Call centers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charlie Self, May 31, 2005.

  1. Charlie Self

    Charlie Self Guest

    Is this another case of "blame anyone but yourself"?

    "'When you move jobs away from a country, there's going to be a lot of
    pent-up frustration which gets let out on Indian workers,' he said.

    As staff turnover is a major problem, with some companies battling an
    annual departure rate of 60-70 per cent, organisations are taking
    radical steps to help staff to deal with abuse. In recent months some
    firms have decided to provide psychological support to their workers.
    Sanjay Salooja's Delhi-based firm, Empower, has 20 trained counsellors
    who tour the city's largest call centres, providing support to harassed
    employees.

    'Most employees are very young and don't have the skills to allow them
    to cope with this kind of abuse,' he said. Workers are already feeling
    the stress of having to work through the night and are under extreme
    pressure to meet productivity targets. 'They are vulnerable anyway, and
    an abusive call really knocks confidence. They don't want to take
    another call for an hour or two, and their performance is impacted.'

    The idea of consulting therapists remains taboo in much of Indian
    society, but the stigma is waning. 'Our research shows that about 50
    per cent of workers would like the chance to receive counselling,'
    Deepal Raheja, one of the programme's psychiatrists, said.

    The therapists try to help staff realise that the abuse is not personal
    and to put things in perspective, he said. 'Somebody I counselled was
    very upset after a British customer had asked for an address near
    Trafalgar Square and he had to admit he didn't know where Trafalgar
    Square was. His customer became very abusive, and the incident really
    dented his self-esteem,' he said.

    Some companies still specify staff must anglicise their names, adopting
    forenames such as Mary and John, to try to stave off resentment."

    Excerpted from The Observer.

    Personal experience: my two tours with call service types included one
    person I think was Indian who absolutely insisted I had to format my
    hard drive to repair a CD-R drive that was out of order. Replacing the
    CD burner fixed the problem. A week wasted because of incompetent
    advice, with, now about 15 problem free months.

    Another was similar, wanting me to completely strip a program and
    re-install it according to his instructions, probably a day's work,
    after two days getting that far. Instead, I did the XP program removal
    and re-installed and have had 13 problem free months.

    The accent made me think these people were Indian or Pakistani. I was
    never abusive, but I let them know I was unhappy. I've got some hearing
    loss, so an unfamiliar accent coming from someone who knows they are
    laying a line of bullshit is not something I enjoy.

    Is it possible that the abuse they DO get is not really the customer's
    fault, but the fault of their own poor performance and training? Would
    proper training in more general English idioms and some training in
    removing the lilt help? Would some training in the tech material
    they're trying to use be of help?

    Ah, hell now. Get a shrink in to help them adjust to being cussed out
    as incompetent so you can call the frustrated customer a racist.

    Charlie Self, May 31, 2005

  2. Charlie Self

    Guest

    India's "offshoring" boom is doomed to end - fast. The cost of 60%+
    annual employee turnover just isn't affordable to any major business -
    as recruiting and training new workers costs a lot. These problems and
    costs will only increase as word gets around India that call-center
    jobs suck.
    At some - not distant - point, "offshoring" firms will notice that
    China not only has even-cheaper labor, but that much of it is PRISON
    labor in no place to quit. Then the jobs will "offshore" again - to
    China.

    Save on gas! Shop the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    , May 31, 2005

  3. Charlie Self

    carrigman Guest

    Very interesting I'm sure but what the f...has it to do with digital
    photography?

    Carrigma

    carrigman, May 31, 2005
  4. Charlie Self

    Charlie Self Guest

    carrigman wrote:
    > Very interesting I'm sure but what the f...has it to do with digital
    > photography?

    If you have problems uploading, or downloading, your photos, youmay
    well discover just what it has to do with digital photography.

    Charlie Self, May 31, 2005
  5. Charlie Self

    Roy Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message

    > carrigman wrote:
    >> Very interesting I'm sure but what the f...has it to do with digital
    >> photography?
    >>

    > If you have problems uploading, or downloading, your photos, youmay
    > well discover just what it has to do with digital photography.

    Rubbish and more rubbish.

    If I have problems with my equipment or software, the last place I would go
    for help would be to a "Customer Care" helpline.

    The first place I would look for help would be to Photo Newsgroups, the
    subscribers actually do know what they are talking about, and are not just
    reading information which appears on a computer screen.

    Call centres Suck, and it does not matter where they are located, nor is it
    usually the fault of the Staff.

    Roy G

    Roy, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Charlie Self

    Marvin Guest

    Roy wrote:
    > "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>carrigman wrote:
    >>
    >>>Very interesting I'm sure but what the f...has it to do with digital
    >>>photography?
    >>>

    >>If you have problems uploading, or downloading, your photos, youmay
    >>well discover just what it has to do with digital photography.
    >>

    > Rubbish and more rubbish.
    >
    > If I have problems with my equipment or software, the last place I would go
    > for help would be to a "Customer Care" helpline.
    >
    > The first place I would look for help would be to Photo Newsgroups, the
    > subscribers actually do know what they are talking about, and are not just
    > reading information which appears on a computer screen.
    >
    > Call centres Suck, and it does not matter where they are located, nor is it
    > usually the fault of the Staff.
    >
    > Roy G

    I agree. It isn'tt the fault of the perosn at the call center. He or she is working from
    a script - the same one whether the call cneter is in India or Indiana. The advice oyu
    get from a Web site is often no better - it is the same script that is being used at the
    call center. It is like finding a clerk at CompUSA who knows much about the stuff he is
    selling.

    Marvin, Jun 1, 2005