    mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
    available through such a release?

    Thanks for any information.

    Peabody, Apr 8, 2010

  2. Peabody

    Ron Guest

    "Peabody" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
    > wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
    > device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
    > release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
    > shutter.
    >
    > Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
    > exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
    > mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
    > available through such a release?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    Canon DSLRs have electronic external shutter releases. There are several
    different models and all models don't work on all cameras. The half press
    function is available on some releases, or maybe all releases. They also
    have wireless releases. Check the B&H Photo web site for particulars.

    Ron

    Ron, Apr 8, 2010

  3. Peabody

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Apr 8, 5:10 pm, Peabody <> wrote:
    > I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
    > wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
    > device that is mouth activated.  My last exposure to a cable
    > release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
    > shutter.
    >
    > Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
    > exactly now the external shutter release works?  Is it still
    > mechanical, or is it electronic now?  Is the half-press function
    > available through such a release?

    Your best bet would be to google "spazz-proof oral shutter release".
    I am laughing to hard to do it for you.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Apr 9, 2010
  4. Peabody

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 09/04/2010 00:10, Peabody wrote:
    > I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
    > wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
    > device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
    > release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
    > shutter.
    >
    > Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
    > exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
    > mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
    > available through such a release?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    On teh Canon and Pentax DSLRs, there is a wire remote with two contacts:
    one for half-press (prefocus) and one for full press (shutter release).
    On the Pentax and entry-level Canon, the connector is a 2.5mm stereo
    jack, not that difficult to find, so one can build the wire remote of
    one's dreams <http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_pin-out/pin-out.php>.
    On the more expensive Canons, the connector is proprietary (N3) but the
    working is the same.
    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Apr 9, 2010
  5. Peabody

    DanP Guest

    On 8 Apr, 23:10, Peabody <> wrote:
    > I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
    > wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
    > device that is mouth activated.  My last exposure to a cable
    > release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
    > shutter.
    >
    > Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
    > exactly now the external shutter release works?  Is it still
    > mechanical, or is it electronic now?  Is the half-press function
    > available through such a release?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    See this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Contro...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270842235&sr=8-5

    There are some infrared remote controls that do not support half-
    press.

    DanP

    DanP, Apr 9, 2010
  6. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    Seymore says...

    > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
    > condition. Do you have fully functional use on your
    > left hand? How much functionality do you have in your
    > right hand, etc?

    Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
    so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
    to be moving. But when I try to grasp something and hold it
    still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
    starts. So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
    ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
    screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.
    Or, hold the camera steady and deliberately press the
    shutter.

    I do use a P&S, and the IS helps some, but to operate a DSLR
    I would really want a better solution. Most of what
    I've done with the P&S has involved a tripod and timer.
    I've learned to accomodate on a lot of things, and in this
    case it's just a question of finding a method that works.
    It's not a big deal really, just a question of thinking out
    of the box a bit - provided, of course, the camera doesn't
    hobble the effort right out of the box, such as the Pentax
    K-X, which has no external release port at all, and even
    there a mechanical solution would be possible.

    I think I could support the camera with the butt of the
    right hand without a tremor, and even change the dials
    and buttons ok on that side. But I just need some other
    mechanism to press the shutter. It could be something like
    a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
    said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.

    If the external shutter control is electronic, and if it has
    seperate contacts for half-press and full-press, then I know
    it can be done - it's just a question of functional design
    and implementation.

    Peabody, Apr 9, 2010
  7. Peabody

    DanP Guest

    On 9 Apr, 23:55, "Seymore" <> wrote:
    > "Peabody" <> wrote in message

    > > Seymore says...

    > > > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
    > > > condition.  Do you have fully functional use on your
    > > > left hand?  How much functionality do you have in your
    > > > right hand, etc?

    > > Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
    > > so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
    > > to be moving.  But when I try to grasp something and hold it
    > > still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
    > > starts.  So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
    > > ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
    > > screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.
    > > Or, hold the camera steady and deliberately press the
    > > shutter.

    > > I do use a P&S, and the IS helps some, but to operate a DSLR
    > > I would really want a better solution.  Most of what
    > > I've done with the P&S has involved a tripod and timer.
    > > I've learned to accomodate on a lot of things, and in this
    > > case it's just a question of finding a method that works.
    > > It's not a big deal really, just a question of thinking out
    > > of the box a bit - provided, of course, the camera doesn't
    > > hobble the effort right out of the box, such as the Pentax
    > > K-X, which has no external release port at all, and even
    > > there a mechanical solution would be possible.

    > > I think I could support the camera with the butt of the
    > > right hand without a tremor, and even change the dials
    > > and buttons ok on that side.  But I just need some other
    > > mechanism to press the shutter.  It could be something like
    > > a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
    > > said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.

    > > If the external shutter control is electronic, and if it has
    > > seperate contacts for half-press and full-press, then I know
    > > it can be done - it's just a question of functional design
    > > and implementation.

    > You sound full of sh*t TBH.

    There is a chance he is honest and you are a shithead.
    Big one.

    DanP

    DanP, Apr 10, 2010
  8. Ofnuts <> wrote:
    > On 09/04/2010 00:10, Peabody wrote:
    >> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
    >> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
    >> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
    >> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
    >> shutter.
    >>
    >> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
    >> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
    >> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
    >> available through such a release?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any information.

    > On teh Canon and Pentax DSLRs, there is a wire remote with two contacts:
    > one for half-press (prefocus) and one for full press (shutter release).

    Same for Sony DSLRs and probably most others. If the manufacturer only
    offers a cable release, a third party manufacturer is sure to offer a
    radio remote which does the half and full press.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Apr 10, 2010
  9. Peabody

    me Guest

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:10:31 -0500, Peabody
    <> wrote:

    >Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
    >exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
    >mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
    >available through such a release?

    At least in the Nikon line, some use a wireless infrared, some use
    wired electronic. Half press is there.

    me, Apr 10, 2010
  10. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:31:22 -0500, Peabody
    <> wrote:

    >Seymore says...
    >
    > > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
    > > condition. Do you have fully functional use on your
    > > left hand? How much functionality do you have in your
    > > right hand, etc?

    >Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
    >so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
    >to be moving. But when I try to grasp something and hold it
    >still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
    >starts. So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
    >ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
    >screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.

    I can't solder, play the piano, or putt very well. If a horrific
    slice is also a problem for you, I must have the same disorder as you
    do.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 10, 2010
  11. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > There is always the option of one of 50+ models of CHDK
    > supported Canon Powershot cameras too. If you install
    > CHDK on them then you can make a simple cable-release
    > using any USB plug, a small battery and a simple switch.

    Yes, my current camera is a Canon A590IS, which I bought
    because of CHDK. But I wanted to get a DSLR, and of course
    CHDK doesn't work on those cameras. That's why I was asking
    about how cable release worked on DSLRs, hoping that it was
    pretty much as simple with those cameras as with CHDK.

    > The problem you might run into with dedicated DSLR
    > electronic cable releases is that some of them are not a
    > simple momentary switch (as in the case of all CHDK
    > cameras). Some of them send a digital command signal
    > from the handset. This cannot be easily duplicated in
    > home-brewed special-purpose switches for some of them.

    Are there particular brands you know of that do this? So
    far as I've been able to find, the Canon DSLRs appear to use
    the simple voltage change method, but I don't know about
    Nikon, Sony or Pentax.

    Peabody, Apr 10, 2010
  12. Peabody

    Vance Guest

    On Apr 8, 3:10 pm, Peabody <> wrote:
    > I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
    > wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
    > device that is mouth activated.  My last exposure to a cable
    > release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
    > shutter.
    >
    > Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
    > exactly now the external shutter release works?  Is it still
    > mechanical, or is it electronic now?  Is the half-press function
    > available through such a release?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    Without a specific description of your particular symptomology, just
    your description of the movements that don't present a problem to you,
    the Canon release (which is simply electrical connections) and similar
    for other makes could work without modification, or only a minor
    mechanical modification. I would try that as a solution first if you
    are upgrading/switching to a DSLR. The key to an out of the box
    solution will be how small the required mechanical movement of the
    shutter release is. You can go to a camera store and check that out
    directly with the model you are considering and the cable release.

    If the cable release requires a finer degree of movement than you can
    manage, the mechanical switch can be replaced with one that is more
    inline with what your are capable of. For instance, a slide switch in
    place of the more common push button. While you may not be able to
    solder, there is probably a High School nearby with an electronics
    class. Any student can do it for you. All it would require is to cut
    the cable and wire in the new switch.

    There are more complex approaches which could be used such as a two
    button system, with the press of one button being the equvalent of the
    half press for exposure and auto-focus and the concurrent press of
    another button to result in the shutter release. That could actually
    be a better ergonomic design for actual camera use, since the two
    buttons could be placed in a location where they could be worked by
    two fingers of the right hand with the camera more or less held
    normally. If something like that is needed, again, a High School
    electronics class is a great resource. Students love real world
    projects that can also earn them extra credit and I think that would
    qualify.

    Vance

    Vance, Apr 10, 2010
  13. Peabody

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    Peabody <> wrote:

    > But I just need some other
    > mechanism to press the shutter. It could be something like
    > a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
    > said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.

    I made something like this that worked well- a standard cable release
    attached via the tripod mount with a pencil eraser extension to press
    the shutter button:

    http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Apr 10, 2010
  14. Peabody

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Apr 10, 2010
  15. Peabody

    Paul Furman Guest

    Peabody wrote:
    > Seymore says...
    >
    > > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
    > > condition. Do you have fully functional use on your
    > > left hand? How much functionality do you have in your
    > > right hand, etc?

    > Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
    > so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
    > to be moving. But when I try to grasp something and hold it
    > still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
    > starts. So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
    > ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
    > screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.
    > Or, hold the camera steady and deliberately press the
    > shutter.
    >
    > I do use a P&S, and the IS helps some, but to operate a DSLR
    > I would really want a better solution. Most of what
    > I've done with the P&S has involved a tripod and timer.
    > I've learned to accomodate on a lot of things, and in this
    > case it's just a question of finding a method that works.
    > It's not a big deal really, just a question of thinking out
    > of the box a bit - provided, of course, the camera doesn't
    > hobble the effort right out of the box, such as the Pentax
    > K-X, which has no external release port at all, and even
    > there a mechanical solution would be possible.
    >
    > I think I could support the camera with the butt of the
    > right hand without a tremor, and even change the dials
    > and buttons ok on that side. But I just need some other
    > mechanism to press the shutter. It could be something like
    > a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
    > said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.
    >
    > If the external shutter control is electronic, and if it has
    > seperate contacts for half-press and full-press, then I know
    > it can be done - it's just a question of functional design
    > and implementation.

    How about an infrared remote taped to the front of the camera so that it
    points at the sensor and can be triggered by the left hand?

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 11, 2010