    compatible with a broadband phone system and/or Linux. Any ideas? If
    the cable really is disconnected, why is the computer light on when
    the Ethernet cable is connected?

    Joel Rubin, Jun 12, 2005

  2. Joel Rubin

    doS Guest

    shut down the pc. unplug power to modem for 30 sec.reconnect modem.wait 2
    min for modem to reaquire. restart pc.

    doS, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Joel Rubin

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:28:28 -0400, "doS" <>
    wrote:

    >shut down the pc. unplug power to modem for 30 sec.reconnect modem.wait 2
    >min for modem to reaquire. restart pc.

    I've rebooted (including shutting off the power to everything) n times
    where n is a much too large integer.

    Joel Rubin, Jun 12, 2005
  4. Joel Rubin

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:52:23 GMT, Joel Rubin wrote:

    >I have a Elite K7SEM (v. 1) m.b. with an onboard Realtek RTL8139/810x
    >ethernet interface. I have a Toshiba 2200 cable modem. I'm on Time
    >Warner Cable in Queens, NYC.
    >
    >When I connect my cable modem to the ethernet port, I get that a cable
    >is disconnected, even though all the lights including the computer

    Usually swap cables, check the pin / color connections / if the LEDS are
    on then it's not likely to be a mix between a patch or crossover cable.

    Sometimes maybe it's as simple as changing the PC NIC.

    >light on the cable modem are lit correctly.

    That will be WinXP / 2000 then?

    It may not be a hardware issue (in my case at least) a fully working
    system, overwrittem by XP keep showing this message.

    At work 2 very similar Dell laptops both Win 2000 / same docking
    stations one shows a cable disconnected every so often, the other never
    did.

    >When I connect my cable modem to the USB port with the Toshiba drivers
    >for Windows I'm connected OK.
    >
    >I'm told that Ethernet is slightly better - faster, USB may not be

    Ethernet is generally a lost faster.

    >compatible with a broadband phone system and/or Linux. Any ideas? If

    Don't know, but it's easier to share Ethernet and it's less of a
    processing hit on the CPU.

    >the cable really is disconnected, why is the computer light on when
    >the Ethernet cable is connected?

    If you mean the link light, it's a very basic test and can function even
    if the data LED doesn't. Normally both would be out at the same time.

    Me

    why?, Jun 12, 2005
  5. Joel Rubin

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a Elite K7SEM (v. 1) m.b. with an onboard Realtek RTL8139/810x
    >ethernet interface. I have a Toshiba 2200 cable modem. I'm on Time
    >Warner Cable in Queens, NYC.
    >
    >When I connect my cable modem to the ethernet port, I get that a cable
    >is disconnected, even though all the lights including the computer
    >light on the cable modem are lit correctly.
    >
    >When I connect my cable modem to the USB port with the Toshiba drivers
    >for Windows I'm connected OK.
    >
    >I'm told that Ethernet is slightly better - faster, USB may not be
    >compatible with a broadband phone system and/or Linux. Any ideas? If
    >the cable really is disconnected, why is the computer light on when
    >the Ethernet cable is connected?

    Have you tried to connect the ethernet to something else to verify the
    NIC works?

    Evan Platt, Jun 12, 2005