    Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
    incoming signal?

    Thank you very much.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Jack Gillis

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    > sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
    >
    > Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
    > incoming signal?

    If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
    on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 22, 2006

  3. Jack Gillis

    Mac Cool Guest

    Jack Gillis:

    > My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    > sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

    So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
    switching cables.

    --
    Mac Cool

    Mac Cool, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    >> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
    >>
    >> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
    >> incoming signal?

    > If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    > identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
    > on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
    >
    > RichC

    Thank you Rich. That is precisely what I wanted to know.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 23, 2006
  5. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "Mac Cool" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Gillis:
    >
    >> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    >> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

    > So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
    > switching cables.
    >
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    Thanks Mac. Would never have thought of that.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Jack Gillis

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Rich Clark" <> wrote:

    >"Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    >> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
    >>
    >> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
    >> incoming signal?

    >If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    >identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
    >on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
    >
    >RichC

    Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable TV.

    GMAN, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Jack Gillis

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Jack Gillis" <> wrote:

    >"Mac Cool" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack Gillis:
    >>
    >>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    >>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

    >> So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
    >> switching cables.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mac Cool

    >Thanks Mac. Would never have thought of that.

    Neither did RichC ;p

    GMAN, Dec 23, 2006
  8. Jack Gillis

    Rich Clark Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "Rich Clark"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    >>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
    >>> incoming signal?

    >>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    >>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
    >>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
    >>
    >>RichC
    >>

    > Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
    > receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
    > TV.

    You're right. I completely blanked that this wasn't an NTSC TV.

    Rich

    Rich Clark, Dec 23, 2006
  9. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "Rich Clark"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    >>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
    >>> incoming signal?

    >>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    >>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
    >>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
    >>
    >>RichC
    >>

    > Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
    > receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
    > TV.

    Thank you. But that helps answer a question about how they are to be used.
    Now, how do they differ electronically, if at all.

    Thanks again.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, "Rich Clark"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message

    >>>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    >>>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the
    >>>buttons
    >>>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
    >>>
    >>>RichC
    >>>

    >> Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
    >> receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog
    >> cable TV.

    > You're right. I completely blanked that this wasn't an NTSC TV.
    >
    > Rich

    It is supposed, at least by the specifications on the Circuit City site, to
    have both standards. Does that matter?

    Jack Gillis, Dec 23, 2006
  11. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "Rich Clark"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
    >>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
    >>> incoming signal?

    >>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    >>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
    >>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
    >>
    >>RichC
    >>

    > Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
    > receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
    > TV.

    Whoops. I forgot to ask something. Thank you for your patience.

    Does the Antenna Air connection handle Standard Definition in the same way
    cable connection does?

    Which connection on a Wide Screen HDTV should the cable from the wall be
    hooked to in order to get the best picture in Standard Definition with 4:3
    aspect ratio.

    What is happening here is that I am just now learning what questions to ask
    to solve an annoying problem. It is all new to me.

    Thanks again.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 23, 2006
  12. Jack Gillis

    Company Man Guest

    > "Mac Cool" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack Gillis:
    >>
    >>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to
    >>> signal
    >>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

    >> So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
    >> switching cables.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mac Cool

    > Thanks Mac. Would never have thought of that.

    Should you get upgrade to digital cable, be sure to get a HD enabled
    cable box and use the appropriate component or HDMI input to your tv.
    ESPN in HD and Discovery HD Theater are both very worhwhile HD content
    choices; but since your set has an off air digital tuner, I can
    understand any reluctance you may have about spending additional funds
    on your cable...but you will have to probably have to cope with the
    still somewhat flaky off air digital reception.

    Company Man, Dec 25, 2006
  13. Jack Gillis

    Goro Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, "Rich Clark"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>"Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message

    > >>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
    > >>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
    > >>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
    > >>
    > >>RichC
    > >>

    > > Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
    > > receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
    > > TV.
    > >

    > Thank you. But that helps answer a question about how they are to be used.
    > Now, how do they differ electronically, if at all.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    I don't know for sure, but i wonder if the ATSC tuner is connected to
    the OTA input and the QAM tuner is associated with the Cable input?

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 25, 2006