Cable Select On New DVD Burner Drives ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Will start a new thread, as this question is a bit different from what I
    asked a while back.

    My PC (old) came configured as Cable-Select for its drives.

    Wish to purchase, by mail, an internal IDE DVD Burner / Reader.

    A few phone calls to the seller sites results in the conclusion that nobody
    knows what cable select is. Sure do wish that Comp USA didn't go out of
    business around here.

    None of the product descriptions on the various vendor web sites seem to
    mention whether the drive is cable-select configurable, or not. Have read
    that "some" are not.
    Possibly it's mentioned on the outside of the particular box it is packaged
    in; don't know.

    Is it a reasonable assumption that just about all drives that one might
    purchase these days does have a jumper for cable-select ? Or, too big an
    assumption ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Jan 16, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Robert11

    John Holmes Guest

    Robert11 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Will start a new thread, as this question is a bit different from what
    > I asked a while back.
    >
    > My PC (old) came configured as Cable-Select for its drives.
    >
    > Wish to purchase, by mail, an internal IDE DVD Burner / Reader.
    >
    > A few phone calls to the seller sites results in the conclusion that
    > nobody knows what cable select is. Sure do wish that Comp USA didn't
    > go out of business around here.
    >
    > None of the product descriptions on the various vendor web sites seem
    > to mention whether the drive is cable-select configurable, or not.
    > Have read that "some" are not.
    > Possibly it's mentioned on the outside of the particular box it is
    > packaged in; don't know.
    >
    > Is it a reasonable assumption that just about all drives that one
    > might purchase these days does have a jumper for cable-select ? Or,
    > too big an assumption ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob
    >
    >
    >


    Don't use cable select, you'll need a special IDE cable to get it
    working. Just jumper the drives to master and slave.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Robert11

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:43:46 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Will start a new thread, as this question is a bit different from what I
    > asked a while back.
    >
    > My PC (old) came configured as Cable-Select for its drives.
    >
    > Wish to purchase, by mail, an internal IDE DVD Burner / Reader.
    >
    > A few phone calls to the seller sites results in the conclusion that
    > nobody knows what cable select is. Sure do wish that Comp USA didn't go
    > out of business around here.
    >
    > None of the product descriptions on the various vendor web sites seem to
    > mention whether the drive is cable-select configurable, or not. Have
    > read that "some" are not.
    > Possibly it's mentioned on the outside of the particular box it is
    > packaged in; don't know.
    >
    > Is it a reasonable assumption that just about all drives that one might
    > purchase these days does have a jumper for cable-select ? Or, too big
    > an assumption ?


    It's a very safe assumption that any (IDE) drive will have a jumper for
    CS, MA, or SL.

    Not sure why you're so hung up on CS... You can certainly use it, but
    it's not really any harder to configure one drive as MA and the other as
    SL.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    Ahhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg
    Dan C, Jan 16, 2009
    #3
  4. Robert11

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:05:35 +0100, John Holmes wrote:

    > Don't use cable select, you'll need a special IDE cable to get it
    > working. Just jumper the drives to master and slave.


    Bullshit. No "special" cable needed.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    Ahhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg
    Dan C, Jan 16, 2009
    #4
  5. Robert11

    Dave Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    >
    > Wish to purchase, by mail, an internal IDE DVD Burner / Reader.
    >
    > A few phone calls to the seller sites results in the conclusion that nobody
    > knows what cable select is. Sure do wish that Comp USA didn't go out of
    > business around here.
    >
    > None of the product descriptions on the various vendor web sites seem to
    > mention whether the drive is cable-select configurable, or not. Have read
    > that "some" are not.
    > Possibly it's mentioned on the outside of the particular box it is packaged
    > in; don't know.
    >
    > Is it a reasonable assumption that just about all drives that one might
    > purchase these days does have a jumper for cable-select ? Or, too big an
    > assumption ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob
    >
    >



    Any IDE DVD burner will have Master, Slave, and Cable Select jumper
    settings. The Master device will go on the black end of the IDE cable;
    the Slave on the middle connector. The coloured connector connects to
    the motherboard.
    Dave, Jan 16, 2009
    #5
  6. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:43:46 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Will start a new thread, as this question is a bit different from what I
    >asked a while back.
    >
    >My PC (old) came configured as Cable-Select for its drives.
    >
    >Wish to purchase, by mail, an internal IDE DVD Burner / Reader.
    >
    >A few phone calls to the seller sites results in the conclusion that nobody
    >knows what cable select is. Sure do wish that Comp USA didn't go out of


    CS isn't exactly new, so that's not much of an answer.

    >business around here.
    >
    >None of the product descriptions on the various vendor web sites seem to
    >mention whether the drive is cable-select configurable, or not. Have read
    >that "some" are not.
    >Possibly it's mentioned on the outside of the particular box it is packaged
    >in; don't know.


    More likely the online / printed manual then the description / box.

    >Is it a reasonable assumption that just about all drives that one might
    >purchase these days does have a jumper for cable-select ? Or, too big an


    Yes.

    I have a EIDE - LG CDROM Nov 1997 with CS/SL/MA , LG DVD RW Jan 2004
    also CS/SL/MA. The other LD DVD DL RW is maybe 2006/2007 and the same.

    >assumption ?


    No.


    >Thanks,
    >Bob


    Me
    why?, Jan 16, 2009
    #6
  7. Robert11

    Doug Guest

    Actually that is correct...

    See;
    "To use cable select, both devices on the channel are set to the "cable
    select" (CS) setting, usually by a special jumper. Then, a special cable is
    used. This cable is very similar in most respects to the regular IDE/ATA
    cable, except for the CSEL signal. CSEL is carried on wire #28 of the
    standard IDE/ATA cable, and is grounded at the host's connector (the one
    that attaches to the motherboard or controller). On a cable select cable,
    one of the connectors (the "master connector") has pin #28 connected through
    to the cable, but the other (the "slave connector") has an open circuit on
    that pin (no connection)."

    @ http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html for reference.

    Moot point really as OP is already using CS so obviously has a proper cable.
    Just pointing out that this is not (as you say) "bullshit." A cable not
    wired for cable select won't work as such.

    Answering OP's question, I've never seen an IDE drive that didn't support
    CS.

    --

    D
    "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:05:35 +0100, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Don't use cable select, you'll need a special IDE cable to get it
    >> working. Just jumper the drives to master and slave.

    >
    > Bullshit. No "special" cable needed.
    >
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    > Ahhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg
    Doug, Jan 16, 2009
    #7
  8. Robert11

    John Holmes Guest

    Dan C "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:05:35 +0100, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Don't use cable select, you'll need a special IDE cable to get it
    >> working. Just jumper the drives to master and slave.

    >
    > Bullshit. No "special" cable needed.
    >
    >


    You fucking idiot.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2009
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JustMe

    Cable Select Strapping o drives

    JustMe, Jul 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    379
    Blinky the Shark
    Jul 5, 2004
  2. Travis
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    487
    Travis
    Sep 23, 2006
  3. DVD burner vs CD burner -- different?

    , Apr 12, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    965
    Aardvark
    Apr 13, 2007
  4. **    Frank    **

    How to select burner on DVD Shrink?

    ** Frank **, Apr 17, 2007, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    384
    AZ Nomad
    Apr 18, 2007
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    688
Loading...

Share This Page