    comes to the disconnection signaling i am mentioning.

    Whats other peoples views on all this?

    Sean!
    Sean, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Sean

    Jono Guest

    Sean explained on 12/06/2006 :
    > Okay. Well, in the UK if you call from a BT line to a BT line and the person
    > you call puts down their phone i believe it does not disconnect the caller
    > for around 10 minutes?
    >
    > I've used many VoIP providers, and some also work in this way, and some also
    > work like mobiles do. If you call someone and they hang up, it disconnects
    > you.
    >
    > It's annoying that many providers work in the same way as BT, as when you use
    > asterisk for call back, you need the VoIP provider you use to terminate calls
    > when the phone being called hangs up.
    >
    > I've heard Ofcom are soon to put in a regulation which VoIP companies must
    > follow, saying they must operate in the same way as BT when it comes to the
    > disconnection signaling i am mentioning.
    >
    > Whats other peoples views on all this?
    >
    > Sean!

    I rarely use callback to a landline, however, I have experienced what
    you describe, using voipstunt as the trunk. It is most annoying.

    It would help if you could instruct Asterisk to hang up the call by way
    of a keypress, although this may make using IVRs you might encounter
    using you callback unusable.

    Isn't there a way you could make asterisk disconnect after perhaps 30
    seconds of silence? Does Asterisk even have silence detection?
    Jono, Jun 12, 2006

  3. Sean wrote:
    > Okay. Well, in the UK if you call from a BT line to a BT line and the
    > person you call puts down their phone i believe it does not disconnect
    > the caller for around 10 minutes?

    It's not as long as ten minutes, I have vague recollection of two
    minutes from when I actually did some tests, but that was over ten years
    ago.

    --
    Dave
    mail da (without the space)
    Dave {Reply Address In.sig}, Jun 12, 2006
  4. Sean

    Ken Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:30:34 +0000, "Dave {Reply Address In.sig}"
    <"noone$$"@llondel.org> wrote:

    >Sean wrote:
    >> Okay. Well, in the UK if you call from a BT line to a BT line and the
    >> person you call puts down their phone i believe it does not disconnect
    >> the caller for around 10 minutes?
    >>

    >It's not as long as ten minutes, I have vague recollection of two
    >minutes from when I actually did some tests, but that was over ten years
    >ago.

    SIN 351 says it's between two and three minutes. As others have
    pointed out in similar threads recently over on uk.telecom you can get
    out of it on the PSTN (if you're the called party) by pressing Recall
    then hanging up. You will then be called back by the network. Pick up
    the handset and replace it. You can now dial out again.
    Ken, Jun 13, 2006