    digital images. Can someone please help me with that?

    Best Regards!
    Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner, May 22, 2008

  2. Marc Wossner

    ransley Guest

    On May 22, 5:28 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    > Hi ng,
    >
    > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > the following formula:
    >
    > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)
    >
    > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?
    >
    > Best Regards!
    > Marc Wossner

    db is sound not what your eve sees, what is "this wedsite" for you id
    say tb, trollbell

    ransley, May 22, 2008

  3. Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner Guest

    On 22 Mai, 12:36, ransley <> wrote:
    > On May 22, 5:28 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi ng,

    > > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > > the following formula:

    > > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)

    > > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?

    > > Best Regards!
    > > Marc Wossner

    > db is sound not what your eve sees, what is "this wedsite" for you id
    > say tb, trollbell

    Yes, but "db" is also quite often used in electronic context as well
    so I thought id would be correct.
    If it isn`t, can you tell me the right way?

    Best regards!
    Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner, May 22, 2008
  4. Marc Wossner

    ransley Guest

    On May 22, 6:10 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    > On 22 Mai, 12:36, ransley <> wrote:
    >

    > > On May 22, 5:28 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:

    > > > Hi ng,

    > > > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > > > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > > > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > > > the following formula:

    > > > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)

    > > > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > > > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > > > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?

    > > > Best Regards!
    > > > Marc Wossner

    > > db is sound not what your eve sees, what is "this wedsite" for you id
    > > say tb, trollbell

    > Yes, but "db" is also quite often used in electronic context as well
    > so I thought id would be correct.
    > If it isn`t, can you tell me the right way?
    >
    > Best regards!
    > Marc Wossner- Hide quoted text -

    I went to www.dpreview.com and typed in a search of Decibel, and it is
    one measure used. But db was developed as a rating of sound. I have
    no idea how its transfered to a visual rating, or number, if it even
    is as sound can be easily rated in S/N and db numbers, which are easy
    to understand and industry accepted. I dont see any db ratings at
    dpreview, just visual detail charts and descriptions. It would make
    buying equipment easy if numbered ratings on a large known scale were
    assigned to cameras and lenses as is done in audio equipment. Is it
    done with dvds on the video portion? It is done with sound ratings. To
    compare your camera find sites that reviewed it, what camera is it.

    ransley, May 22, 2008
  5. On May 22, 5:28 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    > Hi ng,
    >
    > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > the following formula:
    >
    > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)
    >
    > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?
    >
    > Best Regards!
    > Marc Wossner

    Unfortunately, the handling of logrithmic values is not the hardest
    part of the job. In order to really look at signal to noise, you need
    to make a very carefully controlled exposure, and look at lots of
    pixels in order to get a statistical value of each part (signal and
    noise). Also, there are a couple of types of snr definitions (large
    signal vs small signal snr).

    You should also be looking at a RAW file, since the jpeg compression
    affects snr of an image.

    the root mean square part is easy.

    Look at a large range of noise pixels, say at least 10. Compute the
    average. Then go back to the individual readings, and subtract the
    average from each. Then square the differences. Add together all
    these "squares". Now take the square root of the sum of the squares.
    Many calculators can do this part. In fact, some scientific and most
    statistical calculators can compute the RMS by entering a series of
    readings.

    Now you can convert your ratio into dbs.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, May 22, 2008
  6. John O'Flaherty wrote:
    []
    >> - 4096 for 12-bit or 16384 for 14-bit. This program will take the
    >> drudgery out of the calculations, if not out of getting the careful
    >> exposures.

    However, do be aware that a simple SNR calculation will tell you very
    little about the performance of the camera, unless you take the MTF into
    account. You could make a camera with a low high-frequency MTF which you
    have a very high SNR, but produce very blurry images. You really need to
    measure the SNR for a known input at a known spatial frequency, and then
    weight that measurement according to the perception characteristics of the
    viewer.....

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 22, 2008
  7. Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner Guest

    Thanks a lot to all of you for your valuable input!
    But I guess the calculation of the snr for a given camera would only
    be the first step.
    At least for high signal levels there should also be a scale of a
    theoretical minimum noise to judge it against.
    Could that be photon noise, because it´s unavoidable? And if so, what
    values would be necessary to construct such a model?

    Best regards!
    Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner, May 23, 2008
  8. Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner Guest

    On 22 Mai, 16:21, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <>
    wrote:
    > On May 22, 5:28 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi ng,

    > > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > > the following formula:

    > > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)

    > > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?

    > > Best Regards!
    > > Marc Wossner

    > Unfortunately, the handling of logrithmic values is not the hardest
    > part of the job. In order to really look at signal to noise, you need
    > to make a very carefully controlled exposure, and look at lots of
    > pixels in order to get a statistical value of each part (signal and
    > noise).  Also, there are a couple of types of snr definitions (large
    > signal vs small signal snr).
    >
    > You should also be looking at a RAW file, since the jpeg compression
    > affects snr of an image.

    Can this effect be roughly quantified? This would be very helpful in
    the comparison of .raw files and scanned silver film. Or could it be
    overcome by using .tif for the scanned silver image?

    Best regards!
    Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner, May 23, 2008
  9. Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner Guest

    On 22 Mai, 19:01, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > John O'Flaherty wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > >> - 4096 for 12-bit or 16384 for 14-bit. This program will take the
    > >> drudgery out of the calculations, if not out of getting the careful
    > >> exposures.

    > However, do be aware that a simple SNR calculation will tell you very
    > little about the performance of the camera, unless you take the MTF into
    > account.  You could make a camera with a low high-frequency MTF which you
    > have a very high SNR, but produce very blurry images.  You really need to
    > measure the SNR for a known input at a known spatial frequency, and then
    > weight that measurement according to the perception characteristics of the
    > viewer.....

    This is what Norman Korens hypothesis about Shannons information
    theory does. He uses the equation C=W log2(SNR+1), that defines the
    capacity of a data channel, to define image quality (IQ) as IQ=W
    log2(SNR+1), where W is the image visual capacity in one dimension. He
    choose to use the product of MTF 50 and image sensor size for this
    value. Look at http://www.imatest.com/docs/shannon.html.

    Best regards!
    Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner, May 23, 2008
  10. Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    > On 22 Mai, 16:21, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <>
    > wrote:
    >> On May 22, 5:28 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi ng,

    >> > I?d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    >> > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    >> > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    >> > the following formula:

    >> > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)

    >> > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    >> > mean square" but don?t know how to deduce those values from simple
    >> > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?

    >> > Best Regards!
    >> > Marc Wossner

    >> Unfortunately, the handling of logrithmic values is not the hardest
    >> part of the job. In order to really look at signal to noise, you need
    >> to make a very carefully controlled exposure, and look at lots of
    >> pixels in order to get a statistical value of each part (signal and
    >> noise). ?Also, there are a couple of types of snr definitions (large
    >> signal vs small signal snr).
    >>
    >> You should also be looking at a RAW file, since the jpeg compression
    >> affects snr of an image.

    > Can this effect be roughly quantified? This would be very helpful in
    > the comparison of .raw files and scanned silver film. Or could it be
    > overcome by using .tif for the scanned silver image?

    In the case of audio we're talking about a signal which can be sampled
    from a single signal measuring device, i.e. a microphone. In that case
    signal to noise ratio has a simple and useful definition.

    An image is sampled by millions of sensors fed extremely different
    signals which have been imperfectly seperated by means of a sequence
    of sophisticated and complex optical devices. We therefore not only
    have the kind of signal to noise ratio in each sensor (pixel) of the
    same kind as an audio signal, each one of them different, but extra
    noise added in a very irregular manner by the imperfections of the
    optics.

    If you want to derive a single signal to noise ratio for the whole
    image from this complex plethora of widely variable SNRs then you're
    going to have to make quite a number of simplifying assumptions, and
    those will depend very specifically on what kind of purposes you want
    that single number for.

    So what are your purposes?

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, May 23, 2008
  11. On May 22, 12:01 pm, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > John O'Flaherty wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > >> - 4096 for 12-bit or 16384 for 14-bit. This program will take the
    > >> drudgery out of the calculations, if not out of getting the careful
    > >> exposures.

    > However, do be aware that a simple SNR calculation will tell you very
    > little about the performance of the camera, unless you take the MTF into
    > account. You could make a camera with a low high-frequency MTF which you
    > have a very high SNR, but produce very blurry images. You really need to
    > measure the SNR for a known input at a known spatial frequency, and then
    > weight that measurement according to the perception characteristics of the
    > viewer.....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    I'd say snr is equally important to MTF. In military electronic
    cameras the SNR and MTF were the two big performance issues we would
    analyze. A very sharp imagine system (high mtf) will still not give
    very good results with a poor snr. In fact, if the camera system has
    too low an snr, it becomes very hard to even measure the mtf properly.

    Fortunately, current digicams (at least visible light ones) seem to
    generally have pretty good snr. Not like the old thermal IR cameras
    we dealt with :)

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, May 23, 2008
  12. Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
    []
    > I'd say snr is equally important to MTF. In military electronic
    > cameras the SNR and MTF were the two big performance issues we would
    > analyze. A very sharp imagine system (high mtf) will still not give
    > very good results with a poor snr. In fact, if the camera system has
    > too low an snr, it becomes very hard to even measure the mtf properly.
    >
    > Fortunately, current digicams (at least visible light ones) seem to
    > generally have pretty good snr. Not like the old thermal IR cameras
    > we dealt with :)

    Don,

    It sounds as if we have dealt with quite similar things in the past! We
    used a technique of taking a four-bar target at a particular contrast
    (delta-T) and spatial frequency, and applying /all/ the MTF and noise
    factors to that (atmosphere, lens, sensor, processing, display, eye/brain)
    and working out the SNR on the retina. Subjective tests showed what
    actual observers could achieve in terms of subject recognition with a
    given SNR and spatial frequency. Their capabilities were quite
    surprising, in a similar way to how experienced bird-spotters can tell a
    bird type when all the casual observer can tell is the colour!

    Quite how you relate this to image quality in digital cameras I am not
    sure, but I completely agree that both MTF and SNR are important. My
    guess is that one should use targets of varying contrast (and ideally sine
    wave targets), and measure the SNR within a specified spatial frequency
    range (rather than just broadband noise). Perhaps something like an
    octave of noise centred on the spatial frequency being tested (I suspect
    the 1/3 octave of audio may be too fine).

    Nice subject for someone's PhD?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 23, 2008
  13. Marc Wossner wrote:
    []
    > This is what Norman Korens hypothesis about Shannons information
    > theory does. He uses the equation C=W log2(SNR+1), that defines the
    > capacity of a data channel, to define image quality (IQ) as IQ=W
    > log2(SNR+1), where W is the image visual capacity in one dimension. He
    > choose to use the product of MTF 50 and image sensor size for this
    > value. Look at http://www.imatest.com/docs/shannon.html.
    >
    > Best regards!
    > Marc Wossner

    Thanks, Marc.

    I wish I had time to read that in more detail - I've bookmarked it.
    However, I don't think that a single number is the answer, as you may want
    rather different performance characteristics for (for example) portrait
    and architectural photography. In portraits, for example, meaning
    low-noise at low spatial frequencies but not too bothered about MTF at
    high spatial frequencies (shows too much detail!). Detail may be the key
    in other photographs....

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 23, 2008
  14. Marc Wossner

    PDM Guest

    "Marc Wossner" <> wrote in message

    Hi ng,

    I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    the following formula:

    SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)

    As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    digital images. Can someone please help me with that?

    Best Regards!
    Marc Wossner

    For the life of me, I can not understand why you want to know. Please
    amplify?

    PDM

    PDM, May 23, 2008
  15. Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner Guest

    On 23 Mai, 23:07, "PDM" <pdcm99minus this > wrote:
    > "Marc Wossner" <> wrote in message

    > Hi ng,
    >
    > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > the following formula:
    >
    > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)
    >
    > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?
    >
    > Best Regards!
    > Marc Wossner
    >
    > For the life of me, I can not understand why you want to know. Please
    > amplify?
    >
    > PDM

    I want to know because I want to get a better understanding of the
    underlying technique to make better use of it and to be able to rank
    the values I find written and on the web by hands-on knowledge.

    Best regards!
    Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner, May 23, 2008
  16. Marc Wossner

    On 23 Mai, 23:07, "PDM" <pdcm99minus this > wrote:
    > "Marc Wossner" <> wrote in message

    > Hi ng,
    >
    > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > the following formula:
    >
    > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)
    >
    > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?
    >
    > Best Regards!
    > Marc Wossner
    >
    > For the life of me, I can not understand why you want to know. Please
    > amplify?
    >
    > PDM

    I want to know because I want to get a better understanding of the
    underlying technique to make better use of it and to be able to rank
    the values I find written and on the web by hands-on knowledge.

    How will this help you to take better pictures? Afterall, this is what's
    it's all about, not science.

    PDM

    PDM, May 24, 2008
  17. Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner Guest

    On 24 Mai, 02:24, "PDM" <pdcm99minus this > wrote:
    > "Marc Wossner" <> wrote in message

    > On 23 Mai, 23:07, "PDM" <pdcm99minus this > wrote:
    >

    > > "Marc Wossner" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi ng,

    > > I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    > > According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    > > to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    > > the following formula:

    > > SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)

    > > As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    > > mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    > > digital images. Can someone please help me with that?

    > > Best Regards!
    > > Marc Wossner

    > > For the life of me, I can not understand why you want to know. Please
    > > amplify?

    > > PDM

    > I want to know because I want to get a better understanding of the
    > underlying technique to make better use of it and to be able to rank
    > the values I find written and on the web by hands-on knowledge.
    >
    > How will this help you to take better pictures? Afterall, this is what's
    > it's all about, not science.
    >
    > PDM

    Better pictures, yes that´s what we are after. But to understand what
    a good picture is one needs science. Because we perceive pictures
    visually, science is necessary to understand how our visual system
    works. And it is important as well to understand how photography as a
    technical medium works. Looking at our visual system you can learn
    that noise, together with resolution, is an important measure of
    sharpness and sharpness in turn is the most important factor in image
    quality. So understanding noise and its implications on how we
    *perceive* sharpness (it is something our visual system creates) helps
    in taking pictures that are judged as superior.

    Best regards!
    Marc Wossner

    Marc Wossner, May 24, 2008
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > I'd say snr is equally important to MTF.

    Actually, in the age of cheap image DSP, none of them is important at
    all. ;-) Using proper DSP, you can modify any one of these
    numbers/functions any way you want.

    What IS important (and what does not change by applying DSP) is the
    RATIO of MTF (at a particular spacial frequency) to the noise level
    (filtered appropriately to reflect contribution of noise at the same
    spacial frequency).

    Essentially, this way you get S/N ratio as a function of spacial
    frequency. This function more or less describes how good you can make
    the image by application of PROPER DSP.

    The integral of log of this function reflects the amount of
    information in the image (Shannon-like "image quality"; AFAICS, it
    reflects very well the subjective impressions).

    Yours,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, May 24, 2008
  19. In article <>, Floyd L. Davidson
    <> writes
    >ransley <> wrote:
    >>On May 22, 5:28 am, Marc Wossner <> wrote:
    >>> Hi ng,
    >>>
    >>> I´d like to know about the signal to noise ratio of my digital camera.
    >>> According to a website I found this value is the ratio of total signal
    >>> to total noise expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated with
    >>> the following formula:
    >>>
    >>> SNR = 20 log (Signal RMS / Noise RMS)
    >>>
    >>> As math was always a horror for me, I have only a slight idea of "root
    >>> mean square" but don´t know how to deduce those values from simple
    >>> digital images. Can someone please help me with that?
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards!
    >>> Marc Wossner

    >>db is sound not what your eve sees, what is "this wedsite" for you id
    >>say tb, trollbell

    >dB has no particular attachment to sound, any more than
    >it does to light. It's a ratio of two numbers, as shown
    >in the formula above. The numbers represent signal
    >power, regardless of what the signal actually is.

    The most common mistake of all is that in the formula above, the numbers
    represent signal and noise AMPLITUDE, eg. voltage, current, digital
    units, and NOT power!

    If they were power then the correct formula would be
    SNR = 10 log(Sig/Noise) dB

    The Bell is defined as a power ratio. It is the factor of 10 that
    converts Bells to deciBells. Power is proportional to, for example,
    volts squared.
    Hence 10 log(P1/P2) = 10 log ((V1/V2)^2) = 20 log(V1/V2).

    Before estimating SNR, you need to be sure what the numbers you use
    represent and how they relate to power (intensity, for example is
    proportional to power) otherwise you could be a factor of two out.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, May 24, 2008
  20. On May 23, 9:41 am, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    > Don,
    >
    > It sounds as if we have dealt with quite similar things in the past! We
    > used a technique of taking a four-bar target at a particular contrast
    > (delta-T) and spatial frequency, and applying /all/ the MTF and noise
    > factors to that (atmosphere, lens, sensor, processing, display, eye/brain)
    > and working out the SNR on the retina. Subjective tests showed what
    > actual observers could achieve in terms of subject recognition with a
    > given SNR and spatial frequency. Their capabilities were quite
    > surprising, in a similar way to how experienced bird-spotters can tell a
    > bird type when all the casual observer can tell is the colour!
    >
    > Quite how you relate this to image quality in digital cameras I am not
    > sure, but I completely agree that both MTF and SNR are important. My
    > guess is that one should use targets of varying contrast (and ideally sine
    > wave targets), and measure the SNR within a specified spatial frequency
    > range (rather than just broadband noise). Perhaps something like an
    > octave of noise centred on the spatial frequency being tested (I suspect
    > the 1/3 octave of audio may be too fine).
    >
    > Nice subject for someone's PhD?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    While a bar chart target is not a sine wave, which is what MTF is
    designed for, a normal bar chart target is a 50-50 square wave. Hence
    there is no second harmonic. The first actual overtone that comes
    into effect is the third. If there is reasonable anti-aliasing
    filtering, then one can use modulation measured from a bar chart to do
    MTF calcs. Yeah, a sine wave chart is better, but harder to find,
    especially for IR.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, May 24, 2008