    a more easily accessible elec power socket for the router.

    TIA
    hummingbird

    hummingbird, Jul 18, 2006

  2. hummingbird

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    > Decisions decisions... I want to install a wired router...
    > My BT ADSL telephone socket is about 11 metres away from my PC.
    >
    > Which would be best or they much of a muchness:
    >
    > 1,locate the router close to the BT socket via a 1 meter RJ11 cable
    > and then a 10 metre RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC Ethernet card
    > -or-
    > 2,locate the router close to the PC via a 10 meter RJ11 and a 1 metre
    > RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC.
    >
    > In the latter case the router would be closer to hand for looking at
    > etc but that's not too important to me; in the former case there's
    > a more easily accessible elec power socket for the router.
    >
    > TIA
    > hummingbird

    Why don't you split the difference: 5m and 5m.

    Anyway, I have all my stuff (cable modem, router) very close to the
    entry of the wire into the house and then from the router I run all of
    the wires to the computers. I have a hub close to two computers but the
    wire from the router to it is about 7m. . If you have just one computer
    it may not matter but the socket to the router connection can be a first
    trouble shooting step. Then the wire to the PC would be next but I
    always figgered that I didn't want to run from the PC to the socket and
    that it wasn't all that convenient to have the router close at hand. I
    never look at mine unless I don't have a connection. YMMV.

    --
    You'll never see all the places, or read all the books,
    but fortunately, they're not all recommended.

    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006

  3. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:18:05 -0000 'Jimchip'
    posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >> Decisions decisions... I want to install a wired router...
    >> My BT ADSL telephone socket is about 11 metres away from my PC.
    >>
    >> Which would be best or they much of a muchness:
    >>
    >> 1,locate the router close to the BT socket via a 1 meter RJ11 cable
    >> and then a 10 metre RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC Ethernet card
    >> -or-
    >> 2,locate the router close to the PC via a 10 meter RJ11 and a 1 metre
    >> RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC.
    >>
    >> In the latter case the router would be closer to hand for looking at
    >> etc but that's not too important to me; in the former case there's
    >> a more easily accessible elec power socket for the router.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> hummingbird

    >Why don't you split the difference: 5m and 5m.

    Duh!
    That might be a sensible option, although it would give me a slight
    problem with power socket availability.

    >Anyway, I have all my stuff (cable modem, router) very close to the
    >entry of the wire into the house and then from the router I run all of
    >the wires to the computers. I have a hub close to two computers but the
    >wire from the router to it is about 7m. . If you have just one computer
    >it may not matter but the socket to the router connection can be a first
    >trouble shooting step. Then the wire to the PC would be next but I
    >always figgered that I didn't want to run from the PC to the socket and
    >that it wasn't all that convenient to have the router close at hand. I
    >never look at mine unless I don't have a connection. YMMV.

    I think you're saying that the two options are much of a muchness.
    That's pretty much what I thought too.

    hummingbird, Jul 18, 2006
  4. hummingbird

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:18:05 -0000 'Jimchip'
    > posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >>> Decisions decisions... I want to install a wired router...
    >>> My BT ADSL telephone socket is about 11 metres away from my PC.
    >>>
    >>> Which would be best or they much of a muchness:
    >>>
    >>> 1,locate the router close to the BT socket via a 1 meter RJ11 cable
    >>> and then a 10 metre RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC Ethernet card
    >>> -or-
    >>> 2,locate the router close to the PC via a 10 meter RJ11 and a 1 metre
    >>> RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC.
    >>>
    >>> In the latter case the router would be closer to hand for looking at
    >>> etc but that's not too important to me; in the former case there's
    >>> a more easily accessible elec power socket for the router.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> hummingbird

    >>Why don't you split the difference: 5m and 5m.

    > Duh!
    > That might be a sensible option, although it would give me a slight
    > problem with power socket availability.
    >
    >>Anyway, I have all my stuff (cable modem, router) very close to the
    >>entry of the wire into the house and then from the router I run all of
    >>the wires to the computers. I have a hub close to two computers but the
    >>wire from the router to it is about 7m. . If you have just one computer
    >>it may not matter but the socket to the router connection can be a first
    >>trouble shooting step. Then the wire to the PC would be next but I
    >>always figgered that I didn't want to run from the PC to the socket and
    >>that it wasn't all that convenient to have the router close at hand. I
    >>never look at mine unless I don't have a connection. YMMV.

    > I think you're saying that the two options are much of a muchness.
    > That's pretty much what I thought too.

    For a single PC, yes. If you ever expand then I think a central
    socket/router (close to wire) location with the longer ethernet cables
    from the router to the PC's is the way to go. Look at it this way: You
    can do long/short either way and then just do short/long if you need to
    change.

    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006
  5. hummingbird

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    > Decisions decisions... I want to install a wired router...
    > My BT ADSL telephone socket is about 11 metres away from my PC.
    >
    > Which would be best or they much of a muchness:
    >
    > 1,locate the router close to the BT socket via a 1 meter RJ11 cable
    > and then a 10 metre RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC Ethernet card
    > -or-
    > 2,locate the router close to the PC via a 10 meter RJ11 and a 1 metre
    > RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC.
    >
    > In the latter case the router would be closer to hand for looking at
    > etc but that's not too important to me; in the former case there's
    > a more easily accessible elec power socket for the router.
    >
    > TIA
    > hummingbird

    Much of a muchness. I think you might struggle to find ready-made cables
    only 1 metre long though; 2 metres is more likely.

    I have a 4m cable from my router to the DSL 'filter' which is plugged
    directly into my main telephone socket, and a 4m ethernet cable to this
    PC.

    I went for the 'heavy-duty shielded' option on the cable from the DSL
    socket to the router; the much shorter cable supplied with the router
    looked very flimsy next to an ethernet cable, and my aesthetic
    sensibilities were affronted by such illogical inconsistency. (After all,
    if my data deserves a nice chunky cable for one part of the journey, why
    squeeze it into something looking like a lamp flex for the next part?).

    Compare prices on the cables; some shops seem to charge vastly more than
    others for essentially the same thing. (PC World wanted several times as
    much as Maplin when I last looked).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 18, 2006
  6. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:19:50 -0000 'Jimchip'
    posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:18:05 -0000 'Jimchip'
    >> posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>>Why don't you split the difference: 5m and 5m.

    >> Duh!
    >> That might be a sensible option, although it would give me a slight
    >> problem with power socket availability.
    >>
    >>>Anyway, I have all my stuff (cable modem, router) very close to the
    >>>entry of the wire into the house and then from the router I run all of
    >>>the wires to the computers. I have a hub close to two computers but the
    >>>wire from the router to it is about 7m. . If you have just one computer
    >>>it may not matter but the socket to the router connection can be a first
    >>>trouble shooting step. Then the wire to the PC would be next but I
    >>>always figgered that I didn't want to run from the PC to the socket and
    >>>that it wasn't all that convenient to have the router close at hand. I
    >>>never look at mine unless I don't have a connection. YMMV.

    >> I think you're saying that the two options are much of a muchness.
    >> That's pretty much what I thought too.

    >For a single PC, yes. If you ever expand then I think a central
    >socket/router (close to wire) location with the longer ethernet cables
    >from the router to the PC's is the way to go. Look at it this way: You
    >can do long/short either way and then just do short/long if you need to
    >change.

    Fair comment. I previously wondered if Ethernet cables were less
    subject to degradation over distance than telecom connection cables.

    I might actually take your 3rd option of going 5m/5m; that would also
    cover me if I wanted to attach a 2nd PC to the router later on.

    hummingbird, Jul 18, 2006
  7. hummingbird

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:19:50 -0000 'Jimchip'
    > posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:18:05 -0000 'Jimchip'
    >>> posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Duh!
    >>> That might be a sensible option, although it would give me a slight
    >>> problem with power socket availability.

    >>> I think you're saying that the two options are much of a muchness.
    >>> That's pretty much what I thought too.

    >>For a single PC, yes. If you ever expand then I think a central
    >>socket/router (close to wire) location with the longer ethernet cables
    >>from the router to the PC's is the way to go. Look at it this way: You
    >>can do long/short either way and then just do short/long if you need to
    >>change.

    > Fair comment. I previously wondered if Ethernet cables were less
    > subject to degradation over distance than telecom connection cables.

    I've had ethernet cables running outside my house. Eventually they may
    go bad because of the UV degradation. Telecom cables are pretty robust
    also. The only problem with telecom is where they wire in...the wires
    can get corroded if it's damp. But that's an easy check and an easy fix.
    At the distances you are talking about, signal degradation doesn't
    matter. That CAT5 or CAT6 cable is sorta just the same thing as telecom.
    Twisted pairs so they don't mutually interfere.

    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006
  8. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:20:19 -0000 'Jimchip'
    posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:19:50 -0000 'Jimchip'
    >> posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>>For a single PC, yes. If you ever expand then I think a central
    >>>socket/router (close to wire) location with the longer ethernet cables
    >>>from the router to the PC's is the way to go. Look at it this way: You
    >>>can do long/short either way and then just do short/long if you need to
    >>>change.

    >> Fair comment. I previously wondered if Ethernet cables were less
    >> subject to degradation over distance than telecom connection cables.

    >I've had ethernet cables running outside my house. Eventually they may
    >go bad because of the UV degradation. Telecom cables are pretty robust
    >also. The only problem with telecom is where they wire in...the wires
    >can get corroded if it's damp. But that's an easy check and an easy fix.
    >At the distances you are talking about, signal degradation doesn't
    >matter. That CAT5 or CAT6 cable is sorta just the same thing as telecom.
    >Twisted pairs so they don't mutually interfere.

    Thanks for your helpful comments Jimchip. Much appreciated.

    hummingbird, Jul 18, 2006
  9. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:32:08 -0500 'Mara'
    posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:04:52 +0100, hummingbird <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Fair comment. I previously wondered if Ethernet cables were less
    >>subject to degradation over distance than telecom connection cables.
    >>
    >>I might actually take your 3rd option of going 5m/5m; that would also
    >>cover me if I wanted to attach a 2nd PC to the router later on.

    >I'm currently using cables that are anywhere from 3' to 50'. I haven't seen any
    >problems.

    Thanks Mara. That's good to hear.

    hummingbird, Jul 18, 2006
  10. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:47:46 +0100 'Whiskers'
    posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >> Decisions decisions... I want to install a wired router...
    >> My BT ADSL telephone socket is about 11 metres away from my PC.
    >>
    >> Which would be best or they much of a muchness:
    >>
    >> 1,locate the router close to the BT socket via a 1 meter RJ11 cable
    >> and then a 10 metre RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC Ethernet card
    >> -or-
    >> 2,locate the router close to the PC via a 10 meter RJ11 and a 1 metre
    >> RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC.
    >>
    >> In the latter case the router would be closer to hand for looking at
    >> etc but that's not too important to me; in the former case there's
    >> a more easily accessible elec power socket for the router.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> hummingbird

    >Much of a muchness. I think you might struggle to find ready-made cables
    >only 1 metre long though; 2 metres is more likely.

    Yeah I guess it may be necessary to use a 2m cable if I went that
    route.

    >I have a 4m cable from my router to the DSL 'filter' which is plugged
    >directly into my main telephone socket, and a 4m ethernet cable to this
    >PC.
    >
    >I went for the 'heavy-duty shielded' option on the cable from the DSL
    >socket to the router; the much shorter cable supplied with the router
    >looked very flimsy next to an ethernet cable, and my aesthetic
    >sensibilities were affronted by such illogical inconsistency. (After all,
    >if my data deserves a nice chunky cable for one part of the journey, why
    >squeeze it into something looking like a lamp flex for the next part?).
    >
    >Compare prices on the cables; some shops seem to charge vastly more than
    >others for essentially the same thing. (PC World wanted several times as
    >much as Maplin when I last looked).

    I have a branch of Maplins just 5 mins walk away :)
    I guess I'll go for the 5m/5m option suggested by Jimchip and use
    Cat 5e standard cable or even Cat 6 if it's not too pricey.

    Thanks for your useful comments Whiskas. Much appreciated.

    hummingbird, Jul 18, 2006
  11. hummingbird

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:47:46 +0100 'Whiskers'
    > posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >>> Decisions decisions... I want to install a wired router...
    >>> My BT ADSL telephone socket is about 11 metres away from my PC.
    >>>
    >>> Which would be best or they much of a muchness:
    >>>
    >>> 1,locate the router close to the BT socket via a 1 meter RJ11 cable
    >>> and then a 10 metre RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC Ethernet card
    >>> -or-
    >>> 2,locate the router close to the PC via a 10 meter RJ11 and a 1 metre
    >>> RJ45 Ethernet cable into the PC.
    >>>
    >>> In the latter case the router would be closer to hand for looking at
    >>> etc but that's not too important to me; in the former case there's
    >>> a more easily accessible elec power socket for the router.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> hummingbird

    >>Much of a muchness. I think you might struggle to find ready-made cables
    >>only 1 metre long though; 2 metres is more likely.

    > Yeah I guess it may be necessary to use a 2m cable if I went that
    > route.
    >
    >>I have a 4m cable from my router to the DSL 'filter' which is plugged
    >>directly into my main telephone socket, and a 4m ethernet cable to this
    >>PC.
    >>
    >>I went for the 'heavy-duty shielded' option on the cable from the DSL
    >>socket to the router; the much shorter cable supplied with the router
    >>looked very flimsy next to an ethernet cable, and my aesthetic
    >>sensibilities were affronted by such illogical inconsistency. (After all,
    >>if my data deserves a nice chunky cable for one part of the journey, why
    >>squeeze it into something looking like a lamp flex for the next part?).
    >>
    >>Compare prices on the cables; some shops seem to charge vastly more than
    >>others for essentially the same thing. (PC World wanted several times as
    >>much as Maplin when I last looked).

    > I have a branch of Maplins just 5 mins walk away :)
    > I guess I'll go for the 5m/5m option suggested by Jimchip and use
    > Cat 5e standard cable or even Cat 6 if it's not too pricey.

    Buy cheap Cat5. By the time Cat6 really matters, you'll have a whole new
    setup. Cat6 is for "wiring for the future" when it's hard to change it
    out (inside walls, for example).

    The 5m/5m was just another option. I always go short from outside to the
    router and then long to the computers. Pretty much, it doesn't matter
    too much as long there is a through connection.

    > Thanks for your useful comments Whiskas. Much appreciated.

    --
    Some people cause happiness wherever they go;
    others, whenever they go.

    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006
  12. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:56:49 -0000 'Jimchip'
    posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >On 2006-07-18, hummingbird <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:47:46 +0100 'Whiskers'
    >> posted this onto 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>>Much of a muchness. I think you might struggle to find ready-made cables
    >>>only 1 metre long though; 2 metres is more likely.

    >> Yeah I guess it may be necessary to use a 2m cable if I went that
    >> route.
    >>
    >>>I have a 4m cable from my router to the DSL 'filter' which is plugged
    >>>directly into my main telephone socket, and a 4m ethernet cable to this
    >>>PC.
    >>>
    >>>I went for the 'heavy-duty shielded' option on the cable from the DSL
    >>>socket to the router; the much shorter cable supplied with the router
    >>>looked very flimsy next to an ethernet cable, and my aesthetic
    >>>sensibilities were affronted by such illogical inconsistency. (After all,
    >>>if my data deserves a nice chunky cable for one part of the journey, why
    >>>squeeze it into something looking like a lamp flex for the next part?).
    >>>
    >>>Compare prices on the cables; some shops seem to charge vastly more than
    >>>others for essentially the same thing. (PC World wanted several times as
    >>>much as Maplin when I last looked).

    >> I have a branch of Maplins just 5 mins walk away :)
    >> I guess I'll go for the 5m/5m option suggested by Jimchip and use
    >> Cat 5e standard cable or even Cat 6 if it's not too pricey.

    >Buy cheap Cat5. By the time Cat6 really matters, you'll have a whole new
    >setup. Cat6 is for "wiring for the future" when it's hard to change it
    >out (inside walls, for example).

    Yes I read about that somewhere. I'll stick to Cat 5e. Given the
    lengths involved this should be quite adequate.

    >The 5m/5m was just another option. I always go short from outside to the
    >router and then long to the computers. Pretty much, it doesn't matter
    >too much as long there is a through connection.

    I'll give it some thought before buying the goodies. As you say if the
    connections are good, it will unlikely make any difference.

    hummingbird, Jul 19, 2006