Cache

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mira, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Mira

    Mira Guest

    Hello. I'm newbie. I'm maintaining my own website with Comcast as my ISP. My
    problem is, some graphics/hyperlinks in my website ( in the cyberspace)
    doesn't show. It shows when I click the preview button from Front Page
    extensions. When I update my website thru FTP and check the website in the
    cyberspace it doesn't. I dont know what I'm going to do. I dont have
    computer knowledge. I built this homepage from scratch and from books with a
    lot of tears. Trying to solve this so I went thru the Comcast webpage and in
    their help page or FAQ, I read that if graphics doen't show, it may exceed
    the bytes however by clicking around I
    found this information that the maximum bytes allocated is 26,214,400 and
    the total bytes I use is 6,181,813.It said that maybe the reason is the
    "Cache" It needs to be changed they said. Here is my problem. What is the
    cache and where/how can I find it? I've been searching or running files
    about the cache and I couldnt find it. I like to solve this computer problem
    of mine. Another thing is: I went to Comcast webpage today and I cannot
    find the page where I found those informations. It seems that they change
    the contents of their info about personal webpages. I used to see how many
    bytes I use and everything about my homepage. They're all gone now so I dont
    know where to go. Please enlighten me. Please help. I have Windows XP if
    this will help.

    Thanks a lot in advance,
    Mira
    Mira, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Mira

    Chet Guest

    Start with the basics. Make sure the graphics files are actually being
    transferred to the host. For each picture there is a separate file that the
    web page links to.

    You mention "Front Page" even though you say you built the page from
    scratch. It's not clear if you have actually composed the HTML or not. I
    suggest the following no-nonsense primer on HTML if you need it.

    http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html

    Chet, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Mira

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mira" <> wrote in news:kMKdnfa7GNKY4FndRVn-
    :

    > Thanks a lot in advance,
    > Mira

    Where is your page located at? I can help you fix it if you post the
    address.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Mira

    Mira Guest

    Chet, yes, I use Front page so maybe saying "built it from scratch is wrong
    word to use" sorry about that. Even using the Front page and the book with
    me is still a lot to tackle for me. Graphics are all okay when it will be
    viewed in my pc but after trnasferring all the files from cuteFTP then some
    graphics or the hyperlinks are not working. Thanks for the lik, I'll check
    it out.
    Mira
    Mira, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Mira

    Mira Guest

    Mira, Jun 7, 2004
  6. Mira

    colin Guest

    Mira <> wrote in message
    > Chet, yes, I use Front page so maybe saying "built it from scratch is

    wrong
    > word to use" sorry about that. Even using the Front page and the book with
    > me is still a lot to tackle for me. Graphics are all okay when it will be
    > viewed in my pc but after trnasferring all the files from cuteFTP then

    some
    > graphics or the hyperlinks are not working. Thanks for the lik, I'll check
    > it out.
    > Mira

    http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm

    As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X

    Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

    http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm

    "For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the best
    mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
    Completed 1/12/99" no pic

    http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/1stbirthday.jpg X

    http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/letterb.jpg no text
    below the pic

    http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!
    colin, Jun 7, 2004
  7. Mira

    Mira Guest

    > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm
    >
    > As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X
    >
    > Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

    Thank you for pointing these out. Graphics are not showing up if you view
    my homepage from the web site. The reason why I'm posting here in the first
    place to get some help/answers.

    > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm
    >
    > "For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the

    best
    > mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
    > Completed 1/12/99" no pic

    There is no pic there really

    > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/1stbirthday.jpg X

    I am still working how to get the graphics show in the web

    > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/letterb.jpg no text
    > below the pic

    Thanks for ponting this, I realized that I forgot to say something there

    > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!

    Every gallery has 20 projects shown. I still need 7 finished projects to
    be put up in gallery 4 so the page URL is not found
    Mira, Jun 7, 2004
  8. Mira

    colin Guest

    Mira wrote:
    >>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm
    >>
    >>As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X
    >>
    >>Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

    > Thank you for pointing these out. Graphics are not showing up if you view
    > my homepage from the web site. The reason why I'm posting here in the first
    > place to get some help/answers.
    >

    >>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm
    >>
    >>"For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the

    > best
    >
    >>mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
    >>Completed 1/12/99" no pic

    > There is no pic there really
    >

    >>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/1stbirthday.jpg X

    > I am still working how to get the graphics show in the web
    >

    >>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/letterb.jpg no text
    >>below the pic

    > Thanks for ponting this, I realized that I forgot to say something there
    >

    >>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!

    > Every gallery has 20 projects shown. I still need 7 finished projects to
    > be put up in gallery 4 so the page URL is not found

    Aside from the 3 missing pics, which you should be able to re-upload;
    everything else appears to be fine
    colin, Jun 7, 2004
  9. Mira

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Mira" <> wrote in message

    > > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm
    > >
    > > As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X
    > >
    > > Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

    > Thank you for pointing these out. Graphics are not showing up if you

    view
    > my homepage from the web site. The reason why I'm posting here in the

    first
    > place to get some help/answers.
    >
    > > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm
    > >
    > > "For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the

    > best
    > > mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
    > > Completed 1/12/99" no pic

    > There is no pic there really
    >
    > > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/1stbirthday.jpg X

    > I am still working how to get the graphics show in the web
    >
    > > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/images/BigImages/letterb.jpg no text
    > > below the pic

    > Thanks for ponting this, I realized that I forgot to say something

    there

    > > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!

    > Every gallery has 20 projects shown. I still need 7 finished projects

    > be put up in gallery 4 so the page URL is not found

    As with colin, only 3 missing pics and everything else seems to work.

    Can't be sure to why the pics aren't loading. A few possible reasons are:

    1. It could be the picture (maybe missing from the server or corrupted), in
    which case, upload the pictures again.

    2. The picture reference in the HTML might be different to the image file
    name.
    In this case, delete and then add the picture again using FrontPage.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Mira

    Mira Guest

    > 2. The picture reference in the HTML might be different to the image file
    > name.
    > In this case, delete and then add the picture again using FrontPage.

    You're very right. I checked my homepage and notice these. They're all
    edited now and all the graphics are working. Thank you so much for pointing
    this out. Thanks to all who replied, specially you..Global_Killa

    Mira
    Mira, Jun 8, 2004