    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim S, Aug 30, 2007

  2. Jim S

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim S wrote:
    > I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on
    > dial-up. Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial
    > out my telephone on a cable modem?

    Yes. If you understand the parameters of yes and don't get 'loose' with
    the words 'on a cable modem'.

    The parameters are that your internet connectivity is via your
    computer's ethernet connection to the cable modem, whereas and
    alternatively your computer must also have a telephone modem which
    telephone modem is connected to a POTS plainold telelphone line.

    Whereas and then when you want to dialup someone using your 'desktop
    phonebook telephone dialer' your computer uses its telephone modem
    connected to the POTS and sends dialing signals to it.

    If, OTOH ontheotherhand, you think you mean can you use your cable
    modem's connectivity to access a POTS telephone line, then the answer is
    'no'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 30, 2007

  3. Jim S

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:55:20 GMT, Jim S <> wrote:

    >I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    >Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    >telephone on a cable modem?

    None that I've seen.
    Evan Platt, Aug 30, 2007
  4. Jim S

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    >I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    > Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    > telephone on a cable modem?
    > --

    Okay. To clear things up a little for you, your desktop phone book used the
    computers modem to dial the phone. That's because the modem is connected to
    the phone line. Is your cable modem connected to the phone line? No. (Or at
    least I hope not.)

    So the short answer is NO, your desktop phone book software cannot tell your
    cable modem to dial the phone which it is not connected to (and cannot be
    connected to).

    BUT! If you used to be on dial up, you had a modem, right? Do you still have
    that modem? If so, your desktop phone book program can use that modem to
    dial your phone, if you hook it back up to the phone line.

    Got it?

    Now, if you happen to be using VOIP, that's a whole 'nother set of problems.
    WhzzKdd, Aug 30, 2007
  5. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:34:33 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    >> Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    >> telephone on a cable modem?
    >> --
    >>

    > Okay. To clear things up a little for you, your desktop phone book used the
    > computers modem to dial the phone. That's because the modem is connected to
    > the phone line. Is your cable modem connected to the phone line? No. (Or at
    > least I hope not.)
    >
    > So the short answer is NO, your desktop phone book software cannot tell your
    > cable modem to dial the phone which it is not connected to (and cannot be
    > connected to).
    >
    > BUT! If you used to be on dial up, you had a modem, right? Do you still have
    > that modem? If so, your desktop phone book program can use that modem to
    > dial your phone, if you hook it back up to the phone line.
    >
    > Got it?

    Yep.
    Which socket on the modem LINE or PHONE goes to the wall socket (adaptor)?
    My phone has a flat plug so it cannot go to the modem.

    Jim S, Aug 30, 2007
  6. Jim S

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:34:33 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    >>> Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    >>> telephone on a cable modem?
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> Okay. To clear things up a little for you, your desktop phone book used
    >> the
    >> computers modem to dial the phone. That's because the modem is connected
    >> the phone line. Is your cable modem connected to the phone line? No. (Or
    >> at
    >> least I hope not.)
    >>
    >> So the short answer is NO, your desktop phone book software cannot tell
    >> your
    >> cable modem to dial the phone which it is not connected to (and cannot be
    >> connected to).
    >>
    >> BUT! If you used to be on dial up, you had a modem, right? Do you still
    >> have
    >> that modem? If so, your desktop phone book program can use that modem to
    >> dial your phone, if you hook it back up to the phone line.
    >>
    >> Got it?

    > Yep.
    > Which socket on the modem LINE or PHONE goes to the wall socket (adaptor)?
    > My phone has a flat plug so it cannot go to the modem.

    Connect the LINE of your computer modem to the wall socket.
    WhzzKdd, Aug 30, 2007
  7. Jim S

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:00:29 +0000, Jim S wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:34:33 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    >>> Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    >>> telephone on a cable modem?
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> Okay. To clear things up a little for you, your desktop phone book used the
    >> computers modem to dial the phone. That's because the modem is connected to
    >> the phone line. Is your cable modem connected to the phone line? No. (Or at
    >> least I hope not.)
    >>
    >> So the short answer is NO, your desktop phone book software cannot tell your
    >> cable modem to dial the phone which it is not connected to (and cannot be
    >> connected to).
    >>
    >> BUT! If you used to be on dial up, you had a modem, right? Do you still have
    >> that modem? If so, your desktop phone book program can use that modem to
    >> dial your phone, if you hook it back up to the phone line.
    >>
    >> Got it?

    > Yep.
    > Which socket on the modem LINE or PHONE goes to the wall socket (adaptor)?
    > My phone has a flat plug so it cannot go to the modem.

    Line goes to the wall plug.
    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2007
  8. Jim S

    Plato Guest

    Jim S wrote:

    > I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    > Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    > telephone on a cable modem?

    Sure, as long as you have a real fax/modem installed.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 31, 2007
  9. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On 31 Aug 2007 02:26:04 -0500, Plato wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    >> Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    >> telephone on a cable modem?

    > Sure, as long as you have a real fax/modem installed.

    I have and I have now set it up. I hear it dial out, but it doesn't seem to
    'catch' ie the dial tone stays in the background along with an engaged
    signal.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Aug 31, 2007
  10. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    Re: Cable modem to phone out? [update]

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:55:20 GMT, Jim S wrote:

    > I have a desktop phone-book which could dial out when I was on dial-up.
    > Is it possible to use programs like this or Outlook to dial out my
    > telephone on a cable modem?

    I now find I can connect using pulse dialling, but not tone.
    Does that give any clue?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK