    (she was getting lots of pop ups). I removed it, but it did not solve
    the problem. Any suggestions?

    , Sep 24, 2003

  2. techshare Guest

    Is the netgear device a router? I'd try using a router to isolate the
    problem. If not that, have you tried connecting the machine directly to the
    cable modem? Make sure you check and recheck your current network settings
    with ipconfig (taking appropriate action with the tool).

    techshare, Sep 24, 2003

  3. BLueCoBra Guest

    "Michael Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > Let me understand:
    > - Your friend has a cable modem that is using BOTH the Ethernet and USB
    > connections.
    > - The Netgear "hub" is actually a Netgear "Access Point/Router"
    >
    > 1) Normally cable modems are designed to use either port. Not both.

    I also have a Motorola Cable modem and it says in the manual that both ports
    can be used but not to the same computer/device (as far as I understood it).
    So I don't think that's part of the problem.
    But as far as using the USB port instead of the ethernet port is beyond me.
    Unless its really necessary, USB speeds are quite slower than ethernet
    speeds and will hinder the experience depending on the speed/bandwidth
    you're getting from your provider.
    Just my 2ยข
    --
    BLueCoBra