    not straight across or anything like that.

    Thanks,
    -Scott H.
    Scott H, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Scott H

    BlueDog2 Guest

    The Cable Person/Installer, should run you a new drop ! This should include
    an appropriate "splitter",outside the dwelling - then routed to the nearest
    access point - to connect to your PC. 90% of the installers I have had to
    deal with -- didn`t have a clue. This procedure eliminates any
    "interference", that the Tube/TV can stand (Inside Walls/with Cable Parallel
    to AC voltage) - but the PC can`t/don`t like.Don`t let em give you the crap
    about "shielding" either.

    BlueDog2, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Scott H

    why? Guest

    On 4 Aug 2003 13:13:03 -0700, Scott H wrote:

    >I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
    >feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
    >speed wise, would it be better to:
    >
    >1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
    >of cat5 to the computer

    You can't stretch CAT5 it tends to not work.

    >2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
    >computer.

    Ditto.

    >3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way

    Should not, I have a 20' of coax and upto 10m of UTP. The CAT5 routes
    better where as the slightly stiffer coax needs tacked down with cable
    clips.

    >Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
    >difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its

    As long as you don't have any sharp bends in either type of cable it
    should be fine.

    >not straight across or anything like that.

    Ask the installer to supply some extra cable, coax or buy a premade 50'
    length of CAT5.

    Try going under a floor / or over roof / attic to make it easier then
    several corners, watch for trip hazards and don't run it under a carpet
    / across doorways with out some protection as walking on it could lead
    to problems later on.
    Me
    why?, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Scott H

    Scott H Guest

    Unfortunately I'm in an apartment and would have to go through getting
    approval and what not before putting new holes in the walls, so I'd
    rather run cable (whether it be coax or cat5) rather than getting a
    new jack installed in the other room. Just wondering if it made a
    difference which kind I ran.

    Scott H, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Scott H

    Ryan Jarrett Guest

    > > The Cable Person/Installer, should run you a new drop ! This should

    include
    > > an appropriate "splitter",outside the dwelling - then routed to the

    nearest
    > > access point - to connect to your PC. 90% of the installers I have had

    > > deal with -- didn`t have a clue. This procedure eliminates any
    > > "interference", that the Tube/TV can stand (Inside Walls/with Cable

    Parallel
    > > to AC voltage) - but the PC can`t/don`t like.Don`t let em give you the

    crap
    > > about "shielding" either.
    > > "Scott H" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
    > > > feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
    > > > speed wise, would it be better to:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
    > > > of cat5 to the computer
    > > >
    > > > 2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
    > > > computer.
    > > >
    > > > 3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way
    > > >

    > > > Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
    > > > difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its
    > > > not straight across or anything like that.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > -Scott H.

    Not entirely sure what hardware you're using, and what kind of cash you're
    prepared to spend, but small router and wireless lan access setup could
    eliminate cables. Sorry if this doesn't help much, but it is an
    alternative. Wireless runs at 11Mbps so it would not inhibit internet
    access speeds.
    Ryan Jarrett, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Scott H

    BlueDog2 Guest

    I`d probably swing towards "routing the coax" internally,as opposed to the
    equivalent length of cat 5. Reason being - the cable installer should
    provide & test the coax. Plus,having your cable modem that far away from the
    PC - makes it hard to troubleshoot.if you have a problem ! So, If I had your
    choices - # 2

    BlueDog2, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Scott H

    John Hudson Guest

    Coaxial is cheaper on you to let them run and you will not notice any
    "speed" difference with the extra corners that you may have as stated you
    would want to have the modem close at hand for issues that are to be seen.
    but the modems and the connection software they have in place are self
    upgrading and need very little upkeep on your part

    John Hudson, Aug 6, 2003