Calibrating monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ransley, Nov 23, 2009.

  1. ransley

    ransley Guest

    I have a good Lcd, what system is recomended, I see several products
    of different price ranges, are cheap ones inferior or lacking.
    ransley, Nov 23, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ransley

    Richard Guest

    "ransley" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a good Lcd, what system is recomended, I see several products
    > of different price ranges, are cheap ones inferior or lacking.


    Can only speak for the one I use:
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788
    I am satisfied with the colours between my CRT and two notebooks after using
    it.

    Richard
    Richard, Nov 23, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ransley

    ransley Guest

    On Nov 23, 11:02 am, "igotsaurus" <> wrote:
    > It is easy to calibrate for color, difficult to calibrate for accurate
    > WYSIWYG printing. Any device, from the Huey on up the price chain, will
    > calibrate color quite accurately.
    >
    > The problem with calibrating LCD monitors is that except for high end
    > graphics panels it is very difficult to tone down screen brightness so that
    > you can still adequately see shadow detail but prints will match the screen
    > in terms of brightness values., the dreaded dark print conundrum. If your
    > LCD is too bright, as 99% of them are, paradoxically your color managed
    > prints will be way too dark.
    >
    > I suggest that if you use a Spyder or other equivalent that allows you to
    > calibrate for a target brightness level you aim for a screen brightness less
    > than 100 by gradually turning down brightness and contrast, the latter being
    > the more powerful controller of actual LCD screen brightness. You have to
    > ignore the misleading instructions about visually evaluating the black and
    > gray ramps in the calibration program and focus on overall luminance. LED
    > peripherally back lit panels may well show central dimming at these
    > illumination levels and may be worse for accurate printing than less costly
    > fluorescent backlit panels. Your monitor should also allow RGB adjustments.
    >
    > It is best to calibrate and print off a screen in a moderately lit
    > environment, understanding that ambient lighting may also fool your eyes
    > when you evaluate your prints. If you are anal compulsive you will be
    > creating a hood for your monitor as well.


    My issue is my prints are to light, I must darken them so its hard to
    see them on screen, when I brighten the screen surrounding white areas
    of the program are hard on my eyes they are so bright. My color is
    good.
    ransley, Nov 23, 2009
    #3
  4. ransley

    Bob Williams Guest

    ransley wrote:
    > On Nov 23, 11:02 am, "igotsaurus" <> wrote:
    >> It is easy to calibrate for color, difficult to calibrate for accurate
    >> WYSIWYG printing. Any device, from the Huey on up the price chain, will
    >> calibrate color quite accurately.
    >>
    >> The problem with calibrating LCD monitors is that except for high end
    >> graphics panels it is very difficult to tone down screen brightness so that
    >> you can still adequately see shadow detail but prints will match the screen
    >> in terms of brightness values., the dreaded dark print conundrum. If your
    >> LCD is too bright, as 99% of them are, paradoxically your color managed
    >> prints will be way too dark.
    >>
    >> I suggest that if you use a Spyder or other equivalent that allows you to
    >> calibrate for a target brightness level you aim for a screen brightness less
    >> than 100 by gradually turning down brightness and contrast, the latter being
    >> the more powerful controller of actual LCD screen brightness. You have to
    >> ignore the misleading instructions about visually evaluating the black and
    >> gray ramps in the calibration program and focus on overall luminance. LED
    >> peripherally back lit panels may well show central dimming at these
    >> illumination levels and may be worse for accurate printing than less costly
    >> fluorescent backlit panels. Your monitor should also allow RGB adjustments.
    >>
    >> It is best to calibrate and print off a screen in a moderately lit
    >> environment, understanding that ambient lighting may also fool your eyes
    >> when you evaluate your prints. If you are anal compulsive you will be
    >> creating a hood for your monitor as well.

    >
    > My issue is my prints are to light, I must darken them so its hard to
    > see them on screen, when I brighten the screen surrounding white areas
    > of the program are hard on my eyes they are so bright. My color is
    > good.


    Perhaps you can change the darkness setting on your printer to help with
    that problem.
    Bob
    Bob Williams, Nov 23, 2009
    #4
  5. ransley

    ransley Guest

    On Nov 23, 4:39 pm, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    > ransley wrote:
    > > On Nov 23, 11:02 am, "igotsaurus" <> wrote:
    > >> It is easy to calibrate for color, difficult to calibrate for accurate
    > >> WYSIWYG printing. Any device, from the Huey on up the price chain, will
    > >> calibrate color quite accurately.

    >
    > >> The problem with calibrating LCD monitors is that except for high end
    > >> graphics panels it is very difficult to tone down screen brightness so that
    > >> you can still adequately see shadow detail but prints will match the screen
    > >> in terms of brightness values., the dreaded dark print conundrum. If your
    > >> LCD is too bright, as 99% of them are, paradoxically your color managed
    > >> prints will be way too dark.

    >
    > >> I suggest that if you use a Spyder or other equivalent that allows you to
    > >> calibrate for a target brightness level you aim for a screen brightness less
    > >> than 100 by gradually turning down brightness and contrast, the latter being
    > >> the more powerful controller of actual LCD screen brightness. You have to
    > >> ignore the misleading instructions about visually evaluating the black and
    > >> gray ramps in the calibration program and focus on overall luminance. LED
    > >> peripherally back lit panels may well show central dimming at these
    > >> illumination levels and may be worse for accurate printing than less costly
    > >> fluorescent backlit panels. Your monitor should also allow RGB adjustments.

    >
    > >> It is best to calibrate and print off a screen in a moderately lit
    > >> environment, understanding that ambient lighting may also fool your eyes
    > >> when you evaluate your prints. If you are anal compulsive you will be
    > >> creating a hood for your monitor as well.

    >
    > > My issue is my prints are to light, I must darken them so its hard to
    > > see them on screen, when I brighten the screen surrounding white areas
    > > of the program are hard on my eyes they are so bright. My color is
    > > good.

    >
    > Perhaps you can change the darkness setting on your printer to help with
    > that problem.
    > Bob- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I wonder if my problem is that abnormal, a Canon mp 950 printer with
    new drivers, dell hardware, Canon, Adobe and Corel software. It should
    be something simple, I hate tech support sessions.
    ransley, Nov 24, 2009
    #5
  6. "ransley" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a good Lcd, what system is recomended, I see several products
    > of different price ranges, are cheap ones inferior or lacking.



    A good greyscale from a monitor calibration website is all I have ever used
    and needed, it's free too. If you want to do color matching then find a good
    photo that has accurate colors and match the monitor to that.
    Don Lope de Aguirre, Nov 24, 2009
    #6
  7. ransley

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:08:02 -0800 (PST), ransley
    <> wrote:

    >On Nov 23, 4:39 pm, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >> ransley wrote:
    >> > On Nov 23, 11:02 am, "igotsaurus" <> wrote:
    >> >> It is easy to calibrate for color, difficult to calibrate for accurate
    >> >> WYSIWYG printing. Any device, from the Huey on up the price chain, will
    >> >> calibrate color quite accurately.

    >>
    >> >> The problem with calibrating LCD monitors is that except for high end
    >> >> graphics panels it is very difficult to tone down screen brightness so that
    >> >> you can still adequately see shadow detail but prints will match the screen
    >> >> in terms of brightness values., the dreaded dark print conundrum. If your
    >> >> LCD is too bright, as 99% of them are, paradoxically your color managed
    >> >> prints will be way too dark.

    >>
    >> >> I suggest that if you use a Spyder or other equivalent that allows you to
    >> >> calibrate for a target brightness level you aim for a screen brightness less
    >> >> than 100 by gradually turning down brightness and contrast, the latter being
    >> >> the more powerful controller of actual LCD screen brightness. You have to
    >> >> ignore the misleading instructions about visually evaluating the black and
    >> >> gray ramps in the calibration program and focus on overall luminance. LED
    >> >> peripherally back lit panels may well show central dimming at these
    >> >> illumination levels and may be worse for accurate printing than less costly
    >> >> fluorescent backlit panels. Your monitor should also allow RGB adjustments.

    >>
    >> >> It is best to calibrate and print off a screen in a moderately lit
    >> >> environment, understanding that ambient lighting may also fool your eyes
    >> >> when you evaluate your prints. If you are anal compulsive you will be
    >> >> creating a hood for your monitor as well.

    >>
    >> > My issue is my prints are to light, I must darken them so its hard to
    >> > see them on screen, when I brighten the screen surrounding white areas
    >> > of the program are hard on my eyes they are so bright. My color is
    >> > good.

    >>
    >> Perhaps you can change the darkness setting on your printer to help with
    >> that problem.
    >> Bob- Hide quoted text -
    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    >I wonder if my problem is that abnormal, a Canon mp 950 printer with
    >new drivers, dell hardware, Canon, Adobe and Corel software. It should
    >be something simple, I hate tech support sessions.


    You seem to have the usual problem of properly calibrating your
    monitor and your printer. I suggest that if the printer is correctly
    set up, and if you are using the right profiles for the particular ink
    and paper then the problem is in your monitor.

    It sounds to me as though you have got it set up too bright.



    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Nov 24, 2009
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Greenberg

    what to do with web pictures after calibrating my monitor?

    Michael Greenberg, Aug 26, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    775
    journalist-north
    Aug 26, 2003
  2. Editor  www.nutritionsoftware.org

    After calibrating monitor what to do with .icm file in Photoshop?

    Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org, Nov 24, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    7,287
    Ray Murphy
    Nov 25, 2003
  3. Calibrating monitor and printer

    , Apr 28, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    334
    Bill Hilton
    Apr 28, 2005
  4. Richard Bornstein

    Calibrating monitor

    Richard Bornstein, May 3, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    385
    birdman
    May 3, 2005
  5. Calibrating New Monitor

    , Aug 5, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    370
    Stacey
    Aug 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page