 4, 2012
    #10
  11. 77002

    e27002 Guest

    On 3 Oct, 23:17, Theo Markettos <>
    wrote:
    > In uk.telecom.voip e27002 <> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks again Davey, that is really useful to know.  I was thinking
    > > about buying a separate device to handle the ignore function.

    >
    > FWIW you're on VOIP where this sort of thing should be easy.  I have noidea
    > if Vonage offer that, but other VSPs do.  The only snag is you don't have a
    > handy 'press here to blackhole' button on your phone, to blacklist people
    > you have to add their number to your web account.
    >

    Unfortunately, Vonage do not provide call management. There is no
    blacklist function. I have tried other VoIP providers. Vonage has
    been consistently reliable. They also provide international virtual
    numbers. That is essential to me.
    e27002, Oct 4, 2012
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Martin Bilgrav
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    950
    Martin Bilgrav
    Dec 20, 2003
  2. nazgulero

    Call Manager limit call duration

    nazgulero, Oct 25, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    894
    nazgulero
    Oct 25, 2005
  3. jt
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    4,930
    Inco Warren
    Jan 30, 2005
  4. M
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    502
  5. maruffaiz
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    868
    maruffaiz
    Dec 11, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page