    exclusively on the net due to software issues. I feel I will be using the old XP
    machine for a while yet.
    , Oct 2, 2007

  2. doS Guest

    get a router

    doS, Oct 2, 2007

  3. wrote...
    > I have a Webstar cable modem with a machine connected to its normal
    > Ethernet port. It also has a USB port.
    >
    > Can I connect another machine to the USB port without bothering the
    > other setup?
    >
    > I DON'T need both machines on at the same time.
    >
    > I tried it for a second but explorer couldn't reach the net... may
    > have been the firewall causing the problem... I changed to Windows
    > firewall... can shut it down if I have to... but would like to know
    > if this is possible before I screw everything up.
    >
    > If I connect the new machine to the Ethernet port instead of the old
    > machine, will the old one stop working when I put it back? In other
    > words, will the modem be re-configured?
    >
    > I'm concerned because the new one is Vista and I may not be ready to
    > use it exclusively on the net due to software issues. I feel I will
    > be using the old XP machine for a while yet.

    whut ya' tawkin' 'bout man?.....
    Tembang Sunda, Oct 2, 2007
  4. carlechka Guest

    "Tembang Sunda" <> wrote in message
    > wrote...
    >> I have a Webstar cable modem with a machine connected to its normal
    >> Ethernet port. It also has a USB port.
    >>
    >> Can I connect another machine to the USB port without bothering the
    >> other setup?
    >>
    >> I DON'T need both machines on at the same time.
    >>
    >> I tried it for a second but explorer couldn't reach the net... may
    >> have been the firewall causing the problem... I changed to Windows
    >> firewall... can shut it down if I have to... but would like to know
    >> if this is possible before I screw everything up.
    >>
    >> If I connect the new machine to the Ethernet port instead of the old
    >> machine, will the old one stop working when I put it back? In other
    >> words, will the modem be re-configured?
    >>
    >> I'm concerned because the new one is Vista and I may not be ready to
    >> use it exclusively on the net due to software issues. I feel I will
    >> be using the old XP machine for a while yet.

    > whut ya' tawkin' 'bout man?.....

    Ditto!!
    carlechka, Oct 2, 2007
  5. George Guest

    Tembang Sunda wrote:
    > wrote...
    >> I have a Webstar cable modem with a machine connected to its normal
    >> Ethernet port. It also has a USB port.
    >>
    >> Can I connect another machine to the USB port without bothering the
    >> other setup?
    >>
    >> I DON'T need both machines on at the same time.
    >>
    >> I tried it for a second but explorer couldn't reach the net... may
    >> have been the firewall causing the problem... I changed to Windows
    >> firewall... can shut it down if I have to... but would like to know
    >> if this is possible before I screw everything up.
    >>
    >> If I connect the new machine to the Ethernet port instead of the old
    >> machine, will the old one stop working when I put it back? In other
    >> words, will the modem be re-configured?
    >>
    >> I'm concerned because the new one is Vista and I may not be ready to
    >> use it exclusively on the net due to software issues. I feel I will
    >> be using the old XP machine for a while yet.

    I have a toshiba cable modem. My machine is connected with the ethernet
    connection. My woman's machine is right beside mine and connected with
    the usb connection. They both work perfectly.
    George, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Cary Guest

    George wrote:
    > Tembang Sunda wrote:
    >> wrote...
    >>> I have a Webstar cable modem with a machine connected to its normal
    >>> Ethernet port. It also has a USB port.
    >>>
    >>> Can I connect another machine to the USB port without bothering the
    >>> other setup?
    >>>
    >>> I DON'T need both machines on at the same time.
    >>>
    >>> I tried it for a second but explorer couldn't reach the net... may
    >>> have been the firewall causing the problem... I changed to Windows
    >>> firewall... can shut it down if I have to... but would like to know
    >>> if this is possible before I screw everything up.
    >>>
    >>> If I connect the new machine to the Ethernet port instead of the old
    >>> machine, will the old one stop working when I put it back? In other
    >>> words, will the modem be re-configured?
    >>>
    >>> I'm concerned because the new one is Vista and I may not be ready to
    >>> use it exclusively on the net due to software issues. I feel I will
    >>> be using the old XP machine for a while yet.

    > I have a toshiba cable modem. My machine is connected with the ethernet
    > connection. My woman's machine is right beside mine and connected with
    > the usb connection. They both work perfectly.

    All Toshiba cable modems from the PCX 1100U to the PCX 2600 allow the
    use of both interfaces if your ISP allows you two IPs. Most cable modems
    do not allow concurrent use of the USB and ethernet interfaces.

    Scientific Atlanta Webstars do not support the use of both interfaces at
    the same time.
    Cary, Oct 2, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:44:07 -0500, Cary <> wrote:

    >George wrote:
    > > Tembang Sunda wrote:
    > >> wrote...

    > > I have a toshiba cable modem. My machine is connected with the ethernet
    > > connection. My woman's machine is right beside mine and connected with
    > > the usb connection. They both work perfectly.
    > >

    >All Toshiba cable modems from the PCX 1100U to the PCX 2600 allow the
    >use of both interfaces if your ISP allows you two IPs. Most cable modems
    >do not allow concurrent use of the USB and ethernet interfaces.
    >
    >Scientific Atlanta Webstars do not support the use of both interfaces at
    >the same time.

    Thanks for the info... maybe I'll try a router...

    Does the router need one machine to be a controller? Never set one up before...
    , Oct 3, 2007
  8. Cary Guest

    Desdemona wrote:

    > Thanks for the info... maybe I'll try a router...
    >
    > Does the router need one machine to be a controller? Never set one up

    before...

    Unplug cable modem, PC, and router from AC power.

    One ethernet cable runs from your cable modem to the WAN or internet
    port of the router. Computers are then connected to the four LAN ports.

    Power up the cable modem. Wait until you see solid power and cable LEDs.
    Power up the router. Wait 60 seconds and power up the PC.

    Login to the router to configure it. In the case of a Linksys on cable,
    you should be online.
    Cary, Oct 3, 2007
  9. George <> wrote...
    > Tembang Sunda wrote:
    >> wrote...
    >>> I have a Webstar cable modem with a machine connected to its normal
    >>> Ethernet port. It also has a USB port.
    >>>
    >>> Can I connect another machine to the USB port without bothering the
    >>> other setup?
    >>>
    >>> I DON'T need both machines on at the same time.
    >>>
    >>> I tried it for a second but explorer couldn't reach the net... may
    >>> have been the firewall causing the problem... I changed to Windows
    >>> firewall... can shut it down if I have to... but would like to know
    >>> if this is possible before I screw everything up.
    >>>
    >>> If I connect the new machine to the Ethernet port instead of the old
    >>> machine, will the old one stop working when I put it back? In other
    >>> words, will the modem be re-configured?
    >>>
    >>> I'm concerned because the new one is Vista and I may not be ready to
    >>> use it exclusively on the net due to software issues. I feel I will
    >>> be using the old XP machine for a while yet.

    > I have a toshiba cable modem. My machine is connected with the
    > ethernet connection. My woman's machine is right beside mine and
    > connected with the usb connection. They both work perfectly.

    why are ya' tellin' me fer?
    Tembang Sunda, Oct 3, 2007