    the inside network?

    I'm assuming I would set the outside interface as DHCP - Is that correct?

    Thanks
    Gary, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Gary

    Darren Green Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > I have an internet connection through Cable Modem that gives me a dynamic IP
    > address - can I use a pix 515 as the firewall connected directly to the
    > Cable Modem? and then Connect the Pix to a Catalyst 2900 series switch on
    > the inside network?
    >
    > I'm assuming I would set the outside interface as DHCP - Is that correct?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Gary,

    As far as I am concerned you can configure the PIX firewall as a DHCP
    client, server or both. Assuming you wanted to set the outside interface
    to dynamically obtain an IP address from a DHCP server (typically used
    in SOHO implementations) you would need:

    ip address outside dhcp [setroute] [retry]

    The setroute option allows the PIX to obtain a default route from a DHCP
    server as well. In this instance you wouldn't need to configure the PIX
    with a default route.

    The inside interface would connect to your 2950.

    Regards

    Darren
    Darren Green, Dec 17, 2005