    --
    Visit Flights Of Fantasy...
    http://eternity.home.comcast.net/
    ~*Eternity*~, Feb 21, 2004

  2. ~*Eternity*~

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:35:01 -0500, "~*Eternity*~" <>
    wrote:

    >I have cable internet running a Linksys 4-port router. My question is, I
    >will be getting DSL soon and I was wondering if I will need to get any
    >different type cable to run from the router to each computer.

    No.

    >I have the
    >CAT5 (I think crossover, whichever is the standard) cable now. Will this
    >work with DSL?

    Yes.

    Your existing network cable will be fine.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 21, 2004

  3. ~*Eternity*~

    ~*Eternity*~ Guest

    "Dan Shea" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:35:01 -0500, "~*Eternity*~" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have cable internet running a Linksys 4-port router. My question is, I
    > >will be getting DSL soon and I was wondering if I will need to get any
    > >different type cable to run from the router to each computer.

    > No.
    >
    > >I have the
    > >CAT5 (I think crossover, whichever is the standard) cable now. Will this
    > >work with DSL?

    > Yes.
    >
    > Your existing network cable will be fine.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dan

    Thank you!
    Eternity
    ~*Eternity*~, Feb 21, 2004
  4. ~*Eternity*~

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:51:48 -0500, "~*Eternity*~" <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you!
    >Eternity

    You're welcome.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 21, 2004
  5. "~*Eternity*~" <> wrote in message
    > I have cable internet running a Linksys 4-port router. My question is, I
    > will be getting DSL soon and I was wondering if I will need to get any
    > different type cable to run from the router to each computer. I have the
    > CAT5 (I think crossover, whichever is the standard) cable now. Will this
    > work with DSL?
    > Thanks
    > Eternity
    >
    > --
    > Visit Flights Of Fantasy...
    > http://eternity.home.comcast.net/

    The only problem you m ay run into is that a lot of DSL providers are using
    PPPOE, which requries you to authenticate with a username and password
    before you can use the DSL. Make sure that your Linksys router supports
    PPPOE. It should support, and if it doesnt, a firmware update should make
    it compatible.

    BleepingComputer.com
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

    The Website devoted to helping the novice computer user learn basic
    concepts of computing and how to solve computing problems quickly
    and easily.
    BleepingComputer.com, Feb 22, 2004
  6. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:50:09 GMT, "BleepingComputer.com"
    <> wrote:

    >The only problem you m ay run into is that a lot of DSL providers are using
    >PPPOE, which requries you to authenticate with a username and password
    >before you can use the DSL. Make sure that your Linksys router supports
    >PPPOE. It should support, and if it doesnt, a firmware update should make
    >it compatible.

    It should support it, as you said, since my older DLink supports it,
    and it's at least 5-6 years old now... But, a thought as well, if it
    doesn't support it, or for a slightly easier setup. On Bellsouth.net
    with a Westell modem, the software once programmed my user name and
    password into the modem, then until I logged in directly and restored
    factory settings, it'd act just like a standard cable modem.... It
    automatically connected, got the IP address and everything.... The
    only problem is my Router was setup to detect the presence of the
    internet, then upon connection login to dyndns.org and update my
    dynamic IP address... If you program your name and password into the
    modem its self, the router will then think your IP address is a local
    IP address the cable modem issues the computer, and will then publish
    the wrong IP address to your dynamic IP address name.... But if you
    just want an easy to setup drop-in replacement, hook up the dsl modem
    to the computer via USB, program your user name and password, remove
    it, power it off, hook up the eithernet cable to the router and your
    good to go.....
    John H. Guillory, Feb 23, 2004