    --
    DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even when
    the computer is shut down?

    Doug Jones, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Doug Jones

    Otter Guest

    In news:R2Zyh.292639$,
    Doug Jones <> typed:

    > DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even
    > when
    > the computer is shut down?

    No, it's not necessary, but most people leave their ADSL modems connected
    and turned on. You might consider turning off and disconnecting your modem
    from the telephone line if there is lightning about.

    Otter, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Doug Jones

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:53:20 +1100, Otter Has Frothed:

    > In news:R2Zyh.292639$,
    > Doug Jones <> typed:
    >>
    >> DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even
    >> when
    >> the computer is shut down?

    > No, it's not necessary, but most people leave their ADSL modems connected
    > and turned on. You might consider turning off and disconnecting your modem
    > from the telephone line if there is lightning about.

    AHEM:

    Subject: cable modem

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Doug Jones

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:38:25 GMT, Doug Jones wrote:

    Twerp putting your msg below the sig line, it's been cut off.

    You could always ask, or see previous opinions on the subject in the
    internal BY newsgroups.

    You can turn it off however I think somewhere it says in BY T&C you have
    to leave it on to get updates etc.

    Turning it off for a holiday break should be okay.

    Me

    why?, Feb 9, 2007
  5. On 2007-02-09, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Otter waxed eloquently:
    > In news:R2Zyh.292639$,
    > Doug Jones <> typed:
    >>
    >> DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even
    >> when
    >> the computer is shut down?

    > No, it's not necessary, but most people leave their ADSL modems connected
    > and turned on. You might consider turning off and disconnecting your modem
    > from the telephone line if there is lightning about.

    It's always recommended to disconnect one's *cable* modem from the
    phone line, since it works *much* better connected to the cable....

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Feb 9, 2007
  6. On 2007-02-09, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, The Demon Prince of Absurdity
    waxed eloquently:

    snip

    > I always keep my cable modem unplugged from the phone jack. Call me
    > crazy...

    I keep my dsl modem unplugged from the cable outlet. I've found it works
    much better that way....

    The Old Sourdough, Feb 9, 2007
  7. Doug Jones

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    The Old Sourdough <> typed:
    > On 2007-02-09, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, The Demon Prince of
    > Absurdity waxed eloquently:
    >
    > snip
    >

    >> I always keep my cable modem unplugged from the phone jack. Call me
    >> crazy...
    >>

    > I keep my dsl modem unplugged from the cable outlet. I've found it
    > works much better that way....

    A deliberate ploy to see who was awake.

    Otter, Feb 9, 2007
  8. Doug Jones

    Vanguard Guest

    "Doug Jones" <> wrote in message

    > --
    > DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time
    > even when
    > the computer is shut down?

    Since everything in your post was after the sigdash delimiter used to
    denote the start of the signature, the body of your post is empty.
    Beware that some NNTP client can be configured to strip out the fluff of
    signatures so your post would appear completely blank.

    Vanguard, Feb 10, 2007