    FireFox caching the file somwhere on my PC? If so where and how do I get
    rid of it?

    Thanks

    Porter Smith, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Porter Smith wrote:
    > I'm seeing some unexpected behavior. Perhaps someone can shed some light.
    >
    > Running Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I go to a website and
    > download a file. Some time (10 minutes) later the Webmaster replaces the
    > file with a newer version. I download again but I get the old version and
    > the download completes in a fraction of the time.
    >
    > I go to another PC on my LAN which uses the same broadband connection. This
    > time when I download I get the new version.
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > I've erased the old file, cleared the downlaod history and restarted
    > FireFox but one PC gets the old version and the other gets the new. Is
    > FireFox caching the file somwhere on my PC? If so where and how do I get
    > rid of it?
    >
    > Thanks

    Because the files have the same name.

    You download the file the first time and the filename is stored. When
    you go to get the file the second time (same PC) it checks and the file
    already exists, so the download is almost instantaneous (it doesnt
    really download it again)

    If you go to another PC, it sees the file, but since it doesnt already
    have a copy, it gets the 'new' one

    Once the file is downloaded, simply clearing Firefox's memory of it isnt
    enough (depending on your system). You have to clear the systems memory
    of the file as well.

    Quick workaround. Rename the file when you download it, and it will
    fetch the new version. You can rename it to the original name afterwards
    if you like.

    Some systems have 'automatic' file naming settings in place. Some
    systems if you try to download it again will respond with <filename
    already exists, do you want to replace it> or they will add a numeric to
    the filename to indicate its a secondary 'copy' (ie. quickmovie.mov
    becomes quickmovie2.mov or some such)

    A 'better' download manager than the one extant in Firefox would do more
    'checking' (and probably better error messages) when it comes to
    duplicates, but with the workaround described above its not a neccessity
    to have a 'better' one.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Mar 21, 2006

  3. Porter Smith

    gwtc Guest

    Porter Smith wrote:

    > I'm seeing some unexpected behavior. Perhaps someone can shed some light.
    >
    > Running Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I go to a website and
    > download a file. Some time (10 minutes) later the Webmaster replaces the
    > file with a newer version. I download again but I get the old version and
    > the download completes in a fraction of the time.
    >
    > I go to another PC on my LAN which uses the same broadband connection. This
    > time when I download I get the new version.
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > I've erased the old file, cleared the downlaod history and restarted
    > FireFox but one PC gets the old version and the other gets the new. Is
    > FireFox caching the file somwhere on my PC? If so where and how do I get
    > rid of it?
    >
    > Thanks

    the page is stored in your cache. Try emptying it: Tools, Options,
    Privacy and Cache tab.

    Also, if you want to refresh the page, it the Reload Current Page
    button, the one between the Forward button and the Stop button. Or
    hold down the ctrl key and hist the F5 button, or just F5 should do.

    gwtc, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Porter Smith

    Porter Smith Guest

    gwtc <TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote
    in news:44205d06$:

    > the page is stored in your cache. Try emptying it: Tools, Options,
    > Privacy and Cache tab.

    That was it. Thanks

    Porter Smith, Mar 21, 2006