    connection, is it just because Wanadoo is a better ISP then NTL?

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Kenny

    Thor Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My daughter recently got 750K broadband from NTL cable. The engineer who
    > installed it told her that if she installed an NIC she would have a
    > better/faster connection but didn't explain why that was so. Why would it
    > be better using an NIC rather than USB? BTW I have a 512K connection via
    > Wanadoo and USB modem and it appears to be much faster than her 750K
    > connection, is it just because Wanadoo is a better ISP then NTL?

    your daughter's cable connection--750Kbit/sec
    USB 1.1 throughput---------------12,000Kbit/sec (12megabit)
    USB 2.0 throughput---------------480,000Kbit/sec (480 megabit)
    High speed Ethernet NIC----------100,000Kbit/sec (100 megabit)

    Any of the interface options is going to be more than adequate to handle the
    max bandwidth of the broadband connection she has. The USB connection might
    use a bit more CPU overhead than the LAN connection though. That is the only
    real disadvantage I see, and it is a small one. As for why yours seems
    faster, well it's hard to say, but cable broadband is often shared bandwidth
    with other users in the area, so your daughter is likely not actually
    getting the full 750Kbit/sec throughput. That figure is an optimal
    best-case-scenario, not necessarily what you can get all the time.

    Thor, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > My daughter recently got 750K broadband from NTL cable. The engineer who
    > > installed it told her that if she installed an NIC she would have a
    > > better/faster connection but didn't explain why that was so. Why would it
    > > be better using an NIC rather than USB? BTW I have a 512K connection via
    > > Wanadoo and USB modem and it appears to be much faster than her 750K
    > > connection, is it just because Wanadoo is a better ISP then NTL?

    > your daughter's cable connection--750Kbit/sec
    > USB 1.1 throughput---------------12,000Kbit/sec (12megabit)
    > USB 2.0 throughput---------------480,000Kbit/sec (480 megabit)
    > High speed Ethernet NIC----------100,000Kbit/sec (100 megabit)

    If I'm not mistaken, even an old 10 baseT NIC is still faster then the
    cable modem. Correct?

    Plato, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Kenny

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > > My daughter recently got 750K broadband from NTL cable. The engineer

    who
    > > > installed it told her that if she installed an NIC she would have a
    > > > better/faster connection but didn't explain why that was so. Why

    would it
    > > > be better using an NIC rather than USB? BTW I have a 512K connection

    via
    > > > Wanadoo and USB modem and it appears to be much faster than her 750K
    > > > connection, is it just because Wanadoo is a better ISP then NTL?

    > > your daughter's cable connection--750Kbit/sec
    > > USB 1.1 throughput---------------12,000Kbit/sec (12megabit)
    > > USB 2.0 throughput---------------480,000Kbit/sec (480 megabit)
    > > High speed Ethernet NIC----------100,000Kbit/sec (100 megabit)

    > If I'm not mistaken, even an old 10 baseT NIC is still faster then the
    > cable modem. Correct?

    Yup.

    Thor, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > If I'm not mistaken, even an old 10 baseT NIC is still faster then the
    > > cable modem. Correct?

    > Yup.

    grin, dont toss those old 3com isa nics out just yet that were all
    flashed to irq 3 before modems were popular ;)

    ps remember the hassle back in the win3.x days when folks often got pcs
    from work with nics on irq3 and of course the mouse on irq4 ie com1 and
    you had to put in a modem?

    setting jumpers on the controller cards and such? ie enabling and
    disabling. back when geeks had to be real geeks.....manually configuring
    trumpet winsock to get your local non-aol dial-up to work..........

    Plato, Sep 4, 2004
  7. Kenny

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > > If I'm not mistaken, even an old 10 baseT NIC is still faster then the
    > > > cable modem. Correct?

    > > Yup.

    > grin, dont toss those old 3com isa nics out just yet that were all
    > flashed to irq 3 before modems were popular ;)
    >
    > ps remember the hassle back in the win3.x days when folks often got pcs
    > from work with nics on irq3 and of course the mouse on irq4 ie com1 and
    > you had to put in a modem?
    >
    > setting jumpers on the controller cards and such? ie enabling and
    > disabling. back when geeks had to be real geeks.....manually configuring
    > trumpet winsock to get your local non-aol dial-up to work..........

    ahh, the bad old days. heh heh.

    Thor, Sep 4, 2004