Cache memory problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by D A welser, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. D A welser

    D A welser Guest

    Let try that request for help again.

    I am running XP

    For several months the required space for the virtual memory cache has been
    growing. I tried to let the system manage it but it could not keep up.

    I went in an changed it via the Properties tap from My Computer.

    It is now set at am initial of 1900 and a max of 2500 MB.

    There are 60 GB available on the disk.

    I am running Norton system Doctor and it is warning that cache is 96 percent
    full.

    What am I doing wrong??

    Dave W

    D A welser, Oct 2, 2003

  2. D A welser

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:43:51 GMT, "D A welser"
    <> scribbled:

    >Let try that request for help again.

    Why start a brand new thread for the same question?

    >I am running XP

    Don't let anyone know what kind of system it is.

    >For several months the required space for the virtual memory cache has been
    >growing. I tried to let the system manage it but it could not keep up.

    "Could not keep up"?

    >I went in an changed it via the Properties tap from My Computer.
    >
    >It is now set at am initial of 1900 and a max of 2500 MB.
    >
    >There are 60 GB available on the disk.
    >
    >I am running Norton system Doctor and it is warning that cache is 96 percent
    >full.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong??

    Listening to Norton.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 2, 2003

  3. D A welser

    HamMan Guest

    "D A welser" <> wrote in message
    > Let try that request for help again.
    >
    > I am running XP
    >
    > For several months the required space for the virtual memory cache has

    been
    > growing. I tried to let the system manage it but it could not keep up.
    >
    > I went in an changed it via the Properties tap from My Computer.
    >
    > It is now set at am initial of 1900 and a max of 2500 MB.
    >
    > There are 60 GB available on the disk.
    >
    > I am running Norton system Doctor and it is warning that cache is 96

    percent
    > full.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong??
    >
    > Dave W

    How much physical ram?

    any other specs?

    HamMan, Oct 2, 2003
  4. D A welser

    D A welser Guest

    the system has 512 RAM

    D A welser, Oct 2, 2003
  5. D A welser

    Ron Martell Guest

    "D A welser" <> wrote:

    >Let try that request for help again.
    >
    >I am running XP
    >
    >For several months the required space for the virtual memory cache has been
    >growing. I tried to let the system manage it but it could not keep up.
    >
    >I went in an changed it via the Properties tap from My Computer.
    >
    >It is now set at am initial of 1900 and a max of 2500 MB.
    >
    >There are 60 GB available on the disk.
    >
    >I am running Norton system Doctor and it is warning that cache is 96 percent
    >full.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong??
    >
    >Dave W

    What sort of problems are you having?

    What is the *verbatim* text of the error message(s) that you are
    getting and exactly when are you getting them?

    Because you are running Norton products I will make a wild guess.

    If you are getting a warning message about low virtual memory when you
    shut down the computer, and only when you shut down the computer, then
    that is a known problem caused by a bug in Norton Internet Security.
    Symantec has posted a fix for this problem. Download the file
    LRSETUP.EXE from http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html and
    run it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Oct 2, 2003
  6. D A welser

    D A welser Guest

    Actually I do not see it at shut down. The messages keeps popping up as I
    work. It just came up a minute ago saying that cache is low (91 percent
    utilized). I note that some things will not load or load very slowly. I
    was printing a scanned document this morning and the print failed because
    there was not enough cache available. That is what got me going on this
    again.

    Dave

    D A welser, Oct 2, 2003
  7. D A welser

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    "D A welser" <> wrote in message
    > Let try that request for help again.
    >
    > I am running XP
    >
    > For several months the required space for the virtual memory cache has

    been
    > growing. I tried to let the system manage it but it could not keep up.
    >
    > I went in an changed it via the Properties tap from My Computer.
    >
    > It is now set at am initial of 1900 and a max of 2500 MB.
    >
    > There are 60 GB available on the disk.
    >
    > I am running Norton system Doctor and it is warning that cache is 96

    percent
    > full.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong??
    >
    > Dave W

    Let Windows manage it and defragment the drive.

    dr_hardwrae, Oct 2, 2003
  8. In the post Kk%eb.4349$, we all know
    that dr_hardwrae () screamed at the top of his
    lungs:
    > "D A welser" <> wrote in message
    >> Let try that request for help again.
    >>
    >> I am running XP
    >>
    >> For several months the required space for the virtual memory cache
    >> has been growing. I tried to let the system manage it but it could
    >> not keep up.
    >>
    >> I went in an changed it via the Properties tap from My Computer.
    >>
    >> It is now set at am initial of 1900 and a max of 2500 MB.
    >>
    >> There are 60 GB available on the disk.
    >>
    >> I am running Norton system Doctor and it is warning that cache is 96
    >> percent full.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong??
    >>
    >> Dave W

    I also have a question. I have 256 MB of RAM, but it is not running very
    efficiantly. Why not? Does any one know why? Please reply to group.

    --
    Do the Dew - Dewman
    has been changed to

    DUH

    yellow submarine, Oct 2, 2003
  9. D A welser

    Plato Guest

    D A welser wrote:

    > I am running Norton system Doctor and it is warning that cache is 96 percent
    > full.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong??

    Your're running Witch Doctor. Disable it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 3, 2003
  10. D A welser

    Plato Guest

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > Because you are running Norton products I will make a wild guess.

    That stupid program has to be disabled to properly diagnose his problem.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 3, 2003