Cable vs Phone Line High Speed Internet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gary L T, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    I have been reading about the residential high speed cable internet provided
    by TelstraClear. The high speed 5G plan for $59.95 per month plus $10.95 for
    cable modem rental seems to be a good option with its 2Mbps downstream / 512
    kbps upstream. The nearest Telecom plan would probably be the Xtra Broadband
    "Navigate" plan for $69.95 per month, with 10GB per month and $20 extra per
    GB for usage over 10GB. "Navigate" is claimed to be up to 50x faster than
    dial-up, and I guess the 2Mbps Telstra cable option would be much the same?

    I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband phone
    line (ADSL) plans. The Telstra cable 512 kbps upstream rate is faster then
    the Telecom maximum upload speed of 128Kbps. I have heard that cable high
    speed internet provides close to the 2Mbps downstream all the time, whereas
    the phone line broadband downstream speed is more variable and can run a lot
    slower than 2Mbps at times, according to phone line conditions and traffic-
    is this correct?

    TelstraClear also has a 10Mbps cable downstream option called "lightspeed",
    which I don't think has been matched yet by Telecom?

    In other words, is cable fibre optics high speed internet the way of the
    future and preferable to phone-line broadband? Does Telecom have plans to
    introduce cable high speed internet?

    Thanks for your input.

    Gary

    Gary L T, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:55:09 +1200, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >I have been reading about the residential high speed cable internet provided
    >by TelstraClear. The high speed 5G plan for $59.95 per month plus $10.95 for
    >cable modem rental seems to be a good option with its 2Mbps downstream / 512
    >kbps upstream. The nearest Telecom plan would probably be the Xtra Broadband
    >"Navigate" plan for $69.95 per month, with 10GB per month and $20 extra per
    >GB for usage over 10GB. "Navigate" is claimed to be up to 50x faster than
    >dial-up, and I guess the 2Mbps Telstra cable option would be much the same?
    >
    >I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    >TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband phone
    >line (ADSL) plans. The Telstra cable 512 kbps upstream rate is faster then
    >the Telecom maximum upload speed of 128Kbps. I have heard that cable high
    >speed internet provides close to the 2Mbps downstream all the time, whereas
    >the phone line broadband downstream speed is more variable and can run a lot
    >slower than 2Mbps at times, according to phone line conditions and traffic-
    >is this correct?
    >
    >TelstraClear also has a 10Mbps cable downstream option called "lightspeed",
    >which I don't think has been matched yet by Telecom?
    >
    >In other words, is cable fibre optics high speed internet the way of the
    >future and preferable to phone-line broadband? Does Telecom have plans to
    >introduce cable high speed internet?
    >
    >Thanks for your input.
    >
    >Gary

    Cable is 10 times more reliable than ADSL, no micro outages for one thing and
    the speed is more reliable..

    Phone lines were never meant for High speed Data but Cable is..

    XP, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Gary L T

    steve Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    > I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    > TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband
    > phone line (ADSL) plans.

    TelstraClear's offering is better. Once it's in and working you'll have few
    problems - based on my own several years of experience with them. You can
    have a static IP, too...making it easy to run your own servers and the 512k
    upstream is HUGE for online game playing....and you can even host the games
    from your house.

    However - Their customer service system is crap.....and has been ever since
    they dismantled Saturn.

    The only phone company more arrogant than Telecom NZ would have to be
    Telstra - which is TC's parent company.

    But go cable - you (probably) won't regret it.

    steve, Sep 25, 2005
  4. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Gary L T wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    >> TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband
    >> phone line (ADSL) plans.

    > TelstraClear's offering is better. Once it's in and working you'll have
    > few
    > problems - based on my own several years of experience with them. You can
    > have a static IP, too...making it easy to run your own servers and the
    > 512k
    > upstream is HUGE for online game playing....and you can even host the
    > games
    > from your house.
    >
    > However - Their customer service system is crap.....and has been ever
    > since
    > they dismantled Saturn.
    >
    > The only phone company more arrogant than Telecom NZ would have to be
    > Telstra - which is TC's parent company.
    >
    > But go cable - you (probably) won't regret it.

    Thanks very much for these replies. I didn't realise there would be much
    difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps for upstream data. If you are not
    into gaming, would you notice the difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps
    in many applications?

    Gary L T, Sep 25, 2005
  5. Gary L T

    Phstpok Guest

    Gary L T stubbed out the damp squib on 26/09/2005 10:01 a.m.and tried to
    bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gary L T wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    >>>TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband
    >>>phone line (ADSL) plans.

    >>TelstraClear's offering is better. Once it's in and working you'll have
    >>few
    >>problems - based on my own several years of experience with them. You can
    >>have a static IP, too...making it easy to run your own servers and the
    >>512k
    >>upstream is HUGE for online game playing....and you can even host the
    >>games
    >>from your house.
    >>
    >>However - Their customer service system is crap.....and has been ever
    >>since
    >>they dismantled Saturn.
    >>
    >>The only phone company more arrogant than Telecom NZ would have to be
    >>Telstra - which is TC's parent company.
    >>
    >>But go cable - you (probably) won't regret it.
    >>

    > Thanks very much for these replies. I didn't realise there would be much
    > difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps for upstream data. If you are not
    > into gaming, would you notice the difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps
    > in many applications?

    Other apps such as running your own web radio station, or hosting mpegs
    etc. would benefit from the higher upspeed link.

    One thing that pursueded me to switch to cable is that data downloaded
    from a nz based site is only counted at 10% of the international rate,
    which is good for keeping under your data cap. It is a pleasure to be
    able to download 20gb worth of Mandriva from a local server and have no
    worries about data caps, as well as taking very little time.

    I've only had a couple of queries for the help-droids, and both were
    quickly and easily dealt with. Maybe I got lucky, but no complaints
    about service.

    Phstpok, the friendly alien

    Phstpok, Sep 25, 2005
  6. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "Phstpok" <> wrote in message

    > Gary L T stubbed out the damp squib on 26/09/2005 10:01 a.m.and tried to
    > bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    >> Thanks very much for these replies. I didn't realise there would be much
    >> difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps for upstream data. If you are
    >> not into gaming, would you notice the difference between 512 kbps and 128
    >> kbps in many applications?

    > Other apps such as running your own web radio station, or hosting mpegs
    > etc. would benefit from the higher upspeed link.
    >
    > One thing that pursueded me to switch to cable is that data downloaded
    > from a nz based site is only counted at 10% of the international rate,
    > which is good for keeping under your data cap. It is a pleasure to be able
    > to download 20gb worth of Mandriva from a local server and have no worries
    > about data caps, as well as taking very little time.
    >
    > I've only had a couple of queries for the help-droids, and both were
    > quickly and easily dealt with. Maybe I got lucky, but no complaints about
    > service.

    Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high speed
    internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people there are on
    cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is, because everyone in
    the street shares the same cable. However, with ADSL, there is apparently a
    dedicated port at the Exchange for each phone number, and thus ADSL is
    faster? Can anyone explain this for me, is it correct? I was told by Telstra
    that there is a dedicated internet "line" within the cable and thus cable is
    far superior to ADSL as far as consistent high speed goes!

    Gary L T, Sep 25, 2005
  7. Gary L T

    PAM. Guest

    "Gary L T" <> wrote in message news:43367498$...
    > I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    > TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband

    phone
    > line (ADSL) plans.

    What are you going to do with it the majority of the time?

    Also realise if you're downloading anything, it only goes as fast as the
    slowest part of the link.
    EG, if you;re downloading Toxic by Britney Spears (slurp!) through a file
    sharing application and the other guy on the other end is on 56K, you'll
    only download it at 56K.

    Telecoms advert says UP TO x50 faster. That does not mean you always get
    that.
    When I had 56K dial up I would get between 0-7kbps download on a file share
    app. Generally 2-4kbps. Now that I have 2Mb download, I get 0-20kbps.
    Usually either 10kbps or 1kbps. Downloading Enlightenment .iso took me about
    15 hours in total. These values are through bittorrent. However, on the
    upside, downloading a 5Mb AVG anti-virus update from a dedicated server
    that's nice and fast takes 30 seconds.

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 25, 2005
  8. Gary L T

    shannon Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    > "Phstpok" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Gary L T stubbed out the damp squib on 26/09/2005 10:01 a.m.and tried to
    >> bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    >>> Thanks very much for these replies. I didn't realise there would be much
    >>> difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps for upstream data. If you are
    >>> not into gaming, would you notice the difference between 512 kbps and
    >>> 128 kbps in many applications?

    >> Other apps such as running your own web radio station, or hosting mpegs
    >> etc. would benefit from the higher upspeed link.
    >>
    >> One thing that pursueded me to switch to cable is that data downloaded
    >> from a nz based site is only counted at 10% of the international rate,
    >> which is good for keeping under your data cap. It is a pleasure to be
    >> able to download 20gb worth of Mandriva from a local server and have no
    >> worries about data caps, as well as taking very little time.
    >>
    >> I've only had a couple of queries for the help-droids, and both were
    >> quickly and easily dealt with. Maybe I got lucky, but no complaints about
    >> service.

    > Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high
    > speed internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people
    > there are on cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is,
    > because everyone in the street shares the same cable. However, with ADSL,
    > there is apparently a dedicated port at the Exchange for each phone
    > number, and thus ADSL is faster? Can anyone explain this for me, is it
    > correct? I was told by Telstra that there is a dedicated internet "line"
    > within the cable and thus cable is far superior to ADSL as far as
    > consistent high speed goes!

    TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
    bandwidth.
    Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
    branches off.
    With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if the
    remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of contention
    ratio effects.
    The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially for
    their usenet server.

    shannon, Sep 26, 2005
  9. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Gary L T wrote:

    >> Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high
    >> speed internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people
    >> there are on cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is,
    >> because everyone in the street shares the same cable. However, with ADSL,
    >> there is apparently a dedicated port at the Exchange for each phone
    >> number, and thus ADSL is faster? Can anyone explain this for me, is it
    >> correct? I was told by Telstra that there is a dedicated internet "line"
    >> within the cable and thus cable is far superior to ADSL as far as
    >> consistent high speed goes!

    > TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
    > bandwidth.
    > Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
    > branches off.
    > With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if the
    > remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of contention
    > ratio effects.
    > The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
    > for
    > their usenet server.

    Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
    explanation.

    One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
    second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
    router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently). Does
    anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that is
    compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?

    Thanks, Gary

    Gary L T, Sep 26, 2005
  10. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    > Thanks very much for these replies. I didn't realise there would be much
    > difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps for upstream data. If you are not
    > into gaming, would you notice the difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps
    > in many applications?

    Yes, you can send emails and not have the entire connection grind to a halt
    while the email goes out.

    You can actually use voip and the internet at the same time.

    It will be easier for you to maintain a good ratio on torrent sites.

    Richard, Sep 26, 2005
  11. Gary L T

    shannon Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    > "shannon" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Gary L T wrote:

    >>> Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high
    >>> speed internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people
    >>> there are on cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is,
    >>> because everyone in the street shares the same cable. However, with
    >>> ADSL, there is apparently a dedicated port at the Exchange for each
    >>> phone number, and thus ADSL is faster? Can anyone explain this for me,
    >>> is it correct? I was told by Telstra that there is a dedicated internet
    >>> "line" within the cable and thus cable is far superior to ADSL as far as
    >>> consistent high speed goes!

    >> TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
    >> bandwidth.
    >> Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
    >> branches off.
    >> With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if
    >> the remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of
    >> contention ratio effects.
    >> The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
    >> for
    >> their usenet server.

    > Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
    > explanation.
    >
    > One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
    > second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
    > router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently).
    > Does anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that
    > is compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?
    >
    > Thanks, Gary

    Yes, there are quite a few available.
    I use a Linksys WRT54G which is a solid performer available from vendors
    like ascent.co.nz for about $160.
    It has a bonus of an active 3rd party developer community which produce
    enhanced software with added features.

    shannon, Sep 26, 2005
  12. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    >>TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
    >>bandwidth.
    >>Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
    >>branches off.
    >>With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if the
    >>remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of contention
    >>ratio effects.
    >>The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
    >>for
    >>their usenet server.

    They are both right in a way, the local RF cable network is shared between all
    the customers connected to it, but correct provisioning ensures its not a
    problem - In the states where they dont have this concept of usage caps and such
    low speeds, then yeah, the local cable span can get conjested, so they need to
    provision more channels for data rather then TV.

    > Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
    > explanation.
    >
    > One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
    > second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
    > router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently). Does
    > anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that is
    > compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?

    Virtually any of the routers out there. I would avoid dlink if I was you however.

    Richard, Sep 26, 2005
  13. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in message
    > "Gary L T" <> wrote in message
    >> I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    >> TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband

    > phone
    >> line (ADSL) plans.

    > What are you going to do with it the majority of the time?
    >
    > Also realise if you're downloading anything, it only goes as fast as the
    > slowest part of the link.
    > EG, if you;re downloading Toxic by Britney Spears (slurp!) through a file
    > sharing application and the other guy on the other end is on 56K, you'll
    > only download it at 56K.

    Thanks PAM for this info. I have a wide variety of things I do on internet,
    and this ties up the ordinary phone line, which doesn't always please other
    members of the family! So it makes sense to me to have high speed internet
    rather than paying for a second phone line, and seeing we have TC's cable
    already installed on the section, I have to use this option if I want to
    keep my phone with Telstra (i.e. TelstraClear are not permitted to install
    ADSL when cable is present). Even just downloading the daily virus updates
    from AVG takes a while now that their updates are often as large as 700 or
    800k for some reason. Downloads for my firewall (Zone Alarm) are about 9Mb,
    and I am now doing a Google Earth update for 11Mb which will take more than
    half an hour! Incidentally, I would think that Google Earth would go a lot
    better at 2Mbps rather than at dial up speed! You make a good point that
    your internet download only goes as fast as the slowest part of the link,
    but I guess there wouldn't be many commercial servers that send out data at
    less than 2Mbps?

    Gary L T, Sep 26, 2005
  14. Gary L T

    steve Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    > Thanks very much for these replies. I didn't realise there would be much
    > difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps for upstream data. If you are not
    > into gaming, would you notice the difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps
    > in many applications?

    If you don't run any servers.....no. It doesn't matter.

    steve, Sep 26, 2005
  15. Gary L T

    steve Guest

    Phstpok wrote:

    > I've only had a couple of queries for the help-droids, and  both were
    > quickly and easily dealt with. Maybe I got lucky, but no complaints
    > about service.

    Getting someone to answer the phone was always the hard part.

    45 minutes on hold was not unusual at all.

    steve, Sep 26, 2005
  16. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:54:14 +1200, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >"shannon" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Gary L T wrote:

    >>> Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high
    >>> speed internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people
    >>> there are on cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is,
    >>> because everyone in the street shares the same cable. However, with ADSL,
    >>> there is apparently a dedicated port at the Exchange for each phone
    >>> number, and thus ADSL is faster? Can anyone explain this for me, is it
    >>> correct? I was told by Telstra that there is a dedicated internet "line"
    >>> within the cable and thus cable is far superior to ADSL as far as
    >>> consistent high speed goes!

    >> TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
    >> bandwidth.
    >> Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
    >> branches off.
    >> With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if the
    >> remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of contention
    >> ratio effects.
    >> The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
    >> for
    >> their usenet server.

    >Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
    >explanation.
    >
    >One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
    >second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
    >router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently). Does
    >anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that is
    >compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?
    >
    >Thanks, Gary

    I have used this Cheap one with no problems..

    XP, Sep 26, 2005
  17. Gary L T

    shannon Guest

    XP wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:54:14 +1200, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >>> TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
    >>> bandwidth.
    >>> Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax
    >>> that branches off.
    >>> With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if
    >>> the remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of
    >>> contention ratio effects.
    >>> The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
    >>> for
    >>> their usenet server.

    >>Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
    >>explanation.
    >>
    >>One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
    >>second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
    >>router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently).
    >>Does anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that
    >>is compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?
    >>
    >>Thanks, Gary
    >>

    > I have used this Cheap one with no problems..
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=337148

    ROTFL
    Priceless
    You just posted after you got it that the DHCP didn't work.
    What happened ?

    shannon, Sep 26, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 26, 2005
  19. PAM. wrote:
    >>I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    >>TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband

    > phone
    >
    >>line (ADSL) plans.

    > What are you going to do with it the majority of the time?
    >
    > Also realise if you're downloading anything, it only goes as fast as the
    > slowest part of the link.
    > EG, if you;re downloading Toxic by Britney Spears (slurp!) through a file
    > sharing application and the other guy on the other end is on 56K, you'll
    > only download it at 56K.

    FWIW probably slower, 56K modems are generally only 34K upstream

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 26, 2005
  20. steve wrote:
    >>I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
    >>TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband
    >>phone line (ADSL) plans.

    > TelstraClear's offering is better. Once it's in and working you'll have few
    > problems - based on my own several years of experience with them. You can
    > have a static IP, too...making it easy to run your own servers and the 512k
    > upstream is HUGE for online game playing....and you can even host the games
    > from your house.
    >
    > However - Their customer service system is crap.....and has been ever since
    > they dismantled Saturn.
    >
    > The only phone company more arrogant than Telecom NZ would have to be
    > Telstra - which is TC's parent company.
    >
    > But go cable - you (probably) won't regret it.

    The other big advantage of TelstraClear over Telecom NZ that no one has
    mentioned yet is the fact you can get broadband from TelstraClear
    without a requirement to purchase a landline from them. Unlike Telecom
    where to get DSL you must purchase a phoneline from them which is going
    to cost ~$35 extra per month

    This gives you other options, such as using VoIP - like the iTalk
    service from Slingshot www.italk.co.nz at $10/month with an 09 number
    and free local calling and 5c/min calling to quite a lot of places
    around the globe.

    My 2c

    Cheers
    Nathan