    used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.

    tia

    William Hamilton, Apr 14, 2005

  2. William Hamilton

    grolschie Guest

    "William Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    news:d3l3o5$kis$...
    > I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
    > want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

    the
    > cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
    >
    > I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

    never
    > used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    > nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
    >
    > tia

    Yeah, nasty cable modems that don't allow NAT for multiple pcs on a
    LAN. Easy to fix though. Simple method is to get a crappy old Pentium
    1 (<$50) or II pc and use Freesco Linux http://www.freesco.org/

    Basically it's a minimal Linux install that boots from a floppy or
    Fat32 partition and simply does routing. Boot from the floppy,
    configure. When it's all working, copy the floppy to a small harddrive
    and forget.

    Plug the linux box and all the RJ45 sockets into a network switch
    (<$50 for an 8 port). Plug in your computers and your X-box and play.
    You will need to figure manual IP's or DHCP into this equation.

    I set up a box for a client using Telstra/Paradise cable, and the box
    sat in a cupboard without a monitor. No reboots or problems for
    months. I remember that the default Freesco install didn't have cable
    modem option as default, but wasn't hard to figure out.

    grol

    grolschie, Apr 14, 2005

  3. William Hamilton

    Dave Taylor Guest

    William Hamilton <> wrote in news:d3l3o5$kis$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
    > want to share the connection through the house (they have done all the
    > cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
    >
    > I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have never
    > used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    > nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
    >
    > tia

    Plonk in an IPCop, or Smoothwall , or M0n0, or FreeSCO, or Coyote Linux
    box.
    IPCop would be my choice...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 14, 2005
  4. William Hamilton

    Andrew Guest

    William Hamilton wrote:
    > I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
    > want to share the connection through the house (they have done all the
    > cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
    >
    > I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have never
    > used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    > nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
    >
    > tia

    I used something like this:

    not this exact one... but anyway

    I just plugged the telstra clear modem into this via ethernet, it has
    its own switch built in, so then all my other pc's plugged into this and
    bingo, all were on the network with internet

    Andrew, Apr 14, 2005
  5. William Hamilton

    shannon Guest

    William Hamilton wrote:
    > I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
    > want to share the connection through the house (they have done all the
    > cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
    >
    > I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have never
    > used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    > nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
    >
    > tia

    I'm a TC cable customer, I use a Linksys WRT54G router (with EWRT
    firmware) which I got from Ascent.
    It was $175 IIRC and its a router with wifi 802.11G and 4 port switch.
    Definitely the best solution in my experience.
    I've also used the Dick Smiths XH1151 router, e-smith, LEAF Bering,
    Freesco, Windows ICS etc. The DSE router has now been demoted to
    printserver.
    They all work, but the Linksys is the easiest to forward ports with, set
    up static DHCP leases etc. It supports UPnP.
    There are equivalent AP/routers from D-Link and others which should also
    be suitable.

    shannon, Apr 14, 2005
  6. William Hamilton

    grolschie Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > William Hamilton wrote:
    > > I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem.

    They
    > > want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

    the
    > > cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
    > >
    > > I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

    never
    > > used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    > > nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
    > >
    > > tia

    > I used something like this:
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=137612
    > not this exact one... but anyway
    >
    > I just plugged the telstra clear modem into this via ethernet, it

    has
    > its own switch built in, so then all my other pc's plugged into this

    and
    > bingo, all were on the network with internet

    Hey that's the ticket! What a cool device.
    grol

    grolschie, Apr 14, 2005
  7. William Hamilton

    shannon Guest

    grolschie wrote:
    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>William Hamilton wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem.

    > They
    >
    >>>want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

    > the
    >
    >>>cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
    >>>
    >>>I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

    > never
    >
    >>>used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    >>>nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
    >>>
    >>>tia

    >>I used something like this:
    >>
    >>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=137612
    >>not this exact one... but anyway
    >>
    >>I just plugged the telstra clear modem into this via ethernet, it

    > has
    >
    >>its own switch built in, so then all my other pc's plugged into this

    > and
    >
    >>bingo, all were on the network with internet

    > Hey that's the ticket! What a cool device.
    > grol

    DSE also rebadge it and sell it as their XH1151

    shannon, Apr 14, 2005
  8. William Hamilton

    Richard Guest

    grolschie wrote:
    > "William Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
    >>want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

    > the
    >
    >>cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
    >>
    >>I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

    > never
    >
    >>used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
    >>nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
    >>
    >>tia

    > Yeah, nasty cable modems that don't allow NAT for multiple pcs on a
    > LAN. Easy to fix though. Simple method is to get a crappy old Pentium
    > 1 (<$50) or II pc and use Freesco Linux http://www.freesco.org/

    Its not the modems job to do nat. That is the job of a router. I would prefer to
    have 2 seperate devices doing the 2 tasks rather then an integrated solution
    thats most likly lacking in some way.

    > Basically it's a minimal Linux install that boots from a floppy or
    > Fat32 partition and simply does routing. Boot from the floppy,
    > configure. When it's all working, copy the floppy to a small harddrive
    > and forget.
    >
    > Plug the linux box and all the RJ45 sockets into a network switch
    > (<$50 for an 8 port). Plug in your computers and your X-box and play.
    > You will need to figure manual IP's or DHCP into this equation.

    Last time I looked, freesco had no support for upnp so would not be suitable for
    xbox use, They may have sorted this out and added support for it by now however.
    There is also the issue of power consumption of even a shitty PC - I would guess
    that best case would be 50-60 watts, thats $6 a month in power, a dedicated
    linksys or similar would use quite a bit less

    > I set up a box for a client using Telstra/Paradise cable, and the box
    > sat in a cupboard without a monitor. No reboots or problems for
    > months. I remember that the default Freesco install didn't have cable
    > modem option as default, but wasn't hard to figure out.

    Usually the first and only failure I have seen on frescos is the floppydisk,
    with the constant contact of the head to the disk, it sticks after some time. If
    you are copying to HDD that would solve that issue however.

    Richard, Apr 14, 2005
  9. William Hamilton

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Usually the first and only failure I have seen on frescos is the
    > floppydisk, with the constant contact of the head to the disk, it sticks
    > after some time. If you are copying to HDD that would solve that issue
    > however.

    I've got a HDD based freesco box doing dial-on-demand for a client
    that's been running faultlessly for almost 3 years now so reliability
    doesn't seem to be an issue when running off HDD.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Apr 14, 2005
  10. Thanks for all the input. I have suggested either the Surecom swtich or
    WRT54G.

    cheers

    William Hamilton, Apr 15, 2005